Did you mean: 
Need help?

Very slow broadband from going live last week

49 REPLIES
Highlighted
Frankiew
Team Player

Hello

My broadband service went live on Saturday 10th and the speed of my internet has been painfully slow since. I left it a few days as I know the new line needs to be tested with a low connection first but I have not seen any improvement at all since I went live on Saturday.

My estimated speed is between 2.1mb and 4.9mb and my lowest guaranteed speed is around 2mb, from running the Talk Talk speed Test many times the most I have ever managed is 0.4mb, not even close to the lower estimated average.

The Talk Talk speed tests I used were over WIFI and Cable both showing  0.4 / 0.2 at around 60ms. Although 7 times out of 10 I received a “socket error try later”.

I spoke to a member of the technical group on Tuesday, they did a line check and a router check but with no problems found and asked me to monitor the speed over the next 48 hours.

Since that day my grandson has come down with his net gear router and wire/filter, that he knows can manage at least 5mbps from his connection, he managed to connect it to my Talk Talk internet connection with my user name to see if my Talk Talk (HG633) router is at fault but he got the same outcome of 0.4 / 0.2. so can safely say that the router or cable/filter is not the problem.

He also tried the test socket on my master socket, which actually gave me a slower and more unstable connection.

The phone line sounds fine without noise as far as I can hear.

Could this be a phone line profile issue ? or un- optimised sync speed ?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Router Log.JPGRouter Connection Log

Community Team

Hi Frankiew,

I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential router fault. Just to confirm, which router is connected at the moment?

Thanks

Frankiew
Team Player

Hi thanks for the reply. My grandson checked the connection with his Netgear with no change in speed on tuesday night but it is the HG633 talk talk router that has been set up and currently connected. Still at same low speed.

Regards

Community Team

Hi Frankiew,

I've optimised the connection now, could you let us know if there is any improvement in speed over the next 24hrs.

As the line test has detected a potential router fault, would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes?

Thanks

Frankiew
Team Player

That would be great thank you. I will keep an eye on it. Fingers crossed. Thank you

Frankiew
Team Player

Hi,

Not much of a change i'm afraid. As you can see from the pictures below, the router has a connection of 512kb downstream and the Talk Talk speed check is still around the same result with a Ethernet cable connection.

Most web pages take 10 to 20 seconds to load and streaming at 360p low quality still stops to buffer every 10 seconds or so.

Regardslog 2.JPGRouter Connection Log 17/3/18

98.JPGTalk Talk Speed Test 17/3/18

Community Team

Hi Frankiew,

I've now raised this to our network team, can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates 

Thanks

Chris

Frankiew
Team Player

Do you mean leave a reply tommorrow. Can do.

Regards

Community Team
Frankiew
Team Player

Hi, I have been asked yesterday to check for any updates from the Network team today.

Regards 

Community Team

Thanks for the bump, there have been no updates yet so I'm chasing this up for you. If you don't hear anything later today can you bump the thread again tomorrow, hopefully we'll have more information then

Chris

Community Team

Hi Frankiew,

The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

To confirm you're the account holder can you PM (Personal Message) me with the following information: 

• Full Name
  • Home telephone number
  • Are you the account holder
  • How do we send the bills to you each month
  • What package do you have with TalkTalk

Note: Please do not post personal information directly in the Forums.

Thanks

Chris

Frankiew
Team Player

Just a few questions.

What type of engineer ? 

It is a new line that you sent a openworld engineer to fit on the 8th, the engineer fitted the new line in place of my old cable socket and therefore I was left with no phone until the 10th as my old cable was disconnected by the engineer.

Also what are the potential charges ? I only ask this as I'm only on a pension and didn't realise that if there was a problem with a new line that has been newly fitted as part of a contract that I would be liable to pay charges to fix aproblem that can only be caused by how it has been installed in the first place. 

I just dont want to end up even more out of pocket and still not have the garenteed minimum speed. As these problems and extra charges were not mentioned in the advertisement.

How much would I be looking at ? As I can't agree to a charge that i'm not told the price of before hand. Especially If I cant afford it.

Regards

Community Team

Hi Frankiew,

This will be an BT Openreach engineer and there's an explanation of the charges in the link I provided in my previous post -Engineer Charges

Chris

Frankiew
Team Player

I just don't understand why the faults were not checked when the line was installed on the 8th and now I may have to pay out to fix a problem caused by a new line which should have been checked in the first place. 

It will need to be a spacific day as I want my grandson to be there this time.

Regards

Community Team

Just let us know when you're grandson can be there and I've pass this over to our network team to arrange the engineer visit. Please give a couple of dates and time slots if possible, in case the first is booked up

Thanks

Chris

Frankiew
Team Player

These are the days my grandson can make sure he is at my house over the next few week.

Thurs 22nd March - morning or afternoon

Wed 28th March - morning or afternoon

Friday 30th March - morning or afternoon

Mon 2nd April - morning or afternoon

Thurs 5th April - morning or afternoon

Friday 13th April -  morning or afternoon

Community Team

OK, thanks. Could you PM me with the other information requested in my previous post and I'll ask our network team to book then engineer 

Chris

Community Team

Hi Frankiew,

I've passed on your availability, we'll let you know when we receive confirmation that the appointment has been booked

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi Frankiew,

I've received confirmation that the engineer visit has been booked for 28/03/2018 AM (08:00-13:00), please let us know how you get on

Chris