Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website Issue

devereux
Whizz Kid
Message 34 of 34

I have been trying to goto http://www.splashdowntickets.com/

The website fails to load with error "This site can’t be reached - www.splashdowntickets.com’s server IP address could not be found."

After a couple of days of trying and thinking there was a problem with the site as my internet is generally working well, I tried at work and got to the website with no issue at all.  The issue appears with all devices in my house, Apple iPad and iPhone, Andriod Tablet and Windows 10 Computers.

So tonight I looked into the issue further, I set a static IP on my office computer and used Googles DNS server 8.8.8.8 on my computer instead letting it use the router as DNS and then the routers auto obtained DNS servers from there.  The website then worked instantly and I was able to book my tickets.  I therefore know that this is a DNS issue in some way, able to resolve and visit with Google DNS in place, not able to visit with Router Talk Talk DNS servers in place.

A ping of the web address using Talk Talk DNS Servers errors with "Ping request could not find host www.splashdowntickets.com. Please check the name and try again."

A ping with Google DNS set shows

"Pinging www.splashdowntickets.com [5.133.178.147] with 32 bytes of data:"

followed by 4 lines of "Reply from 5.133.178.147: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=54"

resolving the address

As stated above the same behaviour is present on every device in the house and there is no question that this is a DNS issue.

My router is setup as default, no changes to the config other than altering of the DHCP range that it uses as I have some statically assigned devices, Cameras and TV System in the house.  The router gets its DNS Servers automatically assigned from TalkTalk, currently using 79.79.79.79 and 79.79.79.80 as its "Obtain DNS Automatically" settings on the Super Hub.

Internet speed as been good recently but this issue follows up on the fault I had over the last few months as in sometimes I could not get to some websites and sometime I could not.  Websites are generally now working all the time with the exception of the very few, in fact since the fault was resolved this is the first website I have been unable to get to.

This is most certainly a DNS issue, can you now using this 100% without doubt example resolve this problem.

I look forward to your swift response and resolution to the issue.

My profile is complete with my contact number and account linked and for note I do not want to use Google DNS permanently, I wish to make use of the kidssafe system shortly and need TalkTalk DNS to work correctly to do this.  The service being provided needs to work correctly.

0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 34

Hi devereux,

Thanks for the update and I'll pass your feedback on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 34

Afternoon

I was messing with this yesterday and noticed in My Account under Home Safe you can expand the settings, only noticed the turn off and on before even though it is very obvious that you can expand the settings with More options on the page, anyway I expanded the settings and one of the blocked categories is Gambling, turned that off and now I am able to access.  When turning back on I can no longer access the site obviously because Home Safe is set to no for gambling but it doesn't tell me that on the page, just get standard white internet page saying page cannot be found, did a couple of tests for things that should be blocked, entered the web address of a naughty site it the page displayed for that6 clearly say Home Safe stopping you going here.

So why it isn't showing the Home Safe page is stopping you for the lottery site I have no idea but I have turned off stop gambling now and can access the site.  Lottery is the only site of this nature I would try and access so only came across the issue recently after we turned Home Safe on but didnt link it to Home Safe due to lack of the Home Safe webpage not saying you can't go here.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 34

Hi Sunshiner,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own topic and we'd be happy to take a look for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 34

Hi devereux,

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Can I just confirm, have you recently tried the 30 minutes router power down again since being unable to access this specific site? Are you also unable the access the site on more than one device?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 34

Haven't been with talk talk 24hrs and spent most of that time getting IP address cannot be found. Not impressed

Message 6 of 34

superb, good for them

0 Likes

Message 7 of 34

3,999,999 or so customers seem to have no problem !

0 Likes

Message 8 of 34

@martswain 

Bit of a pointless comment that really, I don't care if other people can or cannot get to this website

I can't get to the website and for me that is all that matters, just as I couldn't get to the other website on this thread before they fixed the issue of getting to that website.  Think you will also find if you reread I can get there if I change my DNS server (which I should not have to do) and I have been able to buy my ticket in this way, I am sure fairly certain that every person other than yourself got the humour of the comment for who do I ask if my numbers come up.

@martswain wrote:

@devereux 

It would seem that out of 4 million customers only you have come here complaining about the National Lottery website !

If it was a serious network issue don't you think the forum would be inundated with complaints and it would even make the national press.

"TT wouldn't let me buy my winning ticket, I want compensation"

Message 9 of 34

@Gliwmaeden2 Thankyou

Message 10 of 34

@devereux 

It would seem that out of 4 million customers only you have come here complaining about the National Lottery website !

If it was a serious network issue don't you think the forum would be inundated with complaints and it would even make the national press.

"TT wouldn't let me buy my winning ticket, I want compensation"

Message 11 of 34

The thread had long since lapsed out of the workflow,  @devereux, so it wouldn't have been reaching staff.

I'll re-escalate it for you. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 12 of 34

Is there a reason this is just being ignored?

@OCE_Michelle @OCE_Chris @Karl-TalkTalk @StephenF 

Can someone please look into my issue, no response from TalkTalk for 15 days which is very unacceptable?

DNS Issue again on different website

https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/

Using TalkTalk DNS I get the error "This site can’t be reached"

Changing the Google 8.8.8.8 site loads straight away, toggle between the 2, cant access via TalkTalk DNS, can access via Google DNS.

As previous my office computer has static IP set.  It is set to DNS 192.168.1.1 which is the router.  Altering the DNS on this computer makes the site load.

Most certainly an issue with TalkTalk DNS

My TalkTalk router current looking to TalkTalk DNS Servers 79.79.79.79 and 79.79.79.80

I have Home Safe On but it is not homesafe has you get the homesafe warning screen if website is being stopped dues to Homesafe

A ping of www.national-lottery.co.uk with TalkTalk DNS set returns an IP 62.24.138.17

A ping of www.national-lottery.co.uk with Google DNS set returns an IP of 194.246.78.103

Look forward to DNS being being fixed so these odd website issues do not occur.

Regards

0 Likes

Message 13 of 34

@Michelle-TalkTalk @Chris-TalkTalk 

Can someone please look into my issue, no response from TalkTalk in over a week which is a little unacceptable?

Regards

0 Likes

Message 14 of 34

Can an OCE look at this, been almost a week with no response from TalkTalk staff.  Still unable to get to lottery website, who do I speak to should my numbers come up when I have not been able to put my ticket on.

Changing the Google 8.8.8.8 site loads straight away, toggle between the 2, cant access via TalkTalk DNS, can access via Google DNS.

As previous my office computer has static IP set.  It is set to DNS 192.168.1.1 which is the router.  Altering the DNS on this computer makes the site load.

My TalkTalk router current looking to TalkTalk DNS Servers 79.79.79.79 and 79.79.79.80

I have Home Safe On but it is not homesafe has you get the homesafe warning screen if website is being stopped dues to Homesafe

A ping of www.national-lottery.co.uk with TalkTalk DNS set returns an IP 62.24.138.17

A ping of www.national-lottery.co.uk with Google DNS set returns an IP of 194.246.78.103

0 Likes

Message 15 of 34

The router automatically picks up the DNS Servers from TalkTalk, these are not DNS servers I have set myself.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 16 of 34

Hi

OR (as you already are using)

IP address79.79.79.79
Address typePublic
Protocol versionIPv4
Network classClass A
Hostnamepublic-dns-a.as9105.net
Reverse lookuppublic-dns-a.as9105.net
ISPTalkTalk

0 Likes

Message 17 of 34

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 34

Hi devereux,

Thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 19 of 34

At present, this website is working

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 20 of 34

Hi devereux,

Thanks for the update. I'm not aware of any changes, is everything still ok at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes