cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

What BB speeds should I Expect ( a common question!)

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Team Player

Service: Fast Fibre. Time: more than a year. Training over ! Yesterday, bb off all day due to a local flood after downpour. 12hrs for it to come back. Dashboard reports:  Download 20.6 Mbs, Upload 7.0 Mbs. Is this the 'expected' ? 20 Mbs is not what I would call 'Fast'. Polite opinions appreciated. Due for renewal mid Sept, so, "Is it time for a move?"

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @MRPSENIOR ,

The maximum speed you can achieve is totally dependent on the length and quality of the copper phone line between your house and the street cabinet that it connects to. So a 'good' speed will be different for everyone.

When you joined TalkTalk they would have quoted you an expected speed range for your line and a minimum guaranteed speed.

You can use this site to get an idea of the maximum speed BT think your line could achieve.

The TalkTalk staff may also be able to respond to this topic next week to advise what your expected line speeds are. You may also be able to see info on your estimated speeds from TalkTalk on the Service Centre pages.

Also, if you have had a recent issue with your connection then this can cause the automated systems to reduce the speed of your line, however if the issue is now resolved the speeds should start to increase again within 2 or 3 days, the best thing to do is leave your router switched on 24/7, as too many disconnections by the router can fool the automated systems into thinking there is a fault and cause it to slow your connection down again.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi MRPSENIOR,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped. Is the voice service ok? Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player
Hi Michelle. Voice is OK. Speed tests over 4 eves = 18/19 download, 6.7/6.9 upload. Pretty poor really.
Highlighted
Team Player
Phone socket has just the one LJU
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi MRPSENIOR,

Sorry for the delay. I've posted on your other topic this morning.

Thanks