Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Wifi Dongle.

mzungu
Chat Champion
Message 6 of 6

I am running 2 PCs both plugged directly into a HG633 router and neither have the necessary s/ware for wifi.  Can anyone suggest a good USB wifi dongle that I can purchase.

Also if and when I start to use wifi other than passwords what other things do I have to consider?

Any help will be appreciated.

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

I always recommend alfa  to anyone looking for a good quality wireless adapter, here is a link, reasonably priced, with all the bells and whistles for the future .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MX57AO4/ref=psdc_430581031_t4_B00VEEBOPG

Poor is the man who's pleasure depends upon the permission of another.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

If this is just to tide you over there are plenty of cheap options on the likes of Amazon, look for a reputable make e.g. TP-Link.

@KeithFrench wrote:

... if you want to go to macOS, you are on your own.

Not sure why you say that @KeithFrench? Apple Macs have had wireless AC cards installed since 2013. As will any modern PC of course.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

You should really look for one that supports 802.11ac, anything else will be out of date. I would also recommend looking for one that supports what is called AC1200 or greater, you may not currently need a link rate between the adapter & router of 867Mbps, but again it helps to future proof the purchase. Next make sure it supports 5GHz channels 52 to about 104 as some only support 36  - 48 and they can be getting too congested now.

Obviously it must have Windows 7 & 10 drivers, if you want to go to macOS, you are on your own.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Basically I'll pay what is necessary. My Download speed is between 30 and 40 Mb. I'm running Windows 7 might be upgraded to Windows 10 or an Apple Mac

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

That very much depends on what you want to pay, how fast a connection you want between it & the router and your operating system.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes