Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Which Wifi Dongle.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Chat Champion

I am running 2 PCs both plugged directly into a HG633 router and neither have the necessary s/ware for wifi.  Can anyone suggest a good USB wifi dongle that I can purchase.

Also if and when I start to use wifi other than passwords what other things do I have to consider?

Any help will be appreciated.

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
Highlighted
Community Star

That very much depends on what you want to pay, how fast a connection you want between it & the router and your operating system.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Basically I'll pay what is necessary. My Download speed is between 30 and 40 Mb. I'm running Windows 7 might be upgraded to Windows 10 or an Apple Mac

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
Highlighted
Community Star

You should really look for one that supports 802.11ac, anything else will be out of date. I would also recommend looking for one that supports what is called AC1200 or greater, you may not currently need a link rate between the adapter & router of 867Mbps, but again it helps to future proof the purchase. Next make sure it supports 5GHz channels 52 to about 104 as some only support 36  - 48 and they can be getting too congested now.

Obviously it must have Windows 7 & 10 drivers, if you want to go to macOS, you are on your own.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Star

If this is just to tide you over there are plenty of cheap options on the likes of Amazon, look for a reputable make e.g. TP-Link.

@KeithFrench wrote:

... if you want to go to macOS, you are on your own.

Not sure why you say that @KeithFrench? Apple Macs have had wireless AC cards installed since 2013. As will any modern PC of course.

Highlighted
Team Player

I always recommend alfa  to anyone looking for a good quality wireless adapter, here is a link, reasonably priced, with all the bells and whistles for the future .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MX57AO4/ref=psdc_430581031_t4_B00VEEBOPG

Poor is the man who's pleasure depends upon the permission of another.