cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Why Is TalkTalk Simple Broadband So Slow Compared With Previous ISP

200 REPLIES
Highlighted
SayHovis
Wizz Kid

PC Conected by Ethernet cable

Cable Distance From Exchange 2.9km

HG633 talktalk router Hardware Version H.1.01

Software Version v1.15t

Line Standard ADSL_G.dmt.bis

Internet Connection

DSL synchronization status: Up

Connection status: Showtime

Line Quality Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 992

Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 5248

Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 7

Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6

Upstream interleave depth: 1

Downstream interleave depth: 1

Line standard: ADSL_G.dmt

Upstream line attenuation (dB): 25

Downstream line attenuation (dB): 21.5

Upstream output power (dBm): 12.5

Downstream output power (dBm): 18.5

Channel type: Fast

DSL up-time: 0 days 1 hour 35 minutes 26 seconds

Switched to TT 14 days ago now. Why is TT (4.3Mbps down 0.71Mbps up TTspeed test) simple broadband so slow compared with previous ISP PlusNet (6.5 Mbps) Sky (7Mbps)? Why is the Line Standard ADSL_G.dmt.bis and not ADSL2+? This is the same infrastructure bar the TT super router HG633.

Am I being fleeced for being an old sheep and following the flock into the TalkTalk pen.
brianthesnail
Wise Owl

Hi 

it depends on the hardware being used at the exchange ( known as DSLAM,s ) and some isp,s may not update their hardware which could affect performance,however other factors include quality of copper and routers supplied by the isp ... 

im no openreach enginner but theres many other factors between the exchange and the customers home ..... and these can also effect the speed of your broadband 

however your current downstream speed isnt that bad .... 5.2meg is not that bad and just under a meg for upstream is also acceptable .... 

finally theres noise and attenuation.. these can be adjusted by your isp and can also be changed by the OCE,s on the community .. and changes can improve your speed and more important can make your connection more stable 

i hope this helps 

good luck 

Please note, I do not work for TalkTalk, I'm a customer just like you. If you have found my comment or post useful, please hit Kudos so others know you found the information useful. If my post helped resolve your issue, please choose "Accepted Solution", it helps all other members who may have the same issue as you!
SayHovis
Wizz Kid

Hi brianthesnail

Many thanks for your comments.

I was thinking there may be a commercial element to this in that the exchange will not have an infinite capacity to deal with data. With the increasing popularity of Fibre broadband and that this is provided at a higher cost then this will have a higher priority. To maintain the capacity of the fibre system then the normal broadband system is nibbled away at reducing standard broadband customers download speed. This will have the additional positive for TalkTalk it may persuade further customer to witch to Fibre or something along these lines.

The speed advised by the TalkTalk speed test facility of 4.3Mbps download and 0.71Mbps upload seem very poor for the given the noise safety coefficient (dB) and the line attenuation (dB). for these settings then you would expect speeds to be for download, ADSL 7300Kbps to 7840Kbps, ADSL2 7300 Kbps to 9400 Kbps and ADSL2+ 17900 to 19750. There is also the many threads which question the reliability of the HG633 I am already on my second brand new router I note that there is the proposed Firmware v1.20t trial presumably the v1.18t proved a false dawn. If the internal are not up to the job then firmware upgrades are a just a flimsy sticking plaster. It is also interesting that you raise the question of quality of the equipment at the Telephone exchange. One thing is for certain this service could not be recommended to anyone.

Perhaps an OCE would care to comment or take a look at this and make a profile change toADSL2+.

Thanks Again

SayHovis

Am I being fleeced for being an old sheep and following the flock into the TalkTalk pen.
SayHovis
Wizz Kid

I found this (See Below) on another post with someone who's had a very similar problem to mine i.e.: their broadband was much slower than Plusnet only days after switching using exactly the same infrastructure bar for the HG633 router, once the router had settled down after the obligatory initial days of line testing. OCE_Karl is referencing the HG633 not a HG644. It seemi the HG633 (Super Router) is not all it is cracked up to be and would seem not fit for purpose and that if you want your service to match that of previous providers you have to factor in the cost of a decent router. This will make TT not as competitive as it at first seems.

Re: Slow broadband with TalkTalk

on ‎14-06-2016 12:18 PM

Hi,

There are no settings to adjust, some routes will connect at different rates based on the chipset they use. You can continue to use your netgear if you wish, if the wireless is not as good, you can also connect the HG644 to the netgear and use this as a wireless bridge.

Thanks OCE_Karl.

KeithFrench
Community Star

With a 21 db downstream line attenuation, you should be able to obtain a sync speed to the exchange of around 20M, with a speed test running at around 17 - 18M. The problem though is clearly that you are connected to the exchange as an ADSL 1 line, which restricts you ro 8M max. This is probably down to being on the wrong IP profile.

I will pass this to the OCEs now, to investigate this for you.

One further thought though, from your other thread I cannot remember what firmware revision your HG633 is on? From V1.16 onwards the HG633 has been mis-reporting the downstream & upstream line attenuation. My downstream line attenuation currently reports as 21dB (I wish), when it should be 61dB. I have highlighted this to the TalkTalk products team, to inform Huawei.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

SayHovis
Wizz Kid

Hi Keith

Firmware is V1.15t.

Thank you very much the very interesting comments and information.

I am concerned about the reliability of this TT issued equipment.

Thanks

SayHovis 

KeithFrench
Community Star

I have passed this on to the OCEs as promised, although you may not get a reply until tomorrow now.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

SayHovis
Wizz Kid

Hi Keith

Once again thankyou for help.

SayHovis

Community Team

Hi,

Your line is on the best profile and is in sync at 5.2mb.

This is the correct speed for a line length of 2.7km

Thanks

Karl. 

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Are you a Gamer? Have Standard Broadband ? Why not sign up for our latest Trial

SayHovis
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl,

Thank you for your response.

You do not explain what the error is that is causing this mismatch in the 2nd brand new TalkTalk issued HG633 router and its settings as set out above that give this poor performance, but I do see that these settings have now been destroyed suddenly, A great deal of activity showing in the HG633 System Log.

The new settings as follows:

Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 1032

Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 5254

Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 5.5

Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 3.2

Upstream interleave depth: 4

Downstream interleave depth: 16

Line standard: ADSL_G.dmt.bis

Upstream line attenuation (dB): 34.6

Downstream line attenuation (dB): 43.7

Upstream output power (dBm): 12.6

Downstream output power (dBm): 19.1

Channel type: Interleaved

DSL up-time: 0 days 2 hours 13 minutes 44 seconds

These settings a further deterioration from previous ISPs do not seem to concur with a line length of 2.7km.

Is this again the very poor performance and quality of the TalkTalk equipment as above by brianthesnail and the fragile performance of the TalkTalk issued HG633 router.

You would expect for line length of 2.7km speeds for ADSL 5310 to 6800Kbps, ADSL2 5550 to 6850Kbps ADSL2+ 8700 to 12000Kbps. Even with the high Downstream line attenuation (dB): 43.7 ADSL2+ 6000 to 9200 Kbps. I was not aware that as a result of the offers to persuade you to sign up to TalkTalk that it would be a necessity that you had to accept the penalty of broadband poor performance. This at time when TalkTalk are you would think trying to rebuild the public's confidence and trust.

Thanks

SayHovis

SayHovis
Wizz Kid

Hi All

It seems that TT equipment is not up to the job and the HG633 router is badly flawed false setting being reported when loged on the firmware Firmware version V1.15t. Why is ADSL2+ not available (Downstream Line  Attenuation (dB) less than 55, Downstream safety coefficient (dB) 3.6 I was lead to believe that this figure on TT went no lower than 6dB,) when  the exchange is ADSL2+ enabled? I wounder how many other pensioners are unaware that they are not receiving the best service that they should get is their possible lack of technical knowledge being taken advantage of. Does anyone know what the best medium priced router is best to use with ADSL broadband think about Billion7800DXL. 

Community Team

Hi SayHovis

I can try updating the firmware version to v1.16t, would you like to test this?

Thanks

Debbie

SayHovis
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie

May I thank you for your reply.

I wounder if this would be the resolution in view of Mr KeithFrench's comments taken from above, "From V1.16 onwards the HG633 has been mis-reporting the downstream & upstream line attenuation. My downstream line attenuation currently reports as 21dB (I wish), when it should be 61dB. I have highlighted this to the TalkTalk products team, to inform Huawei." 

It seems TT have big unresolved problems with this router that they issue for their broadband service, how can you be sure what service you are geting if you are given fale system reports. I wounder if Huawei issue special versions for testing by mags etc: to get good reports which give a false impression when considering whether to join TT.

Many Thanks

SayHovis

Community Team

Hi SayHovis

I understand how the router misreporting can be frustrating however this should not impact the performance of the connection.

Would you like to try this firmware version? (we can always roll back if not suitable)

Thanks

Debbie

SayHovis
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie

Once again thank you for your response.

Yes it is highly frustrating how can I establish the performance of the service if I can not establish the facts because of the false information displayed by the HG633. The downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): figure is not stable and fluctuates by the second  from 3.2 to 4 is this normal for the HG633. The official TT speed tester reported a download speed of 4.3 Mbps and an upload speed of 0.71 Mbps, with the current Sync of 5254 at 88.2% gives 4.6 Mbps so these ar similar but they the do not mach the speed of previous ISPs over exactly the same infrastructure the only difference is the TT issued router. Desperate times desperate measures, yes I would be grateful if you could facilitate the change in firmware version.

Thank for your assistance with this fault.

SayHovis

Community Team

Hi SayHovis

Please can you factory reset your router using the pin hole reset and we can then try and update the router firmware.

Thanks

Debbie

SayHovis
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie

Thank you for your response.

Pin hole factory reset done.

I notice that remote management is not enabled is that normal after pin hole on back of router factory reset.

Regards

SayHovis

Community Team

Hi SayHovis

Can you enable TR069 in the router settings? What is Enhanced Remote Management?

Thanks

Debbie

SayHovis
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

Thak you for your response

You can be the most skilled, conscientious and diligent work you could wish for but if TT do not give you decent tools to the job. This is like trying to cut a plank of wood with a bread knife TT and Heawei need to give you and their cliants a electic circular saw i.e a decent router this Heawei HG633 has a problem at every turn.

TR069 now enabled.

Regards

SayHovis

Community Team

Hi SayHovis

Thank you, please can you check to see if the firmware has now updated to v1.16t.

Debbie