Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my router require constant resetting ?

Vipersan
Team Player
Message 13 of 13

I rely on a reliable connection to monitor my mother webcam..she has serious dementia.

Ok it's inconvenient for me to keep resetting it ..but if I am not at home at the time...my mother is left vulnerable.

What's going on ?

I pay my bills regularly by direct debit ..so expect a solid service.

regards

E Parton.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Will do Karl..thanks for your help.

cheers

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hi

The new router will rule out a fault with the previous router.  Take as long as you need to test, and then get back to us here and let us know how things are going.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

I was watching a youtube video when I was suddenly 'dropped' again at 10:09 AM this morning ..

I took this as a cue to install the replacement router which arrrived yesterday.

Obviously I am reconnected thus I can post here.

I will update on this thread if it does not solve my issue.

Fingers crossed I do not lose connection going forward.

regards

Evan

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

Hi

Router is on the way.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Vipersan
Team Player
Message 6 of 13

Thanks Debbie ...please do ..

The router could be suspect I suppose.

It cant hurt to try a replacement.

No recent dropouts though I have seen a good amount of buffering when watching youtube etc.

rgds

Evan

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi Vipersan

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults - Line test is clear.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 13

When most items do a software / firmware update they will download the entire update first, then check the integrity of the downloaded data to ensure it is valid, and only then will it actually begin the update. So a drop of connection when applying an update should generally not be a problem, as the actual update won't start until it has all been downloaded successfully.

Vipersan
Team Player
Message 9 of 13

Thanxs for the replies..

I have checked already my phone line (audio) ...it is a clean dial tone from the landline..

I guess it could be intermittent.

Not so easy to get the router close to the master socket though.

In truth I dont believe the problem lies there...but I'm not a phone engineer.

If this persists I will try the service centre test..

I'm just thankful I got to perform a software update on my fairly expensive TV without the connection dropping...as theoretically it could have been bricked it.

This problem however is not new I had a few weeks of similar problems plus low internet speed last year..

Which was sorted by staff on this forum.

Basically it's happening again.

rgds

Evan

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 10 of 13

Hi @Vipersan,

As @martswain says, it would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on the line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If the master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help. You may get faster support from the live chat or calling customer services on 0345 172 0088 during opening hours.

Vipersan
Team Player
Message 11 of 13

The model is Huawei HG633 ...and the internet LED turns from flashing Green to solid Red when the connection is dropped.A reboot or powerdown and up again usually reconnects after a short wait.

rgds

Evan

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 12 of 13

What service and model of router do you have ?

What is actually dropping ?

The external connection to the internet or WiFi/LAN connections in your home ?

What messages do you get and what light(s) show on the router when you have the problem ?

Have you done a check via Service Centre ?

0 Likes