would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WiFi can't find Sonos

ANSWERED
106 REPLIES 106
silvergirl
Wizz Kid

I can see others have had the same problem - Sonos speakers keep dropping connection to WiFi and/or the Sonos App on the iPad and iPhone can't connect to WiFi every time. Sometimes it all works perfectly and sometimes it doesn't. Very frustrating indeed. Even when it does work I can be happily playing my music and it just stops. The WiFi signal isn't steady enough perhaps?

Has anyone worked out how to get round this please?

Silvergirl

Silvergirl
Community Team

Hi

Check the software / firmware is up to date on your sonos devices. 

One of the team had this issue with their own sonos device and found that updating it resolve the issue.

Thanks

Karl. 

silvergirl
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl

Thanks for your reply; I appreciate your help. I thought the system was updated as part of the installation last week but I have still checked the app on phone and iPad and both say my system is absolutely up to date so back to square one I'm afraid.

I have emailed Sonos and am waiting for a reply from them. I have seen other threads from people with the same problem but no one has a definitive solution. I know Sonos sell a Boost which is supposed to use a dedicated WiFi channel just for the speakers. Does that sound feasible to you? The speakers are brilliant, I didn't expect a connection problem as everything else works ok.

Silvergirl
Community Team

Hi silvergirl

Can I just check if any other devices experience any wireless issues?

Is the Sonos cutting out on everything for example, streaming and listening to the radio etc?

Thanks

Debbie

silvergirl
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie. As far as I am aware it is just the Sonos I have problems with. For example I needed to send them a diagnostics report through their app and I couldn’t connect the app this morning to be able to access the settings. Ten minutes later it worked.

I have the app on iPad and iPhone to operate the speakers and sometimes it opens and connects straight away and other times it just tells me I need a WiFi connection and it can’t find one even though the iPad is working fine with a good connection.

Sometimes it starts and is playing my music or radio station and it suddenly stops and tells me I can’t play it without a connection. In other words it has dropped it.

I will let you know what they say once they see the diagnostics. I am concerned because I know I am not the only one this happens to (see various threads on the forum) and also several other family members have the same system in their houses (with different ISPs) and no one has had this happen to them.

One interesting comment on the forum is that the new router seems to have caused the problems for someone and they didn’t have this with the old router. I really hope that isn’t the case after all the hassle I have had previously with my broadband connection. I really don’t want to play about with routers again as my PC is working ok. I joined Amazon Prime to have access to lots of music and it is such a shame it is spoiling it for me.

I hope you can shed some light on all this. Silvergirl.

Silvergirl
Community Team

Hi silvergirl

When the Sonos stops can you run a quick speed test to see what speed you are receiving? Can I also check when you last rebooted the router?

I can try sending a HG633 router to see how the connection compares. Please let me know if you would like to test this?

Thanks

Debbie

silvergirl
Wizz Kid

Hi again. I have to go out this morning but I will certainly check the speed if and when it happens when I am back.

i definitely do not want an “old” router - if you see way back through my thread I had untold problems with speed and consistency and I do not want to start changing things back again. In any case I have one of those routers, as that was what I had in the first place. I am not going backwards with all that to see if the speakers work as, surely, they should be compatible with any router?

When I first set up the Sonos it didn’t work straight away and the first thing they said to do was reboot the router so I did that and that was last week. Occasionally I have disconnected the iPad from the WiFi and tried the app again and it has worked - but sometimes that doesn’t help either. 

Silvergirl
Community Team

Hi silvergirl

Just got some further on advice on this. Would it be possible to connect all your other devices using 5ghz so only the Sonos is connected to 2ghz?

Thanks

Debbie

silvergirl
Wizz Kid

Hi. It should be possible - if I knew how! Can you tell me what to do please.

Silvergirl
silvergirl
Wizz Kid

14.53 pm Thursday

I have been listening to my music for about half an hour and suddenly it has gone on and off several times and now lost the connection. I immediately did a speedtest and on my iPad next to the router (usually my best speed) I got a downlload speed of 9.93 and upload of 2.88 with ping of 500+

Definitely an inconsistent broadband connection.

I look forward to your comments. Silvergirl

Silvergirl
silvergirl
Wizz Kid

Further to my 2 replies above, Sonos started working again so I was listening to radio and it happened again and I lost it again completely though the PC was still connected, if a bit slow. By 15.09pm it was back on again. I just can't have this situation. While typing this it has gone off again!!

Silvergirl
silvergirl
Wizz Kid

Good morning!

I have heard back from Sonos after the diagnostics and they can see there is a communication problem between my WiFi and the Sonos system.

They ask if I have a mesh network? I don’t know what this is. Can you enlighten me please?

They suggest I completely reboot my router and extender and then do the same with the Sonos speakers. I will do this later today and hope this sorts out the problem. I will keep you informed though, in the meanwhile, I would like to know from you why the broadband speedtests show I have an inconsistent connection.

Silvergirl

Silvergirl
Community Team

Hi silvergirl,

Thanks for the update 

Can you take a look at the following help article, if you then still need assistance please let us know 

Split your router's SSID

Once you've split the SSID's just connect all your devices (except Sonos) to the 5GHz band and then connect Sonos devices to 2.4GHz band

Thanks

Chris

silvergirl
Wizz Kid

Thanks for the link. At the moment I am holding my breath because I am hoping it is all working ok. I followed Sonos' instructions on what to reboot in which order and so far the system is operating correctly. Obviously it has to stand the test of time and if I have further problems I will try splitting the router's SSID.

I must comment that my broadband speed does seem to be slipping backwards which is disappointing after all the work on it earlier in the year.

Silvergirl

Silvergirl
silvergirl
Wizz Kid

Hello, Here I am again, in the same position. I had music yesterday afternoon and then suddenly it kept losing connection for no apparent reason.

I am beyond frustrated and really don't know what to do for the best.

Sonos has had further diagnostics from me and the latest reply from them is that Sonos can only connect to 2.4GHz so it would be best to change the name of the WiFi Boost SSID and then Sonos would ignore it and only use the router. Does that make sense?

They do also say that if the extender is needed for their connection then I should change the wireless channel so that it uses the same channel as the router, ideally with channels 1,6, or 11.

So far I have managed to go into my router admin page and I can see the channel names and what is connected to which GHz band but I do not feel confident in tweaking anything and I don't like feeling out of my depth. Please can you help me?

Silvergirl

Silvergirl
silvergirl
Wizz Kid

Hi. I have had a phone conversation with someone at TalkTalk who has changed my WiFi channel for me. I will have a follow-up call on Tuesday and with a lot of luck it may be ok from now. I will post again with results later.

Silvergirl

Silvergirl
silvergirl
Wizz Kid

Well things are going from bad to worse. I can't understand what TalkTalk did in changing my WiFi channels as they now show some stuff as connected by ethernet when it is wifi. All I do know is that I can only play 2 tracks of music and Sonos loses connection. Now I am stuck like it until Tuesday when they phone me again as they said not to alter anything.

I am at the point of wondering if the answer is to change provider - I had such a lot of stress previously over broadband speed and now I am not only not enjoying something that should be so simple to use but I am stressed out all over again.

Silvergirl

Silvergirl
Community Team

Hi silvergirl,

I'm sorry to hear this. @KeithFrench would you be able to offer any assistance in regards to the wireless connection?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @silvergirl 

@OCE_Michelle has asked me to help you. The most likely reason why your Sonos device cannot detect your wireless network is down to Wi-Fi interference.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Changing channels without investigating the local WiFi network is pointless, because you can easily move it to a channel that is worse than the first one.

Edit: I can provide a lot of help with diagnosing & hopefully getting this fixed for you. This will involve me sending you a guide to run a WiFi analyser on your network. If you want my help with this then please let me know (all totally free of charge)

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

silvergirl
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle & Keith

I am very grateful for your help. At the moment I feel overwhelmed as Sonos has come back to me with further suggestions and I am not sure which way to go. TalkTalk will be phoning me tomorrow so I will wait for that and see what they say about the channels as today I can't connect to Sonos at all.

Keith you are very kind to offer help and I may well take you up on that but I daren't dabble with anything yet until TalkTalk hopefully puts me back to how I was as I could then listen to music at least sometimes.

Incidentally, Sonos suggest removing my WiFi extenders to see if the Sonos speakers work as they may be causing the problem. The trouble is then I won't get decent broadband on my PC.

I apologise for seeking help from other avenues at the same time, I didn't know who could help me. I will post again after the TalkTalk phone call.

Silvergirl

Silvergirl