Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Hub DNS dropping

sojam4000
Team Player
Message 5 of 5

Hello

I have a Sagemcom FAST 5364-3.T8 TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub, version SG4K10002816t and every week or so, the internet stops working. Logging in to the router I can see that the internet connection is fine. And when I phone TalkTalk they confirm the connection is there. I've looked into this and I can see it's likely to be a problem with the DNS  on this router - others have suggested this is a bug with this router. 

Is there a firmware fix for this? Or could I be sent a replacement router?

Thanks.

Sam

Sam
0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

sojam4000
Team Player
Message 1 of 5

Many thanks for your help. I've applied those settings. Hopefully that will help until TalkTalk roll out the firmware fix. 

Sam

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 2 of 5

Hi @sojam4000,

It will depend on which screen in the router you amended the DNS settings as to whether that would potentially work around the problem. I'll post the instructions below on the setting your could change, where it says to insert the IP addresses for TalkTalk DNS you could of course use any DNS service that you like. If you have already changed the settings on the screen I describe below then you may be suffering from a different problem, however if you have changed the DNS settings in the other screen then you may first need to go back and set that screen back to 'Automatic', otherwise it might not let you amend the DNS settings on the screen I describe below.

Potential Workaround :

At present your router will be acting as the DNS server for all of your devices, so when the DNS stops working in your router all of your devices will lose internet access. However you could configure your router so that it just tells all of your devices to use the TalkTalk DNS servers directly, therefore your devices won't use the router as a DNS server, and so shouldn’t be affected if the routers DNS stops working.

If you wanted to try this you just need to follow the instructions for the 'Wi-Fi Hub' here (ensure you go to the screen described in this article, as there are two screens in the router where you can modify DNS settings, but you must change the settings on the specific screen described in this article for this potential fix to work).

If you have never changed these settings before you will probably find that the primary DNS server is set to 192.168.1.1 (i.e. the router itself). You could change the settings as follows :

Primary : 79.79.79.79
Secondary : 79.79.79.80

These are the current preferred TalkTalk DNS servers (they are mentioned at the bottom of that webpage so you know they really are genuine TalkTalk DNS servers).

IMPORTANT : Having changed the settings you would need to make your devices disconnect and reconnect to the router (you could just reboot the devices or the router). When your devices have reconnected they will be configured to use those two addresses above as their DNS servers. So from that point on the devices will use the TalkTalk DNS servers directly rather than going via the routers DNS service.

Making this change may well resolve the issues for you, but if you do ever want to 'undo' this change all you need to do is put the old values back into that screen, or you could just factory reset the router by holding in the pinhole reset switch on the back for over 10 seconds, as that will return all settings back to their initial defaults.

sojam4000
Team Player
Message 3 of 5

Hi 

Thanks for replying. I'm happy to amend my router settings if you can let me know what needs changing. I've temporarily changed the DNS addresses to use Google's.
What would you advise I do next?
Sam
0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi @sojam4000,

There is a known issue with the firmware that causes this, a new version of firmware is currently in test, and if all goes well it may be released within the next month or so, but no date has been confirmed yet. Once this new firmware is released it will auto install on your router and fix the issue.

In the meantime, if you are comfortable with logging into the router and changing some settings then I could give you details of something you could do that might work around the issue and stop it from causing this problem. If you would rather not do this then the staff here will be able to offer further help, they may be able to provide a replacement router of a different type for you.

0 Likes