Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi hub issues

96 REPLIES 96
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have just installed the TalkTalk Wifi hub. I was previously having problems with dropping connections, very slow speeds, and constant buffering on  my TV, after installing a new free router from TalkTalk - after a long support call, they decided the router was faulty and offered to replace it but also advised me to buy the Wifi Hub as an upgrade. So I've paid for the hub but still appearing to be having the same problems that I had with the faulty router. There was mention of a stablisation period - is this applicable if you are already a TalkTalk broadband customer and just install a new router, or is it only relevant for people who have newly moved to TalkTalk?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi scooper1401

I'm sorry to hear this.

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I  have updated my profile.

I have checked my broadband speed regularly at  different times of day and am still getting only between less than 1 and just over 2 mbps, in an area where up to 6.2 mbps should be available on basic copper line broadband.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

Apologies, there are no details showing in your Community Profile. Did you click on the save changes button on the bottom of the page?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I updated my details using the wizard - as it opened separately I didn't realise I would still have to use the Save button on the main page. I will try again!

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Should be OK now....

Hi scooper1401

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I have optimised your connection and the sync speed has increased slightly. Is your router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

What do you mean by the test socket? The router is connected to the main phone socket for the house, as it was when a few years ago a TalkTalk engineer came out to set up my TV for me, so I assume it's all correctly set up.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi - I tried to attach a photo but got an error message

The file 20191203_084708_resized.jpg does not have a valid extension for an attachment and has been removed. pdf,doc,ppt,docx,pptx,xlsx,psd,gz,zip,svg,.txt are the valid extensions.

Is it not possible to attach a jpg?

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

Is the master socket split across the middle so the lower section can be removed?

This help page provides further information on test socket testing Your guide to master sockets

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

It's a Non NTE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Another thing I've noticed is that my land line phone has become very noisy. It's normally plugged into an extension socket, but I have tried plugging it directly into the master socket (well, using a microfilter) and it's still noisy.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

Thanks for your reply.

I've completed a line test which is detecting a possible fault.

Is the noise still present if you test with a corded handset at the master socket, with the router removed from the line?

I can then escalate this over to Openreach for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes, this is what I tried and the noise was still there. But is there a chance it could be a faulty phone and this is just coincidence? I don't want to end up with OpenReach telling me it's my phone that's faulty and not their line, then charging me.

Unfortunately I don't have another phone so cannot test for this possibility.

Also, it it's a faulty line, why was I told it was a faulty router and persuaded to buy another one?

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

Would it be possible to test your phone on a different line to see if works ok there? This will rule out any possible issues with the handset.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I don't think so. My neighbours are all out at work all day and in any case I don't really know any of them well enough to ask them this sort of favour.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

But if your own tests are indicating a possible fault, wouldn't this be sufficient grounds to ask OpenReach to do some testing anyway, never mind any possible issues with my hand set?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I will be off line for a couple of hours now

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

Ok, are you happy for me to raise this fault straight over to Openreach for investigation?

Thanks

Debbie