Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi hub issues

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi scooper1401

The engineer visit has now been arranged for 10/12/2019 AM (8am - 1pm)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I haven't received any text messages or emails from Customer Service to confirm this - is it definite?

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

I've checked and the engineer visit is showing as arranged for 10/12/2019 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks. I was just concerned that I've had no confirmatory message directly from them as I did last time. 

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

No problem. Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

The engineer came as arranged - not sure exactly what he did, but presumably it's on some sort of report. He did something with the sockets, as it turned out that what I (and previous TalkTalk engineers) had assumed was my master socket was in fact an extension socket. When he left he assured me that the way my router etc was set up needed no changes. However, my broadband speed is no better - never above around 3 mbps (2.83 yesterday morning, 3.21 just now).

I was originally told by your technical services people that if I had a free replacement basic router it would solve my problems, but that if I paid for the wifi hub I would experience an upgraded service. I paid for the wifi hub, have now been using it for a few weeks, but am not receiving what I would consider to be an upgraded service, as 3mbps is around half the average broadband speed in my post code according to broadband.co.uk. Can you give me any reason why I should not ask for my money back and a free replacement basic router?

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

Did the engineer advise on what speed you should be receiving for your line?

Your line is currently in sync at just under 5mb. Could you connect the router at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

No, no advice on that -  he said he had been called out to look at my phone line and was not expecting a broadband issue, so maybe he was reluctant to comment on that.

If I connect the router at the test socket (the master socket?) it will be a long way from my laptop, as the master socket is on the first floor and my laptop is on the ground floor. I did ask him about this and he said that having the router plugged into the extension socket as it always has been was the best idea because it's right next to my laptop and that it would not have a detrimental affect on speed.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401,

Would it be possible to do this for 24-48hrs so we can see if the errored seconds reduce and to see if DLM increases the sync speed any further?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes, but will have to leave it for a while as I'm having some electrical work done in the room where the master socket is today, so the circuit will be on and off. I'll transfer the router up there this evening and leave it until Saturday - would that be a reasonable test?

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

Yes thank you. Please post back on this thread to let us know the date/time the router is connected at the test socket and the date/time when it removed.

We can then check the connection stats again.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi -  my wifi hub has now been plugged directly into the master socket since around 6 pm on Friday. My speed tests at this end show no difference in speeds over the last couple of days compared to previously - still around 3.5 mbps. My user experience of opening web pages etc is still slow. I still do not feel that buying the wifi hub is 'an  upgrade' as it was described to me.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

Thanks for your reply.

When did you remove the router from the test socket?

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I haven't removed it

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Posts don't seem to be appearing in my email any more - it would be helpful if this could start happening again. Is there something I need to do to restart this alert?

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

If testing has been completed with a different router at the test socket then we can request an Openreach BB engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Have  you by any chance disconnected my wifi? I only ask because it seems to have disconnected immediately after I replied to your post....

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I don't know what you mean by 'if testing has been completed using a different router'. What testing are you referring to, who carried it out, and using a different router compared to what?

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

Apologies, the connection may have dropped when I completed the line test.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

No problem. However, my query in my previous post (58) still stands....