Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi hub issues

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi scooper1401

Have you tried 2 different routers at the test socket? 

Please let me know if you would like me to arrange a BB engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

No - I haven't got two different routers. I have got the wifi hub, and my old basic router which your tech support people diagnosed online as being faulty, so presumably no point in trying that.

If you think an engineer visit would get me some progress with my issues and would not cost me anything, please organise it. Would this achieve something different from the previous Openreach engineeer visit?

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

I can send another router for testing. We can arrange an engineer visit but we would need to confirm possible engineer charges again before we arrange this.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes - if you think another router is worth trying then please send one.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I just connected the replacement router. How long should I test it for?

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401,

Thanks for confirming this. Could you test this for at least 48hrs to see if their is any improvement please 🙂

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

There's been no difference in my speeds since connecting the new router - still around 3.5 mbps.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401

Your line is now showing in sync at just under 5.5mb.

Please can you run a speed test and let us know how the speed compares?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

If I close everything on my laptop apart from the speed test, disconnect my phone from wifi, and switch my TV off, the speed test on broadband.co.uk shows 4.51 mbps

Highlighted

The more devices you connect will have an effect on the bandwith,  Are you aware that you are in a fibre area, you should be able to get a minimum speed of around 25 mbps. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes, I know - see my previous post about disconnecting everything apart from my link to the speed test. I'm aware that I'm in a fibre area. I do not have fibre and don't think I should need it given my type and amount of usage. I just want to achieve the average non-fibre speed for my post code. Possibly easier to let Debbie follow through on this longish thread? If she's off now for the holidays I'm happy for her to get back to me after the break as this is not critical at the minute.

Highlighted

Morning scooper1401,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The connection looks very stable so I've optimised the connection now to try and increase the speed a bit further. How have you found the stability and speed since your last post?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi - the connection has been stable for a while now, but the speed is no better. I just ran a test and it was 3.82, with web pages etc being very slow to load when using either my laptop or my phone, and streaming services being slow to load on my TV.

This is using the replacement router you sent me, not my wifi hub. I haven't bothered to swap them back again as using the wifi hub has made no difference to my speeds previously, and it's a pain having to constantly input different passwords on all my devices every time I change the router.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401,

The line test is still clear and I've just reset the data port now. Would it be possible to confirm if you experience the slow web pages and buffering when connected wired so we can confirm if we need to focus on the wireless connection? What speeds were you originally receiving prior to the connection becoming unstable?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

No difference really. I have just run a speed test with a wired connection and got 4.05 mbps, then immediately changed to a wireless connection and got 4.38 mbps.

Before the connection became unstable I was getting lower speeds, usually around 2 mbps, so I guess you could say I've had a 100% improvement - sounds good until you look at what actual speeds are involved! I still do not think this is an acceptable speed, bearing in mind that I'm a single person household with very undemanding broadband usage.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401, the speedtests you're seeing a in line with the synch speed for your line. The line is connected at 5.1mbps which based on your line length is about right. What speeds are you expecting?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Standard broadband speeds for my postcode are up to 6.2 mbps. Given that I'm a low demand user, I would expect to get that. During the course of this thread I have said that several times and no one has disagreed with me.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401,

Speeds do vary based on line length and quality. Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by "Given that I'm a low demand user, I would expect to get that"

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

This is a long thread, involving a lot of line testing and interaction with OCEs Debbie and Michelle - I'm currently acting on their suggestions and responding to their queries. Thanks for your interest, but possibly best to leave it to them to follow up?