Need help?

Wifi hub issues

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

The line is in sync at : 

Downstream Rate5735 kb/s

Upstream Rate1019 kb/s

The current line profile is set correctly at 6.1mb so all looks as it should with the speeds showing at the correct values for the line length.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I'm afraid I'm not sure what your message means in terms of my user experience. All I know is that using the TalkTalk wifi hub, the speed test I did a few minutes ago shows a speed of 3.68 mbps. Is this really the best I can expect, with only one device in use, running just the speed test web site and the TalkTalk community? If it is, I would like to know why. That's not meant to sound aggressive or confrontational etc - I honestly don't understand why I should be unable to get better speeds.

Highlighted

Hi  scooper1401,

The throughput speed does seem a little low based on the sync speed. Was this last speed test wired with just the one device connected and no other applications running at the same time?

Is the performance slow when browsing web pages or streaming?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

This was the latest speed test - I've just run another one and this morning it's only 2.9, so my speeds appear to be dropping since I reconnected the wireless hub, which seems odd. It was using a wireless connection with my laptop, my phone, and my TV connected but only the speed test actually in use on the laptop. As described in previous posts, I have already tried using a wired connection but the results were no better. I have also previously tried disconnecting everything apart from the laptop I run the tests on and the results were no different.

Performance is slow when browsing web pages. When I click on a link I then have to wait while a series of progress messages displays at the bottom of the page (waiting for various things, performing a TLS handshake etc) before the page displays. If the page contains graphics, those then take a while to display fully after the page comes up. Streaming is not usually a problem but services take a while to get going - if I select NetFlix on my TV, for example, I can literally go and make a cup of tea before the profile selection screen comes up

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401,

Your sync speed does appear to have dropped. Could you switch your router off for a couple of minutes then switch back on and run a couple of wired speed tests at least 10 minutes apart on the My Account speed checker - please let us know how you get on

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I did as you suggested, and also followed the two wired speed tests with a wireless one. In all three tests the speed was 4.2.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401,

Thanks for running the tests, did you run them on the My Account speed checker, there are no results showing at the moment?

DLM has moved you to a slower profile since your last post, your sync speed is now 4.1Mbps, is your router still connected to your test socket?

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes I ran them all on the speed checker and could see the results on my screen with no problem. I have just run another one - 2.5. How depressing.

My router has not been connected to the test socket for some time now. This is because tests showed no difference when it was (see earlier posts), and it is in an inconvenient location. The higher speeds I was getting a few days ago were with the router connected to an extension socket and it has not been disconnected or changed in any way at my end since then.

I'm afraid that I'm concluding that after a very long period of following up various TalkTalk suggestions for improving my speeds, you appear to be unable to provide me with a good speed. My contract with you expires in April so I will review my options then.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401,

I'm sorry to hear this. The line test is still clear, however I can see that there are varying errors on the line which has caused DLM to keep adjusting the profile. If possible we do advise to keep the router connected to the test socket whilst DLM is monitoring the connection, however I appreciate that this is not always possible due to the location of the master socket.

The only option we have now is to arrange an engineer visit to the property, however we can't guarantee that they would be able to increase the speed any further. Would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

What would the engineer do, bearing in mind a line engineer has already checked the sockets and wiring?

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401,

They would be able to run further tests to see if they can improve the speed any further. If the line tests are clear and all testing has been done with different routers at the test socket then an engineer would be the next step as they would then investigate further to see if they can see why the speeds are varying.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ok, I'm willing to give it a try, thanks.

Highlighted

OK thanks. If you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also PM'd you to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I'm afraid that given that the information on service visit charges says 'We'll charge you if our engineer was unable to find a fault with your service' I'm reluctant to go ahead with this. I understand from the previous post that the point of the engineer's visit would be to see 'IF' they can increase my speeds any further - if they can't, then presumably this constitutes not being able to find a fault with the service.

Highlighted

Hi scooper1401,

If the engineer is unable to find a fault, tests and it's working ok or it's related to any equipment or wiring in the property then potential time related charges would apply.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

It's perfectly possible that he may not find a fault, given the amount of testing that's already been done, so I'm not prepared to risk that possibility. Please don't book the visit. I'll just have to put up with the current situation.

Highlighted

Hi 

We wont take any action until you request it.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE