Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi loses internet connection but cables remains connected

TimkT
Team Player
Message 8 of 8

I have had a problem recently where all Wifi connected devices remain connected to Wifi but lose connection to the internet. Devices connected by cable can still access the internet. Rebooting the router restores access. Router is a Sagemcom Fast 5364.

Has anyone else suffered this? 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi Tim,

I'm really sorry but unfortunately we can't roll you back to the earlier firmware version

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Debbie,

Many thanks for the offer (and the quick response). I am happy with the Sagemcom router so am happy to keep that and wait for the firmware update. The router has been fine until recently so was it an earlier firmware update that introduced the problem? If so is it possible to restore back to the previous version until the latest version is available?

Thanks

Tim

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hi TimkT

Apologies for this. We do have firmware coming soon that will resolve this issue but we don't have any dates at the moment for when this will be rolled out.

Would you like me to send a Huawei WIFI hub?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Thanks again.

On one occasion we did get an error message that DNS couldn't resolve the address. Rebooting solves the issue so suggests a firmware issue rather than a hardware fault, so maybe the DNS resolution issue. Hopefully one of the OCEs can help tomorrow, they are normally very helpful.

Message 5 of 8

The Wi-Fi Optimisation feature of the Sagemcom is active regardless of whether it is set to 'Auto' or a specific channel, so would be worth keeping an eye on the channels the router is automatically moving to, as it may be that it is at the point that it switches channels that you are losing connectivity.

There is also a known issue with the current version of firmware that can cause DNS resolution errors, so this can cause devices to lose internet access, although with that issue it is more common for all devices to lose connection (wired and wireless). There is a new version of firmware in test at the moment that will resolve this DNS issue, that firmware will hopefully be released fairly soon.

The staff here will also be able to check your router, if they did think this was a fault with the router (either the DNS issue, or a Wi-Fi specific issue) then they would be able to arrange a replacement router for you, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow to help further.

If both SSIDs are dropping simultaneously then it is less likely that it is Wi-Fi channel interference, and more likely to be either the DNS firmware fault, or a fault specific to the Wi-Fi signal of your router.

Message 6 of 8

Thank you Skynet_TX.

The SSIDs are already separate. I have checked the channels that 2.4GHz and 5GHz use and they were set to specific channels. I have set them both to 'Auto' so will see if that helps. I currently have 13 devices connected to 2.4GHz and one to 5GHz although not all active (various Alexa, Sonos speakers etc plus smartphones and laptops). When it fails all devices on both SSID's report that they have Wifi connection but all fail to access the internet. I don't know whether channel congestion would show as Wifi connected but might have expected at least one to be able to access the internet.

I will also try an app to see what channels are being used.  

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

Hi @TimkT,

There are a few things you could try to see if it is Wi-Fi interference causing the problems.

Split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network bands different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if one gives a more reliable connection than the other. Doing this in itself won’t fix the problem, but it makes it easier to troubleshoot as you can easily see what device is using what band.

Change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the staff here would be able to help with that.

The Sagemcom router has a feature called 'Wi-Fi Optimisation', this means it can change the Wi-Fi channel itself, overriding what you have set it to, it can randomly do this after minutes, hours or days !. So if you do find a channel that works well, but then things go bad again, check to see if the router has changed channel to something different to what you set it to. If you do experience this problem then just post back here to ask the staff to disable the 'Wi-Fi Optimisation' on your router, once that is done it will stay on whatever channel you set it to.