Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi on router

Michael1066
Popular Poster
Message 11 of 11

Just spent a pointless 45 mins on the phone trying to sort out my router WiFi  problem only to be hung up on.

For the past two weeks my Wifi connections have been dropping out. 

The problem is getting progressively worse.  (Now upto 10-15 times a day per device)

It happens/effects all devices connected either through the 2.4GHz or 5GHz connections. 

Turning off 5GHz does not help.
Wired devices (ethernet)  are not affected (connections through the router to the internet are stable).
The router is situated in the same place as it has been for the last 3 years
There are no electric appliances near to the router.

My router (I believe) is the Seagram talk talk version.  and is running the latest firmware version
(version SG4K10002816t)

The support persons solution was to offer me a leaflet on how to improve wifi in my home 😞
When I tried to explain that this was an emergent problem that was getting progressively worse, she said she would "call back tomorrow to see if things had improved"  How are they going to improve ???
I asked for a problem tracking number (three times)  so I could include it here, but was hung up on.

Can someone here please help me progress this fault.  

Regards,
Michael.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 1 of 11

It is the analyser, not the router. Which analyser are you using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hi @KeithFrench  

Thank you again for replying.

What screenshots would you like to see?  I'm assuming it's not from the router itself,  more like the hotspot analyser I used to check channel usage ??
Regs,
Michael.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 11

Hi @Michael1066 

I think you are taking my comments out of context or misinterpreting them.

The whole point of my help is that I look at analyser screenshots & get you to make recommended changes to your router's configuration.

I was talking about when WiFi optimisation is enabled. When enabled, "WiFi Optimisation" has the facility to overwrite any Wi-Fi changes made to the router’s configuration, i.e. any changes I suggest that you make will be overwritten by WiFi optimisation & it is that action by it that will not help rectify this type of problem.

If you would like to share screenshots from your WiFi analyser I will take a look for you, but please ensure that they have only been taken since TalkTalk disabled WiFi optimisation at about 12:22.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi Michael1066

The WIFI optimisation has now been switched off.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 5 of 11

Good morning @Michelle-TalkTalk ,
Not knowing exactly what that is I'm not sure
From what  @KeithFrench  stated earlier, it will not help me ??

"...This has the facility to overwrite any Wi-Fi changes made to the router’s configuration, which will not help rectify this type of problem..."

WIlling to give it a try though.

Regards,
Michael

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hi Michael1066

The WIFI optimisation has now been switched off.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Morning @KeithFrench,

Thanks for the reply.  

"Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router?"  Not that I am aware of, or have asked them to do.

Further info:
I have checked the neighbourhoods  local wifi's and picked the least used Channel. Have also tried "auto", but that just seems to default to 1 regardless of how many people are already using it!

Over the weekend I  "borrowed" a wifi extender from the office (situated at the end of my garden) and plugged that in. Then turned off WiFi on the talk talk router and just used the extender's WiFi (which goes through the household electrical wiring back to it's support box which is then connected (ethernet) to the router.  That worked. It's Monday now, so the extender had to return to the office 😞

I have also gone through the process of having just one device connected to see if that helps; then changing it out for another one, it didn't.

Most, (but not all)  WiFi connections are pre allocated an IP on the router.  ( Irrelevant I feel, but just to give the most accurate picture)

If there is anything else in your guide that I may have missed, do please send it over

Regards,
Michael

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 11

Hi Michael,

Would you like us to switch the Wifi Optimisation off for you?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 9 of 11

Hi @Michael1066 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. Turning off the 5GHz band will make no difference to this, as you have found out.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router? This has the facility to overwrite any Wi-Fi changes made to the router’s configuration, which will not help rectify this type of problem. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 11

Hello,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any additional advice in regards to the wireless stability please?

Thanks

0 Likes