Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi protocol

martineegan
First Timer
Message 16 of 16

Since 19 July 2021 when work was carried on lines in Southern England, I have had latency (or is it buffering?) when up to 8 people attend a Zoom session; I am using a 5-year old Apple iPad mini on Wifi which has never shown this problem before 19/07/21.  Would this mean that some change has been made by TalkTalk to the Wifi protocol such that my iPad can't cope?  Note that the problem does not occur when using my iPad in someone else's home who has Virgin Media broadband & router.  Thanks for any help.

M.E.

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

ferguson
Community Star
Message 1 of 16

Never has the word "optimisation" been so inappropriately used .... 😕

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 2 of 16

I will take you through all of the stages of proving that WiFi interference is the problem or not & if it is help you to rectify it.

However, with the Sagemcom, there is one extra stage that needs to be completed before that. Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your router? This has the facility to overwrite any Wi-Fi changes made to the router’s configuration, which will not help rectify this type of problem. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

martswain
Philosopher
Message 3 of 16

@martineegan whatever work was carried out externally on the 19/7 cannot have affected the behaviour of you iPad.

However, Apple's own updates could have adversely affected its performance.

The issue is lack of bandwidth, either because the link rate between your router and device is not sufficient or there is WiFi interreference that is causing congestion on the channel you are using. 

0 Likes

martineegan
First Timer
Message 4 of 16

Many thanks for your answer, Keith.

Wi-Fi interference from other local networks seems to be the problem, but what can I do about it?

I have asked both my neighbours on either side of my house, and they have not changed anything.  Like myself, they are light users of internet and wifi.

My router is a Sagemcom Fast 5364-3 T8.  When I tried to use 5GHz on my previous TalkTalk router (D-Link DSL 3782), it made no difference, so haven't bothered trying it on the Sagemcom one.

Note I won't be at my computer now until this evening, so won't see your reply until then, but thank you in advance for your advice.

M.E.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 16

Hi @martineegan 

Channel bandwidth is not set to Auto by default because set wrongly for the amount of WiFi interference experienced, will make the overall throughput worse. From reading through the logs, it would seem sensible to investigate to find the root cause of your problems & only trying to rectify them once the facts are known.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area. If it is just one device affected, that could be down to it perhaps being connected to the 2.4GHz band & not the 5GHz band, for whatever reason.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 16

WiFi congestion is a fact of life as we and all our neighbours use ever more connected devices. No router from any ISP is likely to work out of the box in all eventualities.

We are lucky to have an expert onboard these forums who can guide you further, would you oblige please @KeithFrench?

martineegan
First Timer
Message 7 of 16

Hi

I have tried your suggestions, Karl, but no change whatsoever.

On checking Bandwidths for my wireless connections, I see that there is an AUTO option for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz -- what is the reason for AUTO not to be ticked as default? And the reason for the particular bandwidths ticked?

I have never changed anything in my house and need a clear explanation of why I have had permanent wifi congestion since 19/07/2021, for e.g.  is it due to line upgrades etc...

I may have to consider changing internet supplier, with a different router.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Morning,

Ok thank you and please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

martineegan
First Timer
Message 9 of 16

Thank you for this, Karl, I will try powering off the router now, as I have two sessions this evening.

Will try changing the wifi to the suggested channels when I get time later this week or this weekend and see what happens next week.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hi, 

Line tests are clear, all looks ok. There is a little wifi congestion, so you could try changing the wifi channel to 3 or 9 as they are the least congested channels.

Also, power off the router for 30 minutes to start a new session and see if this helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

martineegan
First Timer
Message 11 of 16

Thanks Karl for looking at any errors or congestion on the wifi. Have updated my profile.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Hi Martin,

Can you add your home phone number to your 'Community Profile' so I can check your connection for any issues and see if there are any errors or congestion on the wifi.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

martineegan
First Timer
Message 13 of 16

The only device directly wired to my Router is my iMac.  I have tested it using Zoom (8 people attending) both on Wifi away from the router and whilst directly connected -- no latency in either case with my iMac, only the iPad.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 16

Hi Martin

do you have any devices wired that can test so you can verify this is only a wifi issue ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

martswain
Philosopher
Message 15 of 16

@martineegan  read the STICKY at the top of the page.

Please do not make multiple posts on the same subject.