Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi router

13 REPLIES 13
Paulk4
Popular Poster

I live in the countryside,there are two cottages semi detached , next door has a sky wifi router and I use a  talktalk router, when I have had problems with my wifi connection I can switch to the sky wifi next door, the walls are thick in my cottage but on two bars of the sky wifi the speed is still faster than that of my talktalk router on three bars? I'm continually plagued with buffering and a message "there was a problem with this web page so it was reloaded message " There is no facility in the countryside where I live for fibre as there is no fibre cables ,I think it's time  talktalk updated these old routers with a free updated router, if there was the facility for fibre here they would have offered a new router in the package if I had switched from another supplier ? What has happened to rewarding loyalty?

Paul
Community Team

Hi Paulk4,

I'm sorry to hear you've unhappy with your service 

Do you experience the performance issues when you're in the same room as the router?

Chris

Paulk4
Popular Poster

Hi, yes, also my iPhone picks up the next door sky router when I switch it on ,I then go to settings and change it to talktalk . perhaps the sky router is more powerful?

Paul
martswain
Philosopher

If you phone is connecting to your neighbours WiFi, they MUST have given you the password to connect to their SSID .

Why ?

Just "forget" their network and you should always connect to your own network.

Use a WiFi analyser to make sure that both routers are not transmitting on the same channel, if they are the only other network you can see, move, if possible, to a channel 5 away from theirs.

Using channels 1, 6 and 11 are the best.

Martin
Paulk4
Popular Poster

Hi Martin, next door is a holiday let ,I live on a farm, I use the wifi next door because I have had so many outages with talktalk, it's easier to switch to the sky one and wait for talktalk to sort out the latest blip than it is to talk to a foreign person in India that frankly I can't understand. As for the channels,I don't have a clue.

Paul
Community Team

Hi Paulk4,

Have you noticed if the lights change on your router when you experience the performance issues?

Do you experience the performance issues when the device is in the same room as the router?

Chris

Paulk4
Popular Poster

Hi chris,it's a talktalk router which has talktalk - 33A5C4 on the back,if that means anything? I sit within 4ft of the router at all times in the same room, the power light stays on, the adsl light stays on,the Internet light flashes periodically ,and the wlan light flashes on off all the time. That's about all I tell you I'm afraid, it does seem the sky box next door is more powerful though.

Paul
Community Team

Thanks for the information. If you're so close to the router strength of the signal shouldn't really be an issue. Is the router situated close to other wireless or electrical devices that could be causing interference? Is the router connected to a multi-socket electrical extension lead shared with other devices?

Chris

Paulk4
Popular Poster

No to both questions Chris, the sky signal is still overriding the talktalk signal on my iPhone , which tells me my router or speed is too slow.the walls are two feet thick here and still the sky signal gets through.

Paul
Community Team

Hi Paulk4

Apologies for this.

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Paulk4
Popular Poster

hi Debbie

yes please and thank you.

Paul
Community Team

Hi Paul

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Paulk4
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie, router arrived the other day and I set it up, after leaving it on a couple of days I have found it much better and next doors sky signal does not change my iPhone from talktalk to sky without me selecting it. I have returned the old wifi router in the grey bag for disposal, thank you very much for your help and for resolving my issues, kind regards, Paul 

Paul
Community Team

Hi Paul

That's great, thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie