Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi speed slowing down to 0.3mb in the evening

Maduncle
Popular Poster
Message 20 of 20

Hi, after spending hours with online tech support, i am still no closer to finding a solution to this.

I upgraded from fibre 35 to fibre 65 about 3 weeks ago, but now I have an issue where my Wifi speed will drop to 0.3mb in the evening/night, from a pretty poor 26mb in the day.  Only way to get speed back up is to restart the router, and them it will settle at 5-8mb at best, until the following morning when we are back at 26-33.  I have tried multiple channels on the router, different locations, and disconnecting all other devices with no success.  Line speed to the router remains constant at 40-44mb, but wifi is really unstable.  Any thoughts?

19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi Maduncle

That's great, thanks for letting us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Maduncle
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 20

New router in, I am now getting 44mb on WiFi, best speed ever!  Looks consistent, I will keep monitoring, but looks like we have a fix,thanks!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Spoke to soon. Wifi is crap again this morning.

0 Likes

flyer2004
Participant
Message 4 of 20

I have been having the same issue since "upgrading" a few weeks ago, but in the morning between 8-9. We have had two power cuts in the last two weeks and things haven't been right since. I noticed that both the router and the talktalk powerline adapters were on channel 11. I rebooted everything and the adaptors are now on channel 1 with the router on cannel 11, I now have stable wifi. Don't know if this will help you.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Hi Maduncle

Please let us know how the connection/speed compares with the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Maduncle
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 20

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hi

Router on the way for testing.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Maduncle
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 20

Hi, line noise is OK, I don't have another router, so a replacement would be great please.  I am down to 10mb this morning on wifi

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Morning,

Thanks for testing wired and I'm sorry to hear that the speeds are still low. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however the sync speed doesn't look stable and I can see re-connections on the line. Is there any noise on the line? Do you have an alternative router that you can test with? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Maduncle
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 20

I'm now down to 0.4mb on both, and had to switch to 4g on my phone as nothing is working.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

I'm now down to 1.6mb wired

0 Likes

Maduncle
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 20

Hi, my wired speed has now dropped to 1mb

0 Likes

Maduncle
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 20

speeds are dropping on both wired and wireless

0 Likes

Maduncle
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 20

Wifi has been at 26mb all day, Wired at 40.  Just noticed some slowdown.  Wifi is now at 1.6mb, and Wired is at 1.6mb too

0 Likes

Maduncle
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 20

This is the first time I have a wired connection, I will monitor what happens tonight and update you.

0 Likes

Maduncle
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 20

I haven't tested wired speeds in the evening yet, will update you when i have some more data.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Hi

Testing the speed wired is a good place to start, it will help determine if the speed drop if from the router to a wifi device, or the actual speed to the router that is dropping.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 18 of 20

HI Michelle,  this is the next thing i am going to try, i have only just managed to get hold of a cable.  I will wait until my wifi speed drops, and see what the wired speed is.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 19 of 20

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, does the speed also drop of an evening if you connect wired? This is just to confirm if it only the wireless which is affected?

Thanks

0 Likes