Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Xbox One Not Connecting

23 REPLIES 23
JonHC1
First Timer

Hi. I replaced my Netgear D6400 router with TalkTalk's Huawei HG635 router a couple of days ago under the advice from TalkTalk that it would improve my awful broadband speed..... it doesn't. Anyway, everything worked fine but as of tonight, my son's Xbox One won't connect to the router. It sees it but it won't connect. Everything else connects without issue. I imagine I'm not the only person who has had this problem so I was wondering if anyone can help. I didn't have any connection problems with my previous Netgear router.

Also, after checking the status of the router, it appears the firmware needs updating but nowhere does it direct me to where I can download the firmware update. Any help with that would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Divsec
Community Star

Hi John welcome to the community your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow in the meantime please check your community profile and add your landline phone number if necessary it is used to identify your account please don't post personal details here.

Is the Xbox wired or WiFi? If WiFi did you change the SSID and password?

For the firmware it Should happen automatically, but the team here can hurry it along if they can identify your account.

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
JonHC1
First Timer

Hi Divsec. I've now added my landline number to my profile. The Xbox is connected via WiFi. Not sure about the SSID and I did change it over to the new password but like I said, the Xbox connected to the new router and worked fine when I first installed it. It's only after a couple of days that it has suddenly stopped connecting to the router. I've tried rebooting the router and I've also tried setting up a new connection from the Xbox.

Community Team

Hi JonHC1

I have updated your router firmware version, please can you retest and let us know if you are still experiencing this issue?

Thanks

Debbie

JonHC1
First Timer

Thanks Debbie, I'm at work now so I won't be able to check until after 5pm.

Jon.

Community Team

Hi Jon

No problem, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie 🙂

JonHC1
First Timer

Hi.

Ok, back from work. Xbox still won't connect. I switched the router off for half an hour but it still won't connect. I've also just checked router status and it still says the firmware needs updating even though you told me it's been done. Current software version is v1.14t.

Please bear in mind the Xbox connected without any problems when I first installed the router so I doubt it's a firmware issue. Something has changed in the router within the last 24-48 hours.

Community Team

Hi Jon

Please can you try factory resetting the router using the pin hole reset for 10 seconds and then trying to connect again?

Thanks

Debbie

JonHC1
First Timer

Hi Debbie,

Yes, I can give it a go. I've gone back to using my previous router so my son could use his Xbox over the weekend so it'll be a day or 2 before I try. To be honest, the only reason I switched to the TalkTalk router was that I was told by TalkTalk I would get faster broadband (we're lucky to get 4.5mb) but it didn't make any difference.

Community Team

Hi JonHC1

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know once this router is connected again. We can also check the connection stats/speed.

Debbie

JonHC1
First Timer

Hi Debbie,

I reconnected the TalkTalk router this morning and reset it as you instructed but unfortunately the Xbox will still not connect, so I have reverted back to our Netgear router. I doubt anything can be done about the speed of our broadband as we live in a rural area, we've only ever been able to get speeds of approx 4.5mb on a good day (which is rare).

Community Team

Hi Jon

Apologies for this.

Did you recently receive the TT router or have you had this one a while?

Thanks

Debbie

JonHC1
First Timer

Hi Debbie,

We received it just a couple of weeks ago.

Jon.

Community Team

Hi Jon

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 6.1mb.

Is the router connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

JonHC1
First Timer

Hi Debbie,

I've now connected the router to the test socket and ran a few speed tests on my computer which is connected to the router via an ethernet cable. The tests were done after 10pm which I assume is a fairly quiet time for internet use. I've had varied results which began with 5.2mb and the last test was 4.2mb so the speed does fluctuate. I also performed a services check but it kept failing on the line test.

Screenshot 2019-11-05 at 22.17.18.pngScreenshot 2019-11-05 at 22.30.09.pngScreenshot 2019-11-05 at 22.22.13.png

Community Team

Hi Jon

Thank you. Is the router still at the test socket? Were you previously receiving faster speeds? (what speeds were you receiving)

Debbie

JonHC1
First Timer

Hi Debbie,

Yes, it's still connected to the test socket. The speeds I've been getting hasn't changed. I've just run 3 consecutive speed tests now (7am) and had various results, the best being 5.2mb and the worst being 1.9mb. The speed fluctuates like this all the time, it rarely stays stable.

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 07.00.44.pngScreenshot 2019-11-06 at 07.01.40.pngScreenshot 2019-11-06 at 07.02.31.png

Community Team

Hi JonHC1,

Thanks for the additional information. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. The sync speed looks consistent and the errored seconds are low.

Could I just confirm, were these last 3 speed tests completed wired? Did you also leave a 5 minute gap between running each speed test?

Thanks

JonHC1
First Timer

Hi,

Yes, they were all completed using a wired connection but not at 5 minute intervals. I'll give it another go tonight when I'm home from work.

Community Team

Hi JonHC1,

Ok, thank you for confirming. We usually advise leaving at least a couple of minutes between each speed test. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks