would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

advice and support

19 REPLIES
Highlighted
Flaming_crow-13
Popular Poster

Hi iam looking for advice and support with my fibre broadband. ill explain my problem...

My fibre broadband should be giving me the following...

Ping 15ms

Download 65 mbs

Upload 18 mbs

I am currently getting ...

Ping 33ms

Download 28-36 mbs

Upload 18 mbs

This is over 2 routers an Asus DSL-AC684U and the Talk TalkHUWEI HG533 router and BT modem.

After phoning on 2 seperate occasions and going through the usual script of trying and retrying both routersi had Bright Spark and Bt enginers called out to my house and nothing was found to be at fault in my home with any of the equiptmant Hardware or Software on either occasion.

After each visit the Download goes back to around 65mbs however a week later it starts to drop slowly.  After about 6 weeks it is back down to 28-36 mbs.

Nothing has changed in my home and both routers (when in use) are plugged into the main BT Phone Master Socket.

All Speed Tests are done via a WIred internet connection.

The landline has a loud Crackle on it and it has been present since the internet speeds started to drop, the crackle reduces in volume after the enginers have been out but doesn't completely go.

I am Currently at a loss as to what to do except change my service Provider.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Flaming_crow-13

My diagnosis is that there's a corroded joint somewhere on the metallic path from fibre street cabinet to your router.

It's the corroded / poor joint that's causing the crackling noise on the 'phone line that should normally be crystal clear when making or receiving a call.  The noise is impacting broadband. The DSLAM in the street cabinet, that controls the speed of connection and the corrections applied to the metallic line, is effectively slowing down the speed. The interleaving of data, to help in correcting broadband errors, is increasing latency and increasing ping times.

Find and fix the corroded joint and the next time the Openreach engineer resets the DSLAM it'll stay at best attainable speed instead of gradually dropping speed.

So, you need a really good Openreach lines engineer, maybe an SFI (Special Faults Investigation) engineer to find the fault location.

The problem usually is that on hard testing or when a ringing voltage is on the line the corroded joint 'heals' for a while and all comes good.  The engineers pop off usually writing it up as 'no fault found' and then the fault comes back.  It'll still be there even if you change supplier.

I've drawn this topic to the attention of the TalkTalk Community support team of OCE's and they'll respond to you right here to help you from Monday onwards.  I think they're your best bet to getting the right fault finders on the case.

You may have already done this bit but ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The Community support OCE's will then be able to link this topic to your TalkTalk service account.

Leave your router powered and connected to the modem / line until you hear from the OCE's.  They'll check the line performance and the router and will have options to discuss with you including escalation to Networks or straight to Openreach if a fault can be determined. 

I'd also like to see you replace the router / BT Modem combo with a single TalkTalk Super Router.  It'll rule out problems with either of those and in any event the BT modem support has long since ended. The OCE's can send you one for testing. It would be useful to connect that with the supplied microfilter to the hidden test socket beneath the Master Socket's customer removable lower faceplate so that the router / microfilter is direct to the incoming line for testing purposes.

Gondola - Community support team *

To appreciate my support  . . .  If I helped with a solution Best Answer

Flaming_crow-13
Popular Poster

Thanks Gondola

I predominantly use my Asus modem/router the most which gives me the most parental controls over any talktalk router. Sure enough the webite  blocker from talktalk is ok but it doesn't stop my 10 n 11yr olds sneaking on to the internet when there not supposed to. I keep the other router for calling talktalk as it proves useful for fault finding. Also last visit open reach replaced the front face plate to the latest spec on the master socket checked all cables inside my house. The only thing I've noticed is both routers run at 11.5 snr instead of what I've seen on the forums of 9 snr. Whether this is a result of a corrupting cable I don't know.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Flaming_crow-13

If a broadband service is operating without need for line correction then the target signal to noise will be 6dB.  Some cabinets with xdB software will attempt to increase speeds even further by setting the signal to noise at 3dB to 6dB.

The fact that your router reports the signal to noise at 11.5dB is yet another indication that the speeds are being slowed in an attempt to stabilise the line.

Reinforces my diagnosis of a metallic line issue.

Flaming_crow-13
Popular Poster

Thanks for the help gondola

Now all I need to do is some how get talktalk and open reach to some how test this

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Flaming_crow-13

Getting tests done is easy.  It's getting the tests to show up the fault and then getting a dedicated Openreach engineer on the case.

Community Team

Hi Flaming_crow-13

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test has detected a possible fault. I've raised this fault over to our Network Team for investigation, please post back on this thread tomorrow and we can check for further updates on this fault.

Thanks

Debbie

Flaming_crow-13
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie

I re-connected my talktalk hg533 router and by modem to assist today reading from both routers read 

Ping 36

Download 29

Upload 17 

Thanks for the help. 

Community Team

Hi Flaming_crow-13,

I've asked our network team for an update, if you don't hear anything later today or over the weekend can you bump the thread again on Monday

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi Flaming_crow-13,

The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

To confirm you're the account holder can you PM (Personal Message) me with the following information: 

• Full Name
  • Home telephone number
  • Are you the account holder
  • How do we send the bills to you each month
  • What package do you have with TalkTalk

Note: Please do not post personal information directly in the Forums.

Thanks

Chris

Flaming_crow-13
Popular Poster

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.

Which engineer are you sending bt open reach or bright park?

No offence to bright spark engineers but they check everything I have to check when I call up and get charged for the pleasure of all equipment set up and working correctly.

All equipment is working properly and correctly plugged in as i previously stated and my Asus router is less than 9 months old with both routers giving the same readings.

The only thing I've noticed is when the wind pick up I get a large amount of internet drop outs. Could the wire from my house to the telegraph pole need replacing due to corrosion?

Thanks again for the response

Community Team

Hi Flaming_crow-13,

I will be a BT Openreach engineer

Chris

Flaming_crow-13
Popular Poster

hi Chris

Thats ok.

I'm havining trouble sendfing you a pm to confirm my details. 

I have the option to send you a message via your profile page but after clicking that nothing happens. I don't even have the option in my settings to enable/disable pm's.

Community Team

Hi

I've enabled PM access for you now, so you will be able to send Chris a PM as requested.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Community Team

Hi

This has been passed to our network colleagues to confirm an appointment for you.

Either they will contact you directly if an appointment is required to visit the premises or they will ask me to update you here.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Flaming_crow-13
Popular Poster

Thanks for the update Karl much appreciated

Community Team

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Community Team

Hi

Appointment has just been confirmed :

Appointment date: 18/01/2018 08:00:00

Appointment slot: AM

Thanks

Karl. 

Flaming_crow-13
Popular Poster

Hi Chris & Karl

Giving you an update to my broadband and telephone service.

The crackle is reduced on the telephone line but not completely gone.

Internet speed have gone up like before but I will keep testing every other day on both routers to keep an eye on them.

Engineer told my partner that he'd change over some wires to a different connection.

Thanks for your help

Community Team

Hi Flaming_crow-13,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that you've seen an improvement :)

Chris