Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband down to 1.1Mbps

marqous
Whizz Kid
Message 19 of 19

Hi,

broadband going slower & slower.

Tried the usual: reset router/ test socket / reseat plugs / etc.

Can you look into it please

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Morning,

I've re-checked the connection stats and the connection looks very stable and the sync speed also looks consistent. The speed test below also looks ok based upon the sync speed. Just to confirm, what speeds were you previously receiving prior to the speed drop?

Thanks

0 Likes

marqous
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 19

Hi Michelle,

Speed is still 1.7Mbps - I'd like it to be faster but i don't want to take time off work to loaf around at home for an engineer at the moment.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Are the speeds still ok?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

Sorry Skynet - i didn't actually see your post 'til after i'd posted my last message - but it all working now anyway. just have to see if the broadband picks up any more...

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

good old google: i did a search and found that it's an issue that's affected a lot of systems using that cert which coincidentally expired about the time I swapped routers - and found a fix - all seems to be working now.

Speed is up to 1.7mbps at the mo'

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 19

Hi @marqous,

Are you running an Apple device using OSX ?, if so this video might be of interest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLG6XVZPF34

Note that I'm not an OSX user, so I don't know if what is in that video is correct, but it sounds sensible based on my knowledge of certificate chains, and a lot of people in the comments seem to have found it has resolved the issue for them. But following those instructions would be at your own risk !

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

Hi Debbie,

I did try that - no change.

Looking again the error messages, it appears to be something in the 'keychain access' which is "DST Root CA X3" which is the 'system root' of the certificate and this expired on 30th sept - hence the error - but i have no idea how to correct it, or even what it is. If I try to delete it it won't let me.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Hi marqous

Could you power down the router for a full 30 minutes as this will start a new session (to see if this helps)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

I've only tried two devices:-

The phone (android) seems fine but the computer (apple iMac) has the issue . It's still got a problem and i can't get the speed checker to work at all. Can you advise what the issue may be? or what to check? It was fine until i swapped the router.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 19

Hello,

I've checked and the router has the most recent version of firmware. Are you still seeing this message since your last post? Do you see this on more than one device?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

SAGEMCOM

CS 50001

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

Morning,

Can I just confirm, which make and model of router did you receive please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

hi,

the new router seems to be working faster, but since changing it i keep getting: "this connection is not private" on various websites, including the speed-checker ones. looking at the error it says 'invalid security certificate' and looking deeper it says "This certificate is not valid (expired root)". the certificate date is clearly not expired - 4th nov 2021 - and the date and time on the computer are correct. Tried two different web browsers.

any ideas?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

Hi

A router is on the way for testing.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 15 of 19

hi Michelle,

I don't have a  known-good router to substitute so haven't tried that. You could send out a new router to try before sending an engineer if you think it's the router again? 

M

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed is varying. If you've recently tested with 2 different routers, cables and microfilters at the test socket then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like to go ahead with this?

Thanks

0 Likes

marqous
Whizz Kid
Message 17 of 19

phone sounds fine

I ought to be getting speeds in excess of 3mbps as I have had sync speeds of up to 3.9 in the past. in recent years though they seem to struggle to keep the download speed above 2.0mbps even though my neighbour  with BT gets over three.

wired and wireless are the same - not surprising as wireless can easily exceed 1.1mbps.

The service centre is very slow to load and seems to keep timing out - suggesting a fault. It also says I'm getting 2mbps even though talk talks own speed checker says 1.1, then says that I'm getting the highest speed available in my area even though that's patently untrue.

perhaps an actual engineer might be needed to find out what's slowing it down this time?

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 18 of 19

Hi @marqous,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show for your estimated speed range. If you log into your router to check your sync speed does this show speeds below that estimated range. If you run a speed test (ideally from both a wired and wireless device so that you can compare), how close are the speed test results to the sync speed shown on your router.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes