Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

broadband getting slower and more erratic

84 REPLIES 84
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

broadband speed was up at 2.6mbps a few weeks back then dropped to 1.7, tried to get it sorted via phone help ( not successfully); then corvid 19 struck and it's impossible to get any help on the phone, and whilst i can log a fault, it falls off the system after a week or so.

Speed  then dropped to 1.3mbps with increasing need to reset the router, and today dropping below 1mbps and having to reset the router 3 times in an hour ( though bizarrely when it's working it's going faster again: speed up to 1.6mbps but then drops down or out altogether). I have verified all connections my side of the master socket - again ( different filters, removing the bt master socket faceplate and connecting directly, etc) - all to no avail. Phone working fine no noises.

some kind of assistance from talk talks would be appreciated - other than suggesting i check my connections yet again please.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

now down to 0.7mbps, and had to reset router twice in 20mins ping timings erratic and sometimes when it stops altogether the router light is flashing alternate orange and white, other times it's just the normal white. still no issues my side of the master socket, but sometimes the dial tone of trephine is interrupted by a 'pip' and 'click' noise, but sounds fine when talking to someone.

I've put my details in as recommended on other peoples threads ( phone no., address etc) so when someone gets around to me they should have access to the necessary info.

I will be expecting a partial refund from talkltalk if / when you sort the problem - you can't expect full fees for poor service whilst everyone else is taking a hit.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi marqous,

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Is the router currently switched off?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle, Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the router was probably off - if I leave it on it almost invariably runs very slow or not at all when i come to use it, so I tend to leave it off until I want it - I'll leave it on tomorrow.

doublt it's a line fault as the phone sounds fine - although if I listen to the dial tone it's usually interrupted by a 'pip & click'

Had a few days of 1.7mbps, but still often hangs/ goes very slow (like, the browser times out slow) and need frequent resetting( 2 or 3 times in 1/2 hr) but then sometimes settles down for an hour or 3. The router is fairly new though so can't help wondering if the problem is elsewhere (like the exchange).

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

it's gone back down to 1.3 today though - and no amount of resetting the router affects best speed of the day - keeps topping out at 1.3 - though it goes slower / stops periodically and then i have to reset the router to get 1.3. - that's another thing that makes me think it's the exchange end.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

Your scenario - download / upload speed degeneration, instability, erratic rate - sounds familiar @marqous.  In my case, the fault was located 'within the local exchange' apparently.

Connection Readings.jpg

~R.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

down to 0.6-0.8 today and upload down to 0.4 - I have left the router on for the last 24hrs on the off chance that someone from talk talk would check it - but they don't seem to have done so.

horned one - that was my suspicion too - that it was at the exchange - but i lack the knowhow to test the router myself, or the exchange of course.

I just hope that one day talktalk will get around to it. I do appreciate there are people with no broadband, or vulnerable folks, or people who need their broadband to work from home who have higher priority than me, but I'm a little surprised that the talktalk phone helpline couldn't be run near normal capacity by people working from home - unless they're dependent on talktalk landlines of course.

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

I'm sorry for the delay. Is the router still connected to the test socket? If not then would it be possible to connect the router back at the test socket so we can run some more tests, optimise the connection and also so we can monitor the errored seconds and sync speed in this set up?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

yes it is (and was) connected to the test socket. The last time i spoke to one of your phone techs (before the covid lockdown) he tried some sort of optimisation but it didn't have any beneficial effect - since then it hasn't gone above 1.7mbps whereas before it was sometimes managing 2.6mbps.

Highlighted

Hi marqous

I'm really sorry for the delay.

The line is not showing in sync, is the router switched on at the moment?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

sorry, it was probably off - i hadn't anticipated you checking that early. I'll leave it on tonight.

thanks

M

Highlighted

Hi marqous

Thanks for your reply.

Do you switch the router off every day? (when not in use) We do advise to leave the router switched on as DLM monitors the connection and if the router is switched off and on then DLM may detect that the connection is unstable and reduce the speed.

I've tried optimising the connection and the sync speed has increased to 1.9mb.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

thanks for trying to improve the speed - showing 1.6 now which is an improvement on 0.7 - 1.3 i've been getting the last few days, although i notice the ping is up from 38ms to 46 and the speed is still well below what the line is capable of.

I can rule out turning the router off as a cause of the slow/erratic broadband as i only started turning it off after the issues started. Also when it's working normally, turning off when not in use hasn't caused issues in the past. I have seasonal variations in available power, so sometimes it stays on 24/7 for months at a time, and at others I turn off regularly to conserve energy - over the past month or so it's been turned off & on several times an hour just to get it running at useable speed.

I suspect the underlying problem is still there, particularly as it's still well below the 2.6mbps it should be running at but so far this eve it hasn't had to be restarted...

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

Have you ever tested with a different router? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

No - this is the only working router i have so cannot test by substitution - if you think that's worth trying then by all means send a new one.

For info: still 1.6mbps today, but there are dropouts causing web pages to hang occasionally and have to reload, and occasional router re-sets required.

Thx

M

Highlighted

Hi marqous

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

ok, will do. 

Highlighted
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

new router arrived yesterday: more or less immediately worked at 1.6-1.7mbps, and seems to have cured the need to go and reset the router (still working >24hrs later), and there's less webpage hangups - but it's still topping out at 1.7mbps and there have been one or two random seeming pauses.

will keep monitoring...

Highlighted

Hi

I'll optimise the connection with the new router in place and see if the line improves and remains stable.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE