Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

broadband getting slower and more erratic

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I am having very similar issues
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Internet-Issues/td-p/2545233

Been happening for me since the 14th April, had 2 new routers sent to me plus 2 BT Open Reach calls but problem still not resolved.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

hi Karl,

so far so good: up to 2.0mbps so far - and still stable.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi marqous,

Thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

had a little wobble yesterday: went a bit slow and variable on the speedtest: 1.4mbps varying up to 1.6. resetting the router didn't seem to settle it, but later on it was back up to a fairly consistent 1.9 - 2.0.

1.9 today, and ping 47ms. when it's running well ping is <40ms.

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

Thanks for the update. How have you found the connection over the weekend?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

hi michelle,

stability has been fine over the weekend, speeds fairly consistent: 1.9 - 2.0 mostly, occasionally see 2.1mbps, but nothing higher.

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

Is your router currently switched off at the moment? 

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

yes, sorry, i had a shortage of power so turned it off overnight - it's back on now and should be staying on for a few days at least.

down at 1.7mbps today.

thx

M

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

oh dear - down to 1.2mbps today 😞

connection still seems reliable - just slow.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

still 1.2 today despite resetting. Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

still only 1.2 today - have you given up on trying to fix this?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Devereux, that's good to know. I'm just wondering if they consider it as fixed as it is working, albeit slower that 'normal'

it's reached 1.3mbps today

Highlighted
Community Star

You must be on a very long ADSL line to have such a poor speed. Is fibre not an option available to you? Forgive me if that has been mentioned before, but I didn't see it. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hello ferguson, no, fibre not yet an option here alas.

the phone line has in the past supported sync speeds of up to 3.9mbps, but in recent times talk talk/bt openreach have failed to maintain that.

when the old router failed a few months back they send a new one which improved things as it went up to 2.6mbps - which is fast enough for my needs tbh - but then things went flakey, which led me here.

they did send me another new router ( as said earlier in this thread) and it improved up to 2.1mbps, but over a week or so has fallen back to 1.2 or 1.3 (though still more reliable than the one it replaced). 

clearly the line is capable of better that 1.3, so i.m still waiting for talk talk to work out how to fix it. although they seem to have gone very quiet on this thread...

Or perhaps i should see if i can claim the £8 /day deveraux mentioned - maybe talk talk would would try harder then. but am not sure how i claim it if they don't reply even on here - it's not like they're answering the phone any more.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@marqous 

There does seem to be the attitude of we can't fix this so if you can just pay extra each month for Fibre that will fix the problem and solve your problem, meaning you end up paying for fibre which you don't actually need which costs you more each month so TalkTalk don't have to fix the problem that actually exists in order to resolve the problem in the first place.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

We are also having this problem. Also we are vulnerable adults working with vulnerable people on line who rely on our connections. This is highly stressful. We managed to speak with someone a month ago who confirmed there is a fault in the area but did not specify. It has been impossible to talk with anyone since and the fault has not been sorted. It feels like a very shoddy service and paying for something we're not receiving is immoral. All tests show that we can't update either to a faster broadband because Talk Talk is unable to deliver that in our area-almost central london.

Highlighted
Community Star

@Neasden9 Please start your own topic and the support team will look into this for you.

@marqous I have re-escalated this for you.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thank you ferguson.

I wouldn't mind being upgraded to fibre to solve the problem if it were an option TBH, particularly as the cost of fibre isn't much more.

But it is frustrating when you're paying through the nose for old-fashioned wire broadband and they don't even try to maintain it to a reasonable proportion of it's potential; as i said, this line has run at 3 times it's current speed in the past (currently 1.3mbps).

And i would settle for 2 times it's current speed, which it did achieve with the previous new router before it went flakey. Surely that's not too much to ask.

As the 'new' new router has dropped to 1.2/1.3 from a peak of 2.1 - similar to the 'old' new router, (and the old router IIRC) i suspect the fault to lie elsewhere ( the exchange? - The phone is still working fine).

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

Apologies for the delay

Is your router currently connected to your test socket?

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone sockets in addition to your router

Is the router situated close to other electrical devices that could be causing interference? Is it connected to a multi-socket electrical extension lead shared with other device?

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

hi chris,

Router is currently connected to the test socket (via the supplied microfilmer), as is the cordless telephone (bt graphite DECT type). That is the only phone connected; there are no extension phone sockets. The phone basestation is a couple of feet from the router at the moment but could be moved further away.

Not sure what else could be causing interference - certainly not anything that's powered all the time.

The router PSU is connected to a multi socket ext socket along with the cordless phone psu, and, sometimes, other electronic equipment.