cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

broadband getting slower and more erratic

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

still 1.3mbps, but seems a bit more erratic today - is there any way for me to see how many drop-outs are occurring?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi marqous,

These are the reauthentications for the last few days 

1 so far today

2 yesterday

3 wed

3 Tue

1 Mon

Would it be possible to test with the router connected directly to a wall socket just to rule out issues with the multi-socket extension lead, or one of the other devices connected to it

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

ok, as of now it's directly into the wall socket.

Highlighted

Hi

I'm showing the connection in sync for 2 days and 12 hours, have you also seen improvement ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

not really, hasn't been obviously unstable but is still only 1.3mbps

Highlighted

Hi

stability does appear improved with sync now showing stable for 3 days 11hrs.

I'll optimise the profile and see if we can improve the speed a little.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

strange - i thought i'd posted a reply earlier.

well what i said was that 2 resets a day was probably caused by me re-arranging plugs on the extension lead, whereas i've not interrupted it in the wall socket -'til now. My query re: dropouts was due to me wondering if they were happening often enough to explain the slight erratic seeming connection - apparently not.

following your optimisation, the speed has come up to 1.5 - 1.6 yesterday and earlier today, and just now managed 1.7mbps which is a noticeable improvement on 1.3 but still rather slow.

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

Optimisation is still in progress so you may see the speed continue to fluctuate over the next day or two

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

and is back down to 1.3 again 😞

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

still only 1.3mbps.  Based on previous experience of the "give it a couple of days to optimise routine" i doubt it's going to improve again unless the underlying fault is traced and dealt with.

I've still waiting to received any compensation for this extended failure to resolve this fault...

maybe i need to escalate this to the complaints department?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
any more suggestions to try before i start down the formal complaints route? I see the btopenreach vans all the time so it's not like at the engineer aren't working, and they don't have to go into my house to inspect my end of the line as it's in an outbuilding - so low corvid risk.
Highlighted
Community Star

Bear in mind that the OCE are not generally online at weekends, so maybe wait for their response before deciding further? 

Highlighted
Community Manager - TT Staff

@marqous  OCE Michelle is looking into your service now and will respond shortly.

I have removed several posts from others since your last reply which are off topic, hopefully your topic will remain clear of others posting to allow us to help get this to a resolution for you. 

Thanks  

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

I'm sorry to hear this. I can see that the connection currently looks stable, however the sync speed has dropped again due to a high number of errored seconds on the line. If all testing has been completed at the test socket with alternative routers then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Yes please - I think that's the only way forward. I'll monitor this thread every day and hopefully you can book a day when I can stay home?

Question: what are errored seconds and how do they differ from dropouts?

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

Errored seconds is a second when there has been at least one error, a lot of errors can cause dropouts but they generally just affect performance (buffering, streaming issues, slow webpages)

If you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

well the engineer turned up, tested the broadband and phone line in only found 'remote' errors; i.e. not on my line, so went to the exchange and tested there but it still only showed up errors remotely so the issue was not at the exchange either.

So does that mean the issue is with something further upstream than the local exchange? or that the fault is intermittent and simply wasn't showing at the time the engineer was here (he suggested that could be the case)?

When you said there were a lot of errors seconds, was that consistent over time or only sometimes?

It's still running only 1.2mbps so it is consistently slow, but I'm guessing that that is the router optimisation selecting the speed at which it gets the lowest error count and then staying slow even when the line is error free? which would explain the speeds going up with a new router and when it starts an optimisation but then slowing down again.

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

Thanks for the update. I can only see the errors for the last 6 days and they have been low for every hour that I can see. As you've had an engineer visit it's probably a good idea to restart the optimisation process, would you like us to do this?

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

you may as well, but i was wondering if it can be set to 'keep trying' as it were? That way it would go up & down depending on if there were errors, rather than just staying on dead-slow. It might help it identify the cause of the errors if i knew when they were happening as i might see a correlation between high error rates and the cause if it were caused by, say, wet weather, of the neighbour using their lawnmower(unlikely i know)?

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

DLM does constantly monitor your connection 24/7, it gathers data and sets a profile based on the data gathered over a set amount of time. Optimisation tells DLM to dump any data that it already has and to start monitoring again from scratch so it's generally a good idea to do this if something changes on the network or setup.

I've now restarted the optimisation process, could you monitor and let us know how you get on

Chris