Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

broadband getting slower and more erratic

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

hi, chris,

what's dlm?

now you've restarted optimisation it's gone up to 1.8 from yesterdays 1.2 - which is a marked improvement even if it's still below 2.

My point is that every time the optimisation is done i get a day or two or three of improved performance before it settles back down to 1.2 - 1.3.  Obviously if it can do 1.8 today it could have been doing 1.8 last week - but it doesn't! Sooner or later after optimisation is initiated it settles back to ~1.2 and stays there. So, is there a way to get it to keep trying without me asking you to restart optimisation every few days?

Highlighted
Community Star

@marqous ,

DLM = Dynamic Line Management

It is the clever logic at the exchange that monitors your connection and adjusts your speed to try to give you the most stable connection. When your connection is being reset this is probably allowing you to connect at a slightly faster speed, but then over time DLM will collect further statistics on your line quality, and it is probably then deciding that based on those statistics that it needs to slow your connection down a bit to maintain stability.

As @OCE_Chris mentioned, DLM will collect statistics constantly, so if you connection has a bad spell with dropouts and/or errored seconds then DLM may act to slow down your line, however if the issue clears up and your line is having less errors then DLM will automatically increase your speeds again.

The optimisation makes DLM start afresh, so your line will initially connect at the fastest speed that it can when it has just been optimised, however as DLM then starts collecting statistics it will slow your line down again if the dropouts / errored seconds exceeds the threshold that DLM is happy with.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Thanks Skynet_TX 🙂

"My point is that every time the optimisation is done i get a day or two or three of improved performance before it settles back down to 1.2 - 1.3."

Yes if nothing changes then you will generally finish up on the same line profile that you had prior to optimisation. But if you have an engineer visit then something has potentially change so we may (hopefully) find that DLM settles on a faster profile than pre-optimisation

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes, thanks for that explanation. Sky net_tx.

yesterday: 1.7

today: just touched 2.0

so, so far so good - although i am doubtful (as the engineer didn't actually find anything) that things will keep improving - but let's hope. Maybe he tightened a connector at the exchange or something

Highlighted

Thanks for the update, glad there's been some improvement. 

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

well it seemed to top out in the 1.9 - 2.0 region, but yesterday only just managed 1.9 and today it's 1.8 - so it looks like it's on the way down - again.

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

Actually DLM hasn't changed your profile since the 8th, current sync speed is 2.2Mbps. It does appear that your connection stats are better as before the engineer visit DLM was settling on a profile that was limiting your sync speed to 1.5Mbps

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

well i haven't see 2.0 again - it's still 1.8 -1.9 and nowhere near 2.6 the line is demonstrably capable of, whatever the DLM is doing.

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

I'm sorry for the delay. The sync speed looks really consistent and stable for the last 12 days. I can try optimising the connection, however there is the possibility that this may reduce the sync speed slightly.

Is fibre available in your area?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

no, fibre's not available; and there's no indication as it when - or if - it will be.

As you say, another optimisation might not gain anything - although the implication of your statement is that once DLM has settled on a speed, it won't increase again without re-optimisation? even if the line improves? Is that correct?

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

If the connection remains stable and the errors are low then DLM will continue to try and improve the speed. When we optimise the connection this just resets DLM.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
well it managed ~3 weeks at 1.8mbps, but it's back down to 1.2mbps - i suspect it's related to heavy rain, but the phone still sounds fine. maybe reset the dlm again - unless you want to send an engineer out whilst it's raining?
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
still only 1.3
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
hello? anybody there? still only 1.3mbps
Highlighted

Hi marqous,

Apologies for the delay. Your connection looks stable, router has been in sync at 1.5Mbps for 8 days. I've restarted the optimsation process so you should see some fluctuation in speed over the next few days 

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

Thanks.

I guessed optimisation had been restarted before i logged in here as it's up to 1.5.

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

How have you found the speed over the weekend?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

it seems to have topped out at a disappointing 1.6Mbps - i was hoping for a bit more tbh

Highlighted

Hi marqous,

I'm sorry to hear this. The line test is still clear so I've tried 1 more line optimisation now, please let me know if there is any improvement.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

went up to 1.7 earlier today but is down to 1.2 at the mo'