Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband speed

SClarke
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 15

Hi,  I've been struggling with broaoband speed for some time on both hard-wired and wireless connected devices.  Today I can't even run a speed test - it times out / says cannot connect to test server.  I've re-booted the router, which made no difference.  Previously when I've run speed tests it has struggled to get over 2.5 Mbps.  Any suggestions?

S
0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Thanks for the update. If you don't receive an update back in the next 24hrs then please let us know and we can check for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

SClarke
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 15

Just logged into my account as broadband has been intermittently awful (Amazon Echo cuts out every 40 seconds, then loses program).  When I ran SamKnows, initial Latency was 232 and Jitter 137 and subsequently 170 and 30. 

On TalkTalk diagnostics, download speed was 1Mbps and now close to 2 Mbps.  A fault has been logged.

I ran Samknows a 3rd time -  Latency 299, Jitter 167 and download 2.6Mbps, upload 218Kbps.

S
0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Hi SClarke,

Yes it does look as though there's a potential fault on the line and it's been logged out to Openreach for investigation. If you don't hear anything within the next couple of days can you bump the thread and we'll check for updates

Chris

0 Likes

SClarke
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 15

Broandband seems to be ok for a few days, then takes 20 minutes just to open TalkTalk Account to check status after I coudn't join a Zoom business call.  My connection was so bad that SamKnows wouldn't run.  You've now just messaged me to say Openreach call out again logged - this must be the 4th time they've been out.  Main socket does not have a test socket and 'phone works ok with no interference. 

S
0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. The sync speed still looks very consistent, however I can see errored seconds on the line and the SNR is also dropping very low which can affect the throughput speeds. Does the main socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket so we can re-check the connection stats again please?

Is there any noise on the voice service as this can affect the broadband connection?

Thanks

0 Likes

SClarke
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 15

Morning, broadband connectivity is a nightmare once again.  I've just run Samknows twice with download speeds of 0.6 / 0.7 Mbps and Latency of 140.0 / 198.0.  Any further suggestions?

S
0 Likes

SClarke
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 15

Morning,  Broadband is again almost not working.  I've just run SamKnows twice which reported download speeds of 0.6 / 0.7 Mbps with Latency of 140.0 / 198.0.  Any suggestions?

S
0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 15

Hi

I've reset the port for your line, but looking at the estimated sync rate for your line, this is predicted at 3.5mb.  Your router is in sync at 3.6mb, so realistically the speeds you are seeing from your recent speed test results are about the best the line can achieve for an ADSL service.

If fibre is available to you I would suggest looking at upgrading to fibre for faster speeds.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

SClarke
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 15

Hi,  After 30+ minutes off, I powered up router.  The first download speed test was 1.5 Mbps, followed by 2 at 2.8 / 2.9 Mbps.

I have run on SamKnows with similar results.  Looking at the other SamKnows feedback, Latency seems high at 23.7 ms.

What should I expect normally?

S
0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

Hi

It is important to turn the router off fully for 30 minutes rather than to just reboot the router.  Turning off for 30 minutes allows the session between the router and exchange equipment to fully close.  This will rule out what is referred to as a 'stale' session. When the router is powered back on, try a couple of wired speed tests, not only from our talktalk speed test, but from another, such as  https://speedtest.samknows.com/

Using another speed test helps to give an average speed for the connection.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

SClarke
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 15

Just managed to run a speed test - 1 Mbps.  I did turn off etc. the router last week following a discussion with the Service Centre and will do so again now.  I can't understand why this speed issue keeps recurring though.

S
0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. Have you recently tried powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retested the speed again as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speeds?

Thanks

0 Likes

SClarke
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 15

The wired speed test also falls over.  Previously I had been getting close to 3 Mbps but It took me 20 minutes to log-in to my TalkTalk account this morning due to slow connection.

S
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 15

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've checked the connection stats and the sync speed looks very consistent. Can I just confirm, what speeds were you previously receiving before they dropped? Please can you run a few wired speed tests using the TalkTalk Speed Tester so we can see how the speeds compare in relation to the sync speed.

Thanks

0 Likes