Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection speeds

stevethebikeman
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 11

my connection speed to my router ia claimed to be 39mpbs but only 20mpbs to my new six week old ASUS laptop  how do I improve this .

steve

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 2 of 11

@stevethebikeman  don't be surprised if your laptop does not have a LAN socket, not many do these days.

Adapters are commercially available which will plug in to a USB socket on your laptop.

Also, check which WiFi band your laptop is using, the 2.4 Ghz band is generally more congested and prone to interference from adjacent routers, so that could be an issue if you have close neighbours.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi

A wired connection will always give the best speeds, but it depends on what you use the laptop for.

20mb will easily support browsing, email and streaming such as Netflix. 

To try to improve wifi performance, have a read through our article below that will give some great tips to help improve wifi.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Boost-your-Wi-Fi-speed/ta-p/2205291

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

stevethebikeman
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for that what kind of result can I expect if it is a big difference should I us  a wired connection all the time or do I have another option.

steve

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi

You should have an ethernet (network) cable that came with the router.  It is usually Yellow.

On the back of the router are 4 ethernet ports, they are yellow. The cable plugs into any of these ports on the back of the router, and there should be a similar port on the laptop.

The pic below shows an ethernet cable being connected.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

stevethebikeman
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 11

I don' know which sockets to plug into the router or which type of wire to be used.    sorry but I am  a bike mechanic not a computer expert. 

Steve

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi

Wifi can be fickle, and is subject to many forms of interference from electrical devices and other wifi devices nearby.

To get a more accurate measurement of your speeds, the first step is to test wired from the router.  This will show if this is a wifi issue or a line issue etc.

Also, no speed test is 100% accurate so you should only use these as a guideline.  Try a couple of speed tests and get an average measurement. 

Try a couple of wired speed tests and let me know how they compare.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

stevethebikeman
Chatterbox
Message 8 of 11

I have not tried that probably because I dont know how it should be done . Is just a matter of plugging t e correct type wire from the router to the laptop?

steve

0 Likes

stevethebikeman
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 11

HI Kari

over wifi

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 11

Hi

Are you using the laptop over wifi or have you tested with a wired connection ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes