Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

external phone line needs shortening - long route to house

5 REPLIES
verytricky
Popular Poster

The route the linetakes to get to my house lengthens the line length by approximately 450 meters. I have traced the line back and it goes accross a field before coming back on itself to the bottom of my garden. 

My copper is 4600meters from the exchange, and I get 2mbps speed.

Reducing 450 meters of copper would increase my broadband speed significantly.

Can I arrange to get the line to my house taken off at the pole at the bottom of the garden, rather than from the front of the house?

Marc.
Community Team

Hi

We have no control over the route the BT cabling takes from the exchange to the house, and it is unlikely that BT would re-route external cabling unless it was cost effective for them to do this.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

verytricky
Popular Poster

Is there a way to change the routing, for example taking the line off the pole at the bottom of the garden rather than from the front of the house?

Would this be possible as a paid for job?

Marc.
Community Team

Hi

We can normally arrange a BT engineer to relocate where the line enters your property, but cannot change where the line originates.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

verytricky
Popular Poster

OK.

One final question on this. 

I run a farm as a business ( hence the size of the field being several acres and the phone line running around the outside of the field. )

If I were to get a new business phone line, would the BT engineer take the line from the pole in the field to the barn ( site of the business office ) which is 30 meters from the pole, or would theytake the line from the same place as the house telephone, and run 400 meters of line to the barn?

Marc.
Community Team

Hi

Probably from the pole nearest the barn.

If it's for business, have a chat with our business support teams, they may have more options open to them with Openreach.

Thanks

Karl.