Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new router

recort2
Chatterbox
Message 16 of 16

Hi, I got sent a new router which is still in the box and now receive emails treatening that service will be cut when i do not install it - i have a third party router for some time with no problems until now; do i really have to use the new router, allthough I don't see the need - does anybody know?

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 1 of 16

A certain amount of customisation will be available by logging into the router, but you are always going to get more functionality from a 3rd party router. So it probably is worth just setting the new router up and seeing if it lets you do all of the things you want to do.

Bear in mind that when you first set the router up it is possible it won't be running the latest firmware, this should auto update within a few days (it will update overnight), and may provide additional functionality.

What model of router have they sent you ?

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Hi

you will have access to change settings when logging into the router.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

OK thanks, sounds good. Now a technical question if that's ok here:

Using the router that you sent (HUAWEI)  will I have access to change firewall settings (to allow incoming connections to monitor security cameras, etc), change DNS Servers, device name, username, password - in other words, advanced settings?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hi

When an upgrade is offered, this will be a free upgrade.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

So, does that mean I will be upgraded to fibre at no cost?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Hi

We do not have dates for individual upgrades, but the new router is sent in preparation for when your line can be upgraded to fibre.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

"Hi lesbell  - The same advice above would also apply in your situation."

That's all very well but why not tell me what the upgrade is and when it will take place?

Message 8 of 16

Hi lesbell

The same advice above would also apply in your situation. 

Regards,

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 16

Hi recort2

We do not stop anyone from using their own router, and if your router is VSSL capable, you can continue to use it.  If you are upgraded to Fibre and the current router does not support this, then swap over the router to the new one and all will work.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 10 of 16

Almost certainly what is happening is as @Skynet_TX Said you are being moved from ADSL to fibre (VDSL) as part of s programme to retire the old Copper Network.   If this is the case then your router will need to support VDSL/VDSL2. 

When TalkTalk do the switch you will definitely loose the internet for a short period of time.  If your router automatically detects the type of incoming connection then you should be back online fairly quickly.  If not then you will have to login to the router and reconfigure it to use VDSL rather than ADSL. If your router does not support VDSL then you will either have to buy a new one or use the one TalkTalk sent.

As @TheHornedOne said you would expect to be provided with better information about what's happening.  However, TalkTalk being a communications company seem to lack an understanding of how to communicate effectively 😁

Message 11 of 16

Hi,

I also received a new router from Talk Talk last week. I did not ask for one as I use my own Netgear router.

The reason given was they will be making (unspecified) "improvements" to the service.

I also received the same threatening (genuine) e-mail yesterday, reminding me I have not yet installed it. Unless they give me proper  information about the so called improvements , I won't be installing it.

Here is a copy of the reminder e-mail.

Hi Leslie,
The improvements to your Broadband line are due to take place soon, but it looks like the new router we’ve sent you hasn’t been connected. 
Please connect your new router without delay to ensure you do not lose your broadband service. Instructions for installing your new router are in the box. If you need assistance with your router please call
0345 172 0088 to speak to one of our team.
0 Likes

TheHornedOne
Insightful One
Message 12 of 16

Wouldn't you have just thought that TalkTalk would have at least outlined the reason behind their actions @recort2  ...........

......... nah, I guess they wouldn't!

~R.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 13 of 16

One possibility is that TalkTalk are planning to upgrade you from ADSL to Fibre, and they are just warning you that if the router you are currently using only support ADSL then it will stop working if your line was upgraded to Fibre, a router needs to support VDSL to work on Fibre.

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 14 of 16

@recort2 I have been using my own router for many years and have never had an email from TalkTalk threatening to cut me off.  Many others also use 3rd party routers and TalkTalk even provide guidance on using 3rd party routers.  So as @Gliwmaeden2  has said there is something odd about your experience.  Are you sure the emails are from TalkTalk?

P.S.  Do you know why you were sent the new router?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

There's no reason not to use your own working router, @recort2.

Could you copy and paste the relevant bits of the email in here? Sounds very strange.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.