Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router loses connection

ksolan11
First Timer
Message 27 of 27

hiya, for the past week or so my router keeps losing connection to the internet for about 10 secs every couple minutes making gaming impossible. at first i thought it was due to my pc being connected via ethernet cable but this was not the case. i looked at some posts and i think this may be due to the router switching channels (wifi optimisation). i've read onlu staff can disable this option. could you please turn this feature off and we shall see if this fixes the problem. 

thanks

Jerzy
p.s. ive only noticed this problem when my pc is turned on 

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27

Hi ksolan11

Apologies, I thought we had sent a replacement router.

If the connection does drop again then please let us know and we can send a router for testing.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 27

I haven't recieved a replacement router, but it has been stable the last couple of days.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 27

Hi ksolan11

Has the connection remained stable with the replacement router?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 27

Would it be the TalkTalk engineer that I should request or the Openreach one?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 27

Morning,

Ok, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 27

Thanks, I'll contact my landlord if he will pay the charges and come back to this tomorrow. I'm not sure if this is of any relevance but the last 3 days there have been no issues with the router.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 27

Hi

Details for potential engineer charges can be viewed at 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 8 of 27

Is there a fee for the visit?

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 27

OK thanks. We can arrange an engineer visit to investigate the disconnections. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 27

Yes, when the router was connected to the other 2 it never connected to the Internet. I'm not really familiar with these kind of things so I assumed that was normal 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 27

So do you have 3 sockets in total and only one socket works?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 27

When setting up my router a month ago I first tried those other 2 sockets and they did not work 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 27

Hi ksolan11,

Do both sockets work?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 27

Good Morning, I confirm its connected to the main socket, and i'm not entirely sure what you mean by extension sockets but I have these in my flat (attached below)

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 27

Morning,

Ok thanks for confirming. Is the router currently connected directly at the main socket? Do you have any extension sockets?

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 16 of 27

It can still be helpful for checking the fault if you plug everything in at the master socket, despite there being no test socket, @ksolan11. However, don't fiddle with the faceplate at all.

Staff won't be back before Monday, however,  but perhaps set it up for them that way so they can run another line test when they get back to your thread on their return.

I had no test socket till recently, but was always told to plug in at the master socket anyway for testing purposes. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 17 of 27

Hiya
My master socket does not have a test socket, unfortunately. Changing channels did indeed not help, and when the router loses connection it sometimes does take a minute or so to reconnect but this varies as I started noticing now that it seems to be getting worse the more I use the internet where at first it takes no more than 10 seconds to reconnect. I'm not sure if using more bandwidth is also affecting this.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 27

Hello,

I've run a test on the line now which has detected a potential fault towards the property and the connection looks unstable. Does your main socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket at the test socket so we can re-run the line test again please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 19 of 27

If the LED is changing to flashing amber, then amber / white before going back to white then this indicates the router is losing connection with the internet and having to reconnect, changing Wi-Fi channels will not help with that problem. It almost sounds like you have two different issues here, as if the routers connection to the internet drops that would generally take a minute or more to come back, not just a few seconds.

Message 20 of 27

I haven't tried using a different channel so I will do so now but I won't be able to check if this fixes anything until tomorrow. When the connection drops the router starts flashing orange and then either back to white or white and orange and white afterwards

0 Likes