Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

router not connecting to internet

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Participant

So this morning the HG333 talktalk router stopped connecting to the internet. This means no internet connection by wi-fi / ethernet cable or internet based channels on the youview box (resulting in some failed recordings)!

Switched router off/on again - still no change. All green lights are on showing on the front of the router and the phone works OK (although it did cut off a couple of times).

Contacted talktalk who ran remote diagnostics, couldn't say what the issue was and arranged for an openreach engineer to visit (Tuesday earliest - at least 4 days without internet!!). 

Tried the talktalk router in the main test BT socket but still no difference.

Dug an old Netgear router out of the loft this evening and had internet back in 10 mins (although a little slower)! Therefore the problem must be the talktalk router?

Contacted talktalk again to explain but because their diagnostics didn't detect that the router was the problem, they can't send a replacement, until the engineer tells them it is the router that's the problem!?

Can I get a replacment router any quicker, as this will be at least Friday before it arrives?

Highlighted
Popular Poster

When the TalkTalk agent ran the line test, did they confirm if the line had passed or not?

Although, the fact that you have all green lights to the router would say to me an Openreach engineer isn't going to be able to do  too much as the router is actively receiving a connection ; it's at that point the router isn't then distributing the connection.

I would certainly get back onto CS and see if they can send a replacement router at this stage.

Highlighted
Participant

Hi, that's what I did but they say that they have to wait for the engineers report!

Also rang CS today (as advised by them yesterday) to see if we could get an openreach engineer to come out today in case there had been a cancellation.

Basically, the person we spoke to was very rude and said there was no chance of that and that the person we spoke to yesterday was lying!

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Please keep me posted to the outcome of this but I just feel getting an Openreach engineer out in this instance is going to be a waste of time for both you and the engineer.

Highlighted
Community Star

@eebo7 Is your broadband connection up and running now? 

Highlighted
Participant

Hi ferguson,

Yes, but only by using an old Netgear router I had in the loft. Unfortunately, this is a little slower than the Talktalk one, so all my Youview recordings from Sky cinema (which I have just subscribed to for Christmas!) keep failing!!

Highlighted
Participant

Hi RyanK1992,

I know, I feel that too, but CS have assured us that if the engineer finds a problemn with the talktalk equipment we won't be charged.

Will keep you posted.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi eebo7,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance via the Community.

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

So,

Openreach engineer came out first thing this morning - he seemed a bit surprised that I wanted to talk to him face to face, as Talktalk had booked a voice call! Anyway, he came in the house, checked the wiring inside & out and came to the conclusion that everything was Ok with the wiring etc. to the telephone faceplates, but that there was no broadband signal at all entering the house!? This was presumably why the lights on the router were green but there was no internet.

He left after a while and said he was going to report back that there was nothing wrong on the Openreach side of things and that the fault must be with the Talkltalk set up, so we might need a broadband engineer. He hadn't been back at his van for more than 5 minutes when suddenly the broadband came back on by itself?!

Telephone still seems to cut out occasionally, but Broadband is still up as of this afternoon.

So essentially that's 4 days without internet access (and catch up TV and sky cinema) for no apparent reason??

We'll see how it goes and I'll see if Talktak are interested in compensating me for the lost time....

Highlighted

Hi

Glad the service has been restored.  Please keep an eye on the connection and let us know if this changes.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Karl,

Some questions for you;

1. what is the explanation for the internet service stop working on Friday with the Talktalk (TT) router, but a non-TT router working?

2. what is the explanation for the signal suddenly come back on on Tuesday via the TT router, despite the Openreach engineer telling us there was no broadband signal into the property?

*Were the above issues caused by TT?

3. what compensation will TT offer for 4 days without internet service (no email / web access) and the resultant disruption to communications?

4. what compensation will TT offer for 4 days without access to my paid Sky cinema TV boost (and catch-up TV)?

*Bearing in mind we have been a loyal customer for 20+ years!

Highlighted
Philosopher
Your compensation is normally a pro-rata refund for the days of lost service, they may offer a small lump sum too.
Martin
Highlighted

Hi

Difficult to tell what the issue was without being part of the investigation at the time the system failed.  Also, routers are all different and some can handle different line conditions better than others.  The old zyxel routers used to hold a connection even when the SNR dropped to negative figures, and some routers will lose connection when this hits 2 or below.

As martswain advises, compensation is usually calculated based on the length of the fault.  Live Chat with our billing teams and then can make adjustments for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Participant

Hi @OCE_Karl,

So last night / this morning we have no internet connection through the Talktalk router again (same issue as last time). All the lights are green but no devices will connect. Haven't had a chance to try the other router yet as am at work and unable to run any tests from home.

I have noticed the service status now says there is an issue (where before it just said there was possibly a problem) and we have seen Openreach engineers in the neighbourhood all last week?

This can't be the Openreach side of things and we don't want ot be without internet over Christmas - please help!

Highlighted

Hi

I can see the router online and can connect to this remotely.  There are errors showing so I would advise you connect the other router when possible and leave this in place for a few days to see if this clears the errors that we can see.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Participant

Hi @OCE_Karl,

Thanks for your answer, but I should not have to connect an old router to my system to clear a fault with TT equipment? What would happen if I didn't have another router to connect to the system? I would not have any internet / email / tv service?

This old router is not a talktalk device and will not allow me to record programmes from Sky cinema (which I am currently paying for) nor is the speed good enough to watch catch up TV on my youview box.

Perhaps TT could send me a spare router (1st class) to enable me to establish if the current TT router is at fault?

Highlighted

Hi

Sorry, when you mentioned you had another router I thought this was another we had supplied.

Of course we can supply a new router for testing so we can rule out a fault with the existing model.  The errors I am seeing on the downstream are commonly caused by a router, but we can never be absolutely sure until this is replaced.

I'll get a router out to you asap.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Participant

Thanks @OCE_Karl

We'll let you know how it goes....

Highlighted

No Problem 🙂

Router delivery is usually 24-48hrs, but at this festive time of year courier services are busier than usual, but I'm sure they will do their best to get the router to you on time.

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
First Timer

My Router is in the Hall where the main telephone box is and the TV in the louge and the Talk Talk box is not connecting to the internet .So under the new changes in the Law does that mean I can get a refund as no connection to the internet?

Steve

Steve T