cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

slow broadband internet connection and devices dropping out.

31 REPLIES 31
stevieg803
Participant

Good morning, as per the subject heading I am getting very frustrated at really poor internet connection and devices dropping out for about the past 2 weeks. I ran a service test this morning and it says" Our health check shows that your internet has been disconnecting recently." I am using a fairly new talktalk WI-Fi hub and also have a trendnet range extender on the network (TEW 736RE). The internet has become unusable in most rooms unless sitting right beside the WI-fi hub. Broadband speed is showing as OK so looks like a WI-fi problem which would, I think, point to the WI-fi HUB. This started several weeks ago without anything being changed or added to my home WI-fi so I am thinking it has to be an equipment fault. I have tried following advice in various help topics from this community eg re-siting the HUB , changing the WiFi channels but the problem persists. I do not know what else I can do or try now and any suggestions would be much appreciated. A replacement router to try out would be my favored solution as I do not have any confidence in this current WI-fi hub at the minute. For info I live in a standard 3 bed semi so am not asking the hub to perform miracles in a big country mansion. The hub is connected directly to the master socket.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Best rgds

KeithFrench
Community Star

I am not sure if the service status says that your internet has been disconnecting will be down to a wireless issue, that sounds more like a problem on the network somewhere, possibly your line. However, there is plenty of scope that you do have wifi issues as well. This is because using a wireless repeater like your TEW 736RE (this is not an extender despite what it may be called) links back to the router over the router's wireless connection. This can often make the situation worse, as the signal from the repeater can easily cancel ot the signal from the router. This needs careful checking with a WiFi analyser, as it might be better using the router alone. At the moment though, that is nothing more than guesswork on my behalf.

Let's first get a line check done, I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and fo this for you. Once done, let me know & if you want I can provide plenty of free help to resolve your wireless issues.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

stevieg803
Participant

Thank you Keith for your fast and informative reply. I did manage to contact talktalk online chat and they checked the lines and assured me they were ok. They say it is a congested wifi channel. As I am using a fairly new talktalk wi-fi hub and haven't added any new devices to my network recently I was wondering why it suddenly started going really slow and dropping devices. Perhaps someone else in the neighborhood has added something. I had  changed wi-fi channels myself several time to try and eliminate this (as advised by this great community ) but no joy.  Because of this I queried why the hub had not selected the best available channel under the auto setting and asked was this a fault with the hub.

I hadn't realized that the trendnet extender might be a problem as it has been running in parallel for a few years now. I will however switch it off for a while to see if things improve. Thanks for that information. I have been advised they will monitor things for 48 hours and to get back should things not improve. I am still of the opinion that the talktalk wifi hub is not working correctly but a swap out to test is not on offer at the minute. I did notice before that if I changed the wifi channel and then later changed the selection back to auto it remained on the previously selected channel. If that is not switching over automatically then surely that would be a problem.

Just tried for a wifi signal upstairs and none available with the trendet extender switched off but came back when re switched on and connected via wps. By the way we are only talking about a 3 bed semi so surely the wifi hub should cope with that small distance.

Thanks again for you thoughts and assistance so far.

Best Rgds

Steve

KeithFrench
Community Star

One thing to bear in mind, the hub may not have selected the best channel, as they could all be as bad as each other.

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

stevieg803
Participant

Thanks again Keith. I would like to use the analyzers you mention but my PC is connected via Ethernet as its not Wifi and the apple version doesnt support my phone or ipad. I thought I had already posted this reply so apologies for the delay in responding. I did notice however that when I logged into the wifi hub to check that talktalk had actually changed the channel as they said. I seen that some of my devices had moved to the 5gh band whereas yesterday everything was on 2.4 Gh. Could that have been a problem. After having problems trying to log in to the router I reverted back to the original admin password so can only assume that talktalk had reset my router to factory settings when doing their investigation.

stevieg803
Participant

Today talktalk changed my wifi channel to 9 trying to fix the really slow wifi and connection dropping out and promised to monitor things for 48 hours. Tonight my wife is trying to play an internet game on her ipad and it keeps losing connection and that is within 6 ft of the talktalk wifi hub. If this quality of connection continues it is not worth paying for a service that doesn't appear to be capable of being delivered. I have been into the router again and changed the channel to 6 to see if that improves anything but I am convinced that another wifi hub is required to test and rule things out. If talktalk monitor these topics I would appreciate the problem being re-opened as not fixed and hopefully  escalated.

Annoying to think that as an existing customer of many years I had to pay for this UPGRADE to a wifi HUB

KeithFrench
Community Star

Get me some screenshots and I will give you all the help you need (I cannot guarantee a result, as all channels could be as bad as each other, but at least then you'll know for sure). What the heck are they doing putting it on channel 9, it is well known in the industry that you can only ever use 1, 6 or 11:-

http://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html

http://boundless.aerohive.com/experts/WLAN-Channels-Explained.html

Keith

stevieg803
Participant

Thanks yet again KeithFrench, I have just opened another online chat with talktalk and will probably have to go over everything again. I couldn't use your analyzers earlier as my PC is not wifi and is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable and my only other connections via apple would be a phone or ipad which the mac analyzer didn't support. Sorry for taking so long to reply but tonight helpdesk is a complete rerun of todays conversation. I thought I left it with this afternoon chat online that if the problem wasn't cured I could just reopen the problem and we would be talking about trying an alternative router.What screenshots did you mean.

Thanks again for your help. Tonights online chat is painful,

stevieg803
Participant

Hi KeithFrench, just to keep you in the loop,

talktalk now telling me there is a fault with my line inside the property and have arranged an openreach engineer to visit next week. I don't understand how a line fault is causing this wifi problem but we shall see. I shall update this thread after the appointment in case it is of use to any other members. You have been very helpful Thanks again

stevieg803
Participant

post engineer visit. Update

as I explained from the start that this was a WiFi strength problem and not a fibre broadband to router problem. Talktalk said yesterday evening that there was a line fault despite saying in the afternoon that the line was fine. The engineer today has confirmed what I thought and that the line is good with no faults showing over a 5 minute test. None of this will have affected the WiFi strength which is still showing weak upstairs. I cannot confirm how weak that is, until my wife comes home from work and tries to connect her iPad again. I am expecting that the problem will still be there, as nothing has been carried out to assess or rectify the original problem.  I discussed bandwidth and channel city congestion/overuse with the engineer and he is of the opinion that there is plenty of capacity.   The main other cause takes us back to a talktalk WiFi hub that is or has failed to some degree and should this problem persist I will be requesting a new hub for test. I have advised talktalk that despite them telling me they believe the service issue has now been resolved they should not close the problem down.

Community Team

Hi

If you can test further this evening, and if the wifi signal is poor we can swap out the hub to see if it is at fault in any way.

Thanks

Karl. 

stevieg803
Participant

Thank you Karl that seems to me the most logical way forward, however, I apoligise but there are 2 conversations going on at present. Talktalk keep texting me and they have reached a conclusion that I need another engineer visit. When I adbvised them that I rthought that would be an unnecessary expense I am being asked "Do you Decline the Visit". Do you have any contact with them as if the problem still exists tonight I would prefer your suggestion of swapping out the wifi hub to test.

stevieg803
Participant

sorry for the typos but I am jumping between phone text and PC

Community Team

Hi

I would decline the visit and stick with us in the community to take this forward.

Thanks

Karl. 

stevieg803
Participant

many many thanks Karl,

I have agreed to put engineer visit on hold until at least after my wife gets home from work and she can tell me if there is still a problem connecting her ipad from upstairs. I do not see the point of wasting talk-talks money on something that will not cure my problem. I have requested that they advise me what problem they have found and that if it is a line problem is it being treated a completely separate problem as it would be unrelated to a weak wifi signal. The answer I have just received is that the visit will be related to my broadband problem. I think there is confusion here on talk talks part between broadband delivery to the router and strength of signal from the router.

Community Team

Hi stevieg803

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know if you would like us to send a replacement router for testing.

Debbie

stevieg803
Participant

Thank you very much for your offer OCE-Debbie. My current status is as follows:

Hi all ,

Following yesterdays outreach visit which did nothing other than confirm that my line did not have a fault, I declined a further engineers visit.

My wifi last night struggled or did not connect sometimes when attempting to use the internet upstairs. On KiethFrench advice I had removed the Trendnet wifi repeater from the network (thank you again for the advice) to avoid possible interference and conflict. The setup with this repeater had been working fine together for years.

At this stage my wife was having the same problems of weak connection notification while trying to load an internet game. To try and boost the signal I reconnected the repeater upstairs in the same room as my wife was attempting to use the ipad. This seemed to strengthen the signal and allow her to play but my iphone almost immediately lost the internet connection.

I have disconnected the repeater again and will try further tests today using a not very reliable wifi meter app on my phone. My personal belief is that the talktalk wifi hub is struggling to broadcast its signal further than the room it is located in. This hub was bought from talktalk approx 6 months ago so is fairly new. Does anyone know of problems with the hub failing?

I do think that swapping in a replacement Hub would at least answer that question and OCE_Debbie has very kindly offered to send a replacement one for testing which would be very appreciated.

I am out of the country on holiday between 15 and 26 of sept so perhaps I could try this swap over on my return as I would not want to have the swap hub any longer than required when it could be out there helping other members. In the meantime I would like to again thank all members for their fantastic support in trying to get to the bottom of this frustrating problem.

Best Rgds

Steve

Community Team

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply.

I can send the router today and you can test this for as long as needed, will this be ok?

Thanks

Debbie

stevieg803
Participant
Hi Debbie,
would a replacement router for testing be direct from talktalk or is that something this community has access to. Apologies if this is a silly question but I have still not figured out who I am dealing with i.e. are some community members actually talktalk employees. I just appear to be getting so much more help within the community than when I try online chat of phoning talktalk direct if that makes any sense!
Thanks again
Steve
stevieg803
Participant

Hi Debbie,

that would be great as I could test it over the weekend. Would that be direct from talktalk and would it be talktalk I return it to.

Many thanks again

Steve