would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

speed dropping

14 REPLIES 14
nickym
Conversation Starter

Hello,

I recently had a engineer out to fix a connection problem (needed a complete new line fitting ) and although the connection appears constantly level now my speed seems to be getting slower.

Could someone please look into this for me please.

thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi nickym,

I've checked the connection stats and the sync speed looks consistent. Just to confirm, what speeds were you previously receiving? Are you connected wired or wireless?

Thanks

nickym
Conversation Starter

Hello michelle,

My line should be getting between 5 -11 mbps. I've had the higher end of this in the past but now i'm currently getting up to 5.8 mbps.  I feel by keeping my line running slow i'm being coerced to move to fibre, when i do  your speed test and it pops up saying-Your broadband isn’t keeping up with you. Fix it with an upgrade to fibre broadband.

I'd be grateful if you could  please check my line to see if it may be improved.

thanks

Community Team

Hi nickym,

Current sync speed is 7.1Mbps

How many telephone sockets do you have? What other devices do you have connected in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket

Thanks

Chris

nickym
Conversation Starter

Hello chris,

My router goes straight to test socket. I have my PC and freesat plugged into that,which i use for netflix etc. I have used samknows to test my speed which shows up to 5.8mbps. I appreciate this is not to slow but shouldn't it be better.

thanks.

Latency

30.3 ms

Download

5.80 Mbps

Upload

0.00 Kbps

Community Team

Thanks for the information. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

nickym
Conversation Starter

Hi chris,

Phone line appears clear.

Latency

30.3 ms

Download

5.38 Mbps

Upload

602 Kbps

Community Team

OK thanks.

Your sync speed is currently 7.1Mbps and error count is low. We can restart the line management (DLM) optimisation process. This may result in your connection being a little unstable for a few days but could also result in faster speed at the end of the process, would you like to give it a try?

Chris

nickym
Conversation Starter

Hello chris,  yes please do try and optimize the line for me.

why does it say only 5.7mbps when i check via samknows and yours says 7.1Mbps ? Thanks anyways for trying to help.

Latency

29.9 ms

Download

5.78 Mbps

Upload

0.00 Kbps

Community Team

Hi nickym,

OK, your line is now scheduled for overnight optimisation. 

" why does it say only 5.7mbps when i check via samknows and yours says 7.1Mbps ?"

If this is a speed test result (throughput speed), this is always lower than the sync speed (7.1Mbps), usually around 80% of sync speed

Can you bump the thread in a couple of days and we'll check to see how you're getting on

Chris

nickym
Conversation Starter

will do, thanks.

Community Team

Hi nickym

I've checked the connection stats and your line is now showing in sync at 8.3mb.

Thanks

Debbie

nickym
Conversation Starter

Thanks Chris/Debbie speed is better now. fingers crossed it stays as it is.

Thank you again.

Nicky.

Community Team

Hi Nicky

No problem. Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie 🙂