Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

usb on HG635 router.

ANSWERED
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Team Player

Have read other posts on this subject, but none quite the same.  I wish to stream media from usb connected to router via music cast, but although it  can see all my folders and tracks, it will not play them.  Have set sharing on router, and samba on and also off,(will not see them), to no avail, also reinstalled music cast.  Everything worked fine on previous router.(DSL3782).  Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Star

SAMBA V1 is so insecure, it should never be used now. The latest TalkTalk router does not even offer a USB port. Some form of NAS is what you need, or a machine connected to your network with that USB connected to it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Team Player

Hi Keith, thanks for reply, I have all my music on PC, but was looking for a way that meant not having to leave PC on all the time, as I said it worked ok before, just trying to understand why now it will not.  All I know(or think i know)about Samba is it is open source.

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

The SAMBA protocol is not Open Source at all, but some communications applications that use it could be. The most important things you need to know are all about the protocol's security.

SAMBA V1 is now classed as totally insecure & should never be used.

SAMBA V2 is OK.

The routers all use SAMBA V1 and I doubt that will ever change & as I said in my last post, the latest TalkTalk router does not even have a USB port on it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi, I hear what you say, will leave samba off for now, will find another way to do what i wish,  Thanks for help.