cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Password Problem

GeordieBiker
Chatterbox
Message 16 of 16

I am posting this message from a  new Community account that I have just created. Yesterday, I tried to change the password on my original account and something went wrong. There is an option that asks for your email address to get emailed a link to reset your password. I did that and have waited 24 hours but haven’t received any email. Is there some way that I can regain access to my original Community account?

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

@GeordieBiker wrote: ...I had used a different email address for my Fazer1 account! I can only apologise for involving both Gondola and ferguson in helping me to solve a problem that was completely of my own making.

No worries, ferguson and I are here to support you.

If you wish to delete the new username then here's the link: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile:close-account

Make sure you're signed in to the account you wish to close before actioning the closure. The tiscali email address will also be released should you need to register that in the future.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

GeordieBiker
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 16

I’ve always used the username Fazer1 when logging in. I have the login details stored in my browser password manager so don’t need to remember them. It was only in my reply to Ferguson that I inadvertently typed Fazer and missed the ‘1’.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 16

There is another user with the Fazer username so if you've been inadvertently trying to login as Fazer you will have experienced a login error.  So, if you're positive that the username is Fazer1 have you retried the login password you thought you'd used?

I'm sure that the Fazer1 login email address will be different from GeordieBiker as the system does not allow the creation (or should not allow) the creation of a new username and a previously registered email address.

GeordieBiker
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 16

Well, I have to eat humble pie!!

I had used a different email address for my Fazer1 account! I can only apologise for involving both Gondola and ferguson in helping me to solve a problem that was completely of my own making.

Thanks so much for your help. It’s probably unlikely that I’ll use this GeordieBiker account again after today as my Fazer1 account is active again.

GeordieBiker
Chatterbox
Message 5 of 16

It’s highly unlikely that I used a different email address for the Fazer (I should have written Fazer1, by the way) account. I can easily try getting an Password reset link sent to each of my other email addresses. If a link arrives at one of the others then I will have identified which one I used. 😀

Message 6 of 16

I feel you may have forgotten the Fazer email address.  A Community login requires a unique email address. When you request a password reset you are asked to enter an email address. The password reset will be sent to that email address.  So, if you used the email address registered for GeordieBiker you will have sent a password reset for the GeordieBiker username.

Do you have other tiscali.co.uk email addresses that you may have used for the Fazer username? Or may you have registered a different email address?

GeordieBiker
Chatterbox
Message 7 of 16

I used the same email address for both Community accounts. Should that have been prevented? I wasn’t aware of any requirement to have different email addresses.

0 Likes

GeordieBiker
Chatterbox
Message 8 of 16

Great advice, Gondola! I changed the rule for my Blocked Senders and redirected such emails to the Spam Folder instead of Discarding them. I then requested the Password Reset link again and to my amazement, the email to reset my password on my original Community account arrived in my Inbox! I’ve now reset the password but still can’t access the account because I am getting this message: “Login attempts exceeded. Please retry later or reset your password.” So, I will wait until later before trying again.

I will report on my success or otherwise in due course. Thanks a lot.

Message 9 of 16

Don't forget that the Fazer username will have been registered with a different email address to this GeordieBiker username. 

If the other tiscali email address has those Filter rules you mentioned then disable or delete before retrying.

The password reset email is formatted slightly differently to the standard notification emails from Community so do let us know what happens but only after you disable or delete filter rules and retry the password reset.

GeordieBiker
Chatterbox
Message 10 of 16

UPDATE - I have received emails from TalkTalk Support & Community to acknowledge the improved ranking that my GeordieBiker account had earned by replying to this thread. This would seem to suggest that there isn’t a problem preventing my Tiscali account from receiving emails from the TalkTalk Community.

Message 11 of 16

Personally, I'd disable or delete the Filter rules and then retry the password reset and let us know if that clears the issue.

GeordieBiker
Chatterbox
Message 12 of 16

Hi Gondola,

The email address linked to my original Community account is a tiscali.co.uk one. I have checked the Spam and Trash folders and there is no email responding to my request for a Community password reset. I do have a couple of blocked senders but these email addresses bear no relation to any TalkTalk email addresses. I have sent a message from a Gmail account that I have and it was successfully received by my Tiscali account.

Thanks for your interest in my issue.

Message 13 of 16

Hi ferguson,

My previous username was Fazer.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 14 of 16

Hi GeordieBiker 

Does your original Community registration use a TalkTalk Mail email domain like talktalk.net or tiscali.co.uk?  There is an issue that remains unfixed where TalkTalk's filters do not pass on the password reset mail. If that turns out to be the issue we can raise it again as an outstanding fault.

In the case of TalkTalk Mail, have you checked your mailbox via webmail?

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Check the  Inbox first and then  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind these folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

Compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know of any error message, or if your self sent mail did not arrive in the Inbox or disappeared from the Inbox.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

What is your previous username?