Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reply to post

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 24 of 24

Browser :  MS Edge 91.0.864.59,  Firefox 89.0.2

There now only seems to be an option to reply to the topic in general, there is no individual reply button on each post. This means that the quote function only allows quoting from the first post in the topic. Is this new "feature" going to remain or is this a bug which is going to be fixed?

23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Hi csquared2 

Ah, that last bit and the screenshots of logged out vs logged in gave the clue I was looking for and I can now replicate the report as shown below.

Hide Likes.png

The issue of the Reply icon and options menu overwriting body text becomes apparent at certain display widths AND when the user has selected to Hide Like buttons and counts in the Community Personal profile, Preferences, Likes. (https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences:kudos)

So, if you go to that link and unselect the Hide Like buttons and counts and scroll down to Save Changes that'll clear the issue. But it is still a bug as a user should be able to use the Likes option or not.

I'm grateful to you for staying with me whilst we worked out how to demonstrate the bug. Just goes to show how difficult it can be to test all the display options.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

csquared2
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 24

Hi Gondola,
I've done as you suggested in Firefox (disabled add-ons / cleared cache/ cleared data and cookies) and, just for a moment, everything looked fine:-

Logged Out.jpg

It wasn't until I logged in to reply to your post that the signature block misbehaved:-

Logged In.jpg

So I tried Edge, and essentially got the same result. I must have been logged out when I reported Edge as OK earlier.

Message 3 of 24

Given that the Private Browsing just auto-deletes the history of the Private Browsing session the 'fault' has to be something saved in the Firefox cache or a rogue setting.  I'm still unable to replicate the circumstance. I'd personally try going to Help > More Troubleshooting Information and Clear the Startup cache. See if that solves the issue in normal browsing. Consider clearing all data: about:preferences#privacy Select Clear Data in the section Cookies and Site Data.

0 Likes

csquared2
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 24

OK, I tried Troubleshoot Mode with no sucess and I was definitely in TM as Help offered Turn troubleshoot Mode Off.

However, If I view in a Private Window, everything is as it should be, whether I'm in normal or troubleshoot mode.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 5 of 24

Strange as your Firefox is not loading my entire signature panel that includes a Likes thumbs up icon or the Likes icon itself.   I'm using Firefox 89.0.2 as I'm waiting to update to version 90.  But I cannot replicate the non load of my signature panel or Likes icon with any width setting.  Noted that Edge works as expected.

Would you restart Firefox in Troubleshoot Mode via the Help tab on the toolbar or Help in the Settings menu.  Troubleshoot mode is the same as the former mode that restarts minus extensions / add-ons and custom settings.

Let us know if Troubleshoot Mode clears the issue.  If it does then that means you probably need to identify the extension that is causing the incompatibility and we'll see if we can identify why that is.

0 Likes

csquared2
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 24

Hi Gondola

Looks as if it's a Firefox issue; I've just updated to 90.0 (64-bit) on Win10 19041.1110 and it's pretty much the same. Firefox has other issues - I hadn't realised that the Best Answer and Likes icons had gone AWOL.

Firefox

Firefox.jpg

Edge

Edge.jpg

Message 7 of 24

Hi csquared2 

Stephen will pick up this thread but in the meantime I've tried to replicate on an android 'phone and on desktop using a device emulator for different device displays.  I'm not yet showing the same as you so if you can guide me in on what to do please.

Apparent display issue 18Jul2021.png

Does the error show up on a particular media width / is still present when the browser display is refreshed?  I ask because it looks like a transient display issue where the whole page is not fully loaded. 

Device / Operating system / Browser and version ? / Zoom setting

0 Likes

csquared2
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 24

@StephenFThere appears to be an issue with the placement ot the Reply to Post icon.

At certain browser widths the button can overlap the text.

Part of a previous post by @AllyM  

RTP Glitch.jpg

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 9 of 24

@StephenF , That is better.

@ferguson , This might sound crazy , but I hadn't actually noticed the "reply" banner at the bottom of the screen until you mentioned it, but now that you've pointed it out, it is quite annoying.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 24

@StephenF That has cleared up the format issue for me also, thank you. And now that there is an individual quote/reply facility for each post also is good. In the circumstances is it still necessary to have a massive permanent black banner with Reply on it taking up so much space at the bottom of the screen, especially given the individual reply option and the freeform box already available?

0 Likes

StephenF
Community Manager
Message 11 of 24

Hi,

By default all posts are displayed in order as we mandate a linear layout unless the user has changed their preferences in which case the posts would "thread" and so appear more like a facebook layout as you mention. I'll check your account to see if i can replicate what your seeing. 

EDIT: It appears your profile settings had threaded enabled, this means replies within replies are possible and so ending up with threads within topics similar to how Facebook do it. I've changed this on your account to Linear which is the site default, i've also change to show newest first so you always get the latest at the top on page 1.  It's possible this was enabled a while back, to be fair the label in the menu isn't the most clear so i'll add that to the list to update, here is where you can change it

linear.PNG

Stephen, Community Manager

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 12 of 24

@AllyM, it means that, in effect, it works rather like Facebook replies.

You can reply to an individual within the thread. They don't then show in date order.

The old forum was better for following reactions in date order, but unless someone mentioned the name of whom you were replying to, it wasn't clear. 

This way, we'll need to be conscientious about scrolling back through the entire thread.

I think you can fiddle between linear and threaded formats, if you can be bothered.....

Apparently it makes a difference in how these things are displayed. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 13 of 24

@StephenF , It still doesn't really work though, does it?

I mean, you can reply to specific posts but the replies are placed "nested" in after the post replied to so they can get all out of date/time order, which looks messy and is hard to follow, as well as the potential for new posts to be missed if they are added in somewhere in the middle of a thread rather than at the end.

0 Likes

StephenF
Community Manager
Message 14 of 24

Hey @AllyM  Thanks for the feedback, this is something we actually missed as part of the process but I'm pleased to say that after yourself and a number of other members reported this to us we've been able to add the functionality for you to reply to a specific post and quote it if needed, you should now see a little reply icon at the bottom of messages, like the below screenshot shows: 

Image showing  the new reply iconImage showing the new reply icon

Stephen, Community Manager
0 Likes

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 15 of 24

@ferguson , that's going to make reading threads a real headache.

I kind of understand why a reply to a post is added in after that post but like you say, it totally messes up the timeline and hurts the eyes and the brain trying to figure out what's going on.

All I wanted was to add a further post to the end of the thread but with the ability to quote something from a previous post for reference. The old system worked fine, why change it?

ferguson
Community Star
Message 16 of 24

And the weird timelines ...

0 Likes

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 17 of 24

Ok, but now using the reply button on a post sticks the reply in at that post rather than adding it on to the end of the  thread. That's pretty horrible. Is there another setting to fix that?

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

Glad to hear it, I am learning about it just the same as you!

0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Ok @ferguson ,  it's changed now. Maybe just took a few minutes for the changes to kick in, who knows?

Anyway thanks for the advice. How you figured that out I'll never know.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

This is what looks like for me:

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 22.07.27.png

0 Likes