would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

CONTACTS FILE FORMAT CONVERSION!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

How do I Convert a Apple - vCard / .VCF v2.1 / v3.0 - format file, to a .CSV format file, without the latter incurring significant numerical data corruption [see graphic] in the process?

~R.

Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 20.14.11.png

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @TheHornedOne 

Long time since you've been active on Community. Hope all is well.

The import of Apple vcard files into Apple Mail should work. Exporting then to a CSV file should also work.  Apple advice here.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

As I believe I have stated before @Gondola, I have spent many a happy hour transferring data, upwards, downward, sidewards, and inside-out, and where I've been unable to achieve the transfer formatting I required with existing software, I've coded some myself; but this problem is something different!

To respond to your post specifically, the importing - and the exporting - of Apple vCard files with Apple Contacts works just fine, but I have no .CSV file export option available, so it is necessary to employ an additional .VCF > .CSV transposition application.

Such applications are prolific, and I have tried quite a range of them, but they all result in a numerically corrupted output, as in this example ................

Numerical Corruption.pngNumerical Corruption

................... and what I need is an application which provides a 'clean' output!

~R.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @TheHornedOne 

Ah, the export is just in VCard unless you use the Apple Numbers workaround to then export in CSV format.

What I would do is:

• Export from Apple Mail in Vcard format
  • Import into Google Contacts in Vcard format
  • Export from Google Contacts in CSV

TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

It is not simply a question of importing, and / or, exporting, vCard, or any other similar source @Gondola, I can handle that, it is a question of the corruption which takes place in the numeric field[s], along the way! 

Why are the various conversion methods having an inconsistent problem dealing with the format of anything numeric, QED left aligned, / right aligned / dropped leading zero / spurious characters - Â, Ê - introduced ............ !

Having passed the data through various intermediary's, AB2CSV, Google Mail, Thunderbird, [Apple] Numbers, Calc [Open Office], Excel [macOS & MOS ~ well you never know!] ................. the 'problem' persists!

Of course, I could always correct the data manually, at sourse - Apple Contacts - but that wouldn't be a much of a challenge, would it, ha!

~R.

PS ~ All this because EE failed to switch in the data option on a new contract, aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

ferguson
Community Star

Try this, it worked for me without corruption as far as I could see, but I opened with Numbers rather than Excel, or rather it opened automatically that way.

https://soundsupport.biz/2016/03/27/convert-your-contacts-to-a-excel-file/

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @TheHornedOne 

If going via Apple Numbers to export a CSV file and going via Google Contacts to export a CSV file presents you with errors... but you know the issue is fixable by correcting the source Apple Contacts... Why don't you just fix the source?

As you're now with EE why don't you use the EE Community. "Ask, answer, learn and share with thousands of others". 

TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

'Fix the source', well yes I could @Gondola , but, before I can instigate a fix, I need to know which field[s] require 'fixing ', and I don't know that until the file has been converted from the .vcf to a .csv format, so that I can view it.

Currently, there are a total of 361 contacts, with 9 of the 37 available fields being numeric ~ potentially 3,249 entries!

The way I am currently viewing the situation is .................

...... if a 'phone number is in the format 00000000000 it will be identified as numeric, the leading zero removed, rendering it invalid, and the number right aligned.

...... if the number is in the format 00000 000000 it will be identified as text, displayed left aligned, and may contain additional spurious characters, again rendering it invalid!

I also use four different versions of [Apple] Mail, macOS, iPadOS, iOS, and the iCloud. com version on Mac. and Win. platforms, but not all version offer the preference option of using automatic, country dependant, telephone number formatting, although all, versions / devices, may well be synchronised.

Aside from that, the 'problem' is a breeze, ha!

I do not use EE for data transmission personally, although, on your suggestion, I might give that particular community a try, but I figure I would be better placed to try Apple, after all, it is their contacts app. which is the common factor, although conceivably, export .vcf <> import .vcf doesn't present a problem!

~R.

TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

SORTED!

~R.