Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Computer viruses

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Can anybody explain why I keep getting PUP's appearing (not technically viruses I know)

I visit the same few sites every day (Chrome browser, g-mail,solitaire,mahjong,facebook)

I use Malwarebytes Pro for a daily scan and for the past year or more it always reports "No malware found" but for last 3 days every scan find a dozen or more PUP's labelled "...App/data/local/google/chrome/user data/default"

I quareantine them so no problem but what is the basic cause?

All suggestions welcome. Thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @barbatul 

Most likely from a Chrome Extension. Troubleshoot by disabling extensions and disabling syncing with your other devices if you have Google / Chrome sync active.  

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I duly went to Chrome Extensions and one labelled GoogeDocs had a message "This extension may be compromised !" so I have removed it. I'll come back tomorrow and let you know if my daily scan is clear. Thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

Please do. I'll be looking out for you.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Only 1 PUP this morning ! So thanks to your advice I'm winning. Will keep on top of this and come back if I have further problems.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Back to square 1 !

Scan today found 15 PUPs.

I went to Chrome/Settings/Clean up but it found no harful s/ware.

I only have 1 Chrome extension - Adblock plus and that has been there for ages - this PUP problem has only been 4 days 

Any new suggestions welcome

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi barbatul 

These PUP's are they all still referencing App/data/local/google/chrome/user data/default?

And to troubleshoot you've disabled ALL extensions AND syncing of Google apps to other devices?

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Yes and Yes

I have since reset Chrome to original settings - wonder if that will help !

I appreciate your advice and attempts to help

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I have just re-checked the list of PUPs and one is "HKU\S-1-5-21-"; when I googled this it seems to be a virus people can't get rid of ! An MBAM helpline I found from years ago got too complicated for me to follow. Is it worth trying a different Adware/Malware program to try and get rid of it?

Highlighted
Philosopher

@barbatul 

Have a look at this, seems simple enough:-

http://immuneyourpc.com/uninstall-hkus-1-5-21-complete-removal-methodatd/

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions.
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi barbatul 

I'd rather you didn't use an insecure website seeking to extract money from you for a licence to remove malware.

Your Malwarebytes report indicates that a registry entry is involved so this is where it gets risky because editing the registry is risky. Anything you do is at your risk so do backup anything you cannot afford to lose bearing in mind that anything is potentially compromised until you've got a clean computer which means that you should also treat a backup with caution until you're sure it's clean.

This Malwarebytes forum from 2018 looks similar  to what you're reporting and has a solution.

But first have you tried rolling back the computer to a Restore point before you started getting the malware reports?

Next is to start the computer in Safe Mode and run Malwarebytes and remove any threats then reboot and repeat until no threats are reported.

I'd use Task Manager to inspect the Startup programs to identify anything suspect there and simply disable it.  Startup malware hidden in another program is one way the malware keeps coming back. Startup in Safe Mode will run only essential programs whilst you're troubleshooting.

Only if you're still in trouble have a go at the fix mentioned in the Malwarebytes forum.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I too do not want to pay £42 for a program to fix it !.

I have looked at the Malwarebytes link but cannot follow it properly beacause 2 years on I get different screens on Chrome so I get lost.

I thought about rolling it back a couple of weeks but cannot find how to do it ! I googled 'system restore' and found a couple of youtube instructiuons for W10 but cannot find the same screens or links on my pc. The only System restore I have seems to completely reset my pc rather than going back to a set date.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Windows 10 does not support system restore as older OSs did - Microsoft seem to think their systems are now so foolproof that you don't need it any longer. Restore points are not automatically created.

But on a more general point - PUPs are unwanted programs (rather than browser extentions), and are normally invoked via start/boot routines.

In Windows 10 start the task manager and have a look at "Start Up" and see if there is anything in there that you don't recognise. If there is something suspicious just "Disable", then run the Malwarebytes clean up and then reboot and see if that solves the issue.

Highlighted
Community Star

...Typing Restore in the Windows search box bottom left should bring up Recovery in the Control Panel. As one of the options there is Open System Restore. Hopefully there will be a restore date that may be helpful.

...and @Garton2019 is repeating the advice I suggested on using Task Manager to inspect the Startup programs so do let us know how you get on.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

@Gondola 

Sorry I missed that bit in the all the text regarding chrome extensions and systems restores.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Only 3 progreams enabled in my start-up menu :- Intel Driver & support/Realtek HD Audio Mgr/Windows Security

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I'm clutching at straws now; looking at list of programs installed on pc only 1 is dated 28/09/20 which is when my problem started, it is Microsoft onedrive; do I need it and is it worth deleting it and re-scanning with malware

Highlighted
Community Star

...if you haven't set up Onedrive to backup or sync your pc or save documents to the cloud then it's not essential but it is a component of Windows.