Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Teamviewer

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
JUST RECEIVED A TELEPHONE CALL FROM WHAT APPEARED TO BE WINDOWS POINTING OUT THAT I HAVE BEEN GETTING A NUMBER OF ERRORS ON MY SYSTEM. THEY THEN TALKED ME THROUGH NUMBER OF SCREENS WHICH APPEARED TO SHOW WHAT THESE ERRORS WERE FOLLOWED BY WHAT APPEARED TO BE A FREE DOWNLOAD OF A FIX - THE SITE ADDRESS www.freeviewer.com. WHEN THIS OPENED THERE WAS AN ID FOLLOWED BY THE CORRECT IP ADDRESS. AS I LOOKED AT THE HOME SCREEN FOR THIS SIGHT I BECAME SUSPICIOUS AS IT SAID THE PROGRAMME WAS WINDOW COMPATABLE. AT THE SAME TIME MCFEE FLASHED UP A WARNING THAT I WAS TRYING TO CONNECT TO A "SUSPICIOUS SIGHT". I TOLD THE CALLER OF THIS AND HE THEN TRIED TO RUBBISH MCFEE AND GET ME TO IGNORE THE WARNING. I REFUSED AND SAID I WOULD TAKE ADVICE AND ENDED THE CALL DESPITE THE PROTEST OF THE CALLER. I HAVE RUN A QUICK SECURITY SCAN AND MY PC FOUND NO PROBLEMS. THE CALLER SOUNDED INDIAN OR SIMILAR AS WAS THEIR SENIOR ENGINEER.
WAS THIS A BOGUS CALL OR GENUINE ?:confused::confused:
Highlighted
Insightful One
Its the Scam callers ! as long as you did not install any software they ask you to or give out your Bank account details to them ,You should be fine.
www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/mar/23/hoax-microsoft-windows-security-calls
Highlighted
Insightful One
Never follow any instructions given by a random call to you.
You'll hardly ever see a PC that doesn't have errors showing in the event viewer and this is quite normal.

I had one of these phone calls last week and as I wasn't doing much at the time I played dumb and let them try to talk me through opening the event viewer, all this was done whilst I was watching TV lol
After 20 minutes of leading them on they hung up on me, going for half a hour next time.

As far as teamviewer goes this is a very good programme that allows someone to log onto your PC and help you but never accept help from a random person. I use Teamviewer a lot to help friends.
UK Old Git
Highlighted
First Timer
Just had an unsolicited call from "TalkTalk" and he talked me into using TeamViewer and asked me to click on Join Remote Control Session which I refused and ended the call that as my machine was working OK. I tried to solicit out of him if the problem was a virus and if it effected Windows but he refused to describe further. Very smelly and as said previously, Don't fall for it.
Highlighted
Philosopher
Even a fresh install of any windows O/S will always have the event viewer with errors
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
Highlighted
Team Player

Yes, I think that this happened to me this morning. The Asian-sounding spammer by the name of 'Claude Watson', used a CLI  of  0045091 (not recognised). What disturbed me that he knew my surname and that I was a Talktalk customer. He said that I had 'virus' activity on my broadband connection and that I should address www.teamviewer.com. From this I knew that this guy wanted to remote connect to my computer. I tried to lead him on. Eventually he hung up on what was a very noisy line. I could hear another operator, in the background, trying the same stunt.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I have had 2 calls from this number 0045091,i put phone down as the caller did sound like an unproffeshional..second call was a missed call.,trying to block this call through TalkTalk to no avail no area code they say...so looks like i will get more calls from this number...

Shelly..
Highlighted
Team Player

Pity that TT can't deal with this one. I get calls from 0045091 about once a week with a 10sec silence finishing with a curt 'Goodbye' by a woman with an British English accent. I would like to know if  a call-blocker box will fix this.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Sorry my message was not very well laid out got my proffessonial and unproffessional mixed up,if you or anyone else can advise on how to block this number i would be truly grateful....

Shelly..
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi - I wish I could. The number is a 'spoofed' and I've a feeling it can't be blocked as it is in a none-standard format.  On one occasion the caller pretended to be from Talktalk.  I think Talktalk should take responsibility as it owns the exchanges. What '0045091' is doing is illegal and as long as it is in business may persuade some to part with their money. I may purchase a call blocker box (CPR 1200 from Amazon £40), but why should we be put to this expence.

Highlighted
First Timer

So I was when these scammers phoned, and my son followed their instructions and installed the Teamviewer software.  He allowed them to remotely connect, but then only when they started asking for money did he wake up and end the call.  He immediately uninstalled the software, and switched off the router for a while.  Do you reckon they are ikely to have placed any little "presents" on my system from the time they were in?  Any advice on particular things to check for would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi IanGR

Sorry, I can't really say as I attempted to lead the scammer on a bit without actually installing Teamviewer. I do have Teamviewer, but I use a Linux system so his claim that he could 'see' my Windows system was false. The call ended when he could see he was getting nowhere. My suggestion to you is to do the usual AV checks and ask around (Google, etc) to see if there are little 'presents' issues. It's possible the scammer  looked around your system, and with the prileges allowed could have left some malware. I hope this is not true.  Best wishes.

Highlighted
First Timer

The exact same thing happened to me this morning. The only difference being that they had our ACCOUNT NUMBER. I wonder if this is information that was leaked in the Talk Talk hack?? Called Talk Talk and they said they could put on a block that would prevent private numbers from calling, but thats all they could do.

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes, it is strange that they had your account nr. I wonder how they got that! However, I have found that the Talktalk call blocker (14258 and 2 stars) seems to work. The trouble is, these crims are now so practised, that it's easy to get sucked in. I use another operating system and they seem convinced I use Windows.

Highlighted
Team Player

In my case I got a call from these people claiming that my internet connection was being hacked into and being used by a number of uninvited guests. That is why it is slow.

They connected me to Teamview, which I downloaded, and together we went through a number of screens.

She then passed me to another operator who said that I can claim £400 for my inconvenience, as shown on the screen.

To claim this, I then had a choice of giving them my creadit card details or showing them my online bank account.  I asked for a credit on my TalkTalk bill but they said they could not do that.

I could tell the guy I spoke to was nervous because when I refused to give out my credit card details/(fill out the online form) he started going crazy and playing with my desktop and saying to me, 'Are you suspicious?' I said I will later phone customer services with my Credit Card details, he did not like that.

After that point I just hanged up the phone.

I could tell it was a scam for many reasons:-

* They called my at 7.35am (that's before TT customer services open)

* Did not like the idea of me phoning back with my complete details. i.e CC/Bank details

* I agree my Internet Connection could be hacked into, but surely it would not be in the thousands, which they claimed.

* Why would any profitable company pay £400. I cannot imagine that. Is it TalkTalk's fault entirely?

* Would TalkTalk use Western Union to transfer Money?

These people are still phoning me even after this has happened! Why can't they just leave me alone.

They use several numbers including 01438811945

Highlighted
Team Player

Use the Talktalk call blocker 14258 - 2 (*) to activate. Worked for me.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Very dangerous stuff is team viewer when asked to down load it by an unsolicited caller.

Team viewer may be a very useful tool in the right hands, that is a friend who YOU ask for help in sorting something out.

By allowing team viewer to be installed gives people full access to everything on your computer including any saved passwords and banking details you use.

These criminals if they get frustrated can infect your computer with many viruses.

I bet many people who get stung never uninstal teamviewer and also fail to change the settings on their computer which allows remote access to it. Essentially this means that these criminals can still access your computer when it is turned on not just during the phone call.

The bottom line is that no one can tell you have a problem with your computer unless you tell them.

If people are sucked in by these very believable con artists then mention of teamviewer should be a warning sign.

Last year I looked at a friends computer (for free), she had been sucked in, got to downloading teamviewer, the thief on the other end in the building up confidence stated that she had some `bad viruses` and named some of the programs I had installed informing her he would remove them, one being Malwarebytes, straight away she knew it was a conman, as she knew i would not install viruses.

You can answer the phone to these clowns and with out doing anything on your computer simply say "I have done that" when they tell you about all those viruses displayed say "I don't understand what I can see"

One answer is to tell these theives "Teamviewer will not install, it must be pretty bad virus I have", see what they have to say about that!

DO NOT INSTALL TEAMVIEWER FROM UNSOLICITED CALLERS.

Highlighted
Team Player

As a postscript, I must make myself clear. The problem is not the use of Teamviewer, but rather its MISuse by spammers pretending to be from Microsoft. Teamviewer works well, especially in the hands of bona-fide experienced users. For example when grandson is fixing grandad's computer from a distance (is that the other way 'round!). Users must make sure of who is controlling whom, otherwise it can be a dangerous tool.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Brian,

forget getting a call blocker.

I have used a call blocker in conjunction with a BT6500 blocker phone, it worked well for a short time. Calls then started getting through both barriers.

I decided to go for another option which was yet more cost, BT8500, this I have found is the only phone/blocker that has worked 100%.

The call blocker I used could block numbers by international. STD, partial such as 00 or whole numbers, as could the BT 6500, the problems I found were these stupid numbers some even with one zero, well you can block zero but you get no calls at all.

The BT8500 I have stored every number I want to call me in the contacts list and set it to allow ONLY these numbers to call me, blocked all international calls, as I don't need that function. Callers not in the contacts can leave a message with out my phone ringing, oddly the thieves do not like leaving any message.:smileyvery-happy:

I have had not a single call that I didn't want in some 4 months, I was being plagued with some 3-4 per day at times.

As for TalkTalk and other phone providers I feel there is much more that they can do to stop this plague of calls even international ones. TalkTalk do allow us to block numbers but only 10, this can be used up in one day. Free options to block international calls, silly numbers such as 0,00,000,0000, 12345 etc  would be very helpful in addressing this plague. TalkTalk could still allow through calls from their call centres, they have the technology to do that.

Many people think being ex-directory is all that is needed, I have been ex-directory for many years and thieves still call me.

This problem is not just a TalkTalk one it affects many countries, this is big business and very productive for the thieves with little risk to getting caught.

Highlighted
First Timer

Just got a scam Teamviewer call.  Same Asian/Indian accent and could quote my account number when I asked for them to prove they were genuine.  He transferred to his telecom engineer which I could hear the phone being passed over.  Line was bad and had to get them to speak up.  Kept asking about authenticity and just told to install Teamviewer.  No link to Talk Talk on page so asked again.

Almost taken in as typed in Teamviewer page and clicked run but security alert came up so I said I did not believe he was genuine and phone went dead.

Phone call came from. 005185213853

@eddy7073 wrote:

Very dangerous stuff is team viewer when asked to down load it by an unsolicited caller.

Team viewer may be a very useful tool in the right hands, that is a friend who YOU ask for help in sorting something out.

By allowing team viewer to be installed gives people full access to everything on your computer including any saved passwords and banking details you use.

These criminals if they get frustrated can infect your computer with many viruses.

I bet many people who get stung never uninstal teamviewer and also fail to change the settings on their computer which allows remote access to it. Essentially this means that these criminals can still access your computer when it is turned on not just during the phone call.

The bottom line is that no one can tell you have a problem with your computer unless you tell them.

If people are sucked in by these very believable con artists then mention of teamviewer should be a warning sign.

Last year I looked at a friends computer (for free), she had been sucked in, got to downloading teamviewer, the thief on the other end in the building up confidence stated that she had some `bad viruses` and named some of the programs I had installed informing her he would remove them, one being Malwarebytes, straight away she knew it was a conman, as she knew i would not install viruses.

You can answer the phone to these clowns and with out doing anything on your computer simply say "I have done that" when they tell you about all those viruses displayed say "I don't understand what I can see"

One answer is to tell these theives "Teamviewer will not install, it must be pretty bad virus I have", see what they have to say about that!

DO NOT INSTALL TEAMVIEWER FROM UNSOLICITED CALLERS.