cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Access to an old Tiscali email account

19 REPLIES 19
Popular Poster

Hi.  Is there any way I could be given access to an old Tiscali email account, which I haven't used for years?

My Facebook account was hacked over the weekend and I'm having a nightmare trying to get it sorted, because I set it up using an old Tiscali email address and never got round to changing it.

If I could be granted access to the Tiscali email address, even if it's just for a short amount of time, I would hopefully be able to get it sorted.  

I look forward to hearing from you.  Thanks!

Community Star

Hi @Bobster81 

Let's check to see if the mailbox exists.

You could send the email address a message from another email account and see if you get 'unavailable' as a bounceback error message.

Enter the email address at mailtester.com and see if that comes back as all ok or red on the bottom line.

Try the password recovery option. Forgotten your Password there may well be a message that the mailbox has been deleted or another error message or could just give you the option of sending a reset to the account itself.

Let us know what happens in each case and we'll take it from there.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Popular Poster

Thank you  @Gondola   for responding so quickly.  I found out that my tiscali email address did still exist and then luckily, I managed to find the right password and log onto it using my laptop. 

However, now that I am on the tiscali email address, I am concerned that the hacker has been into it as there are a few strange emails and whilst I am getting some notifications from Facebook, the email I've requested from Facebook isn't appearing.  Is it possible that the hacker has changed the rules on my account to reject the password reset email from Facebook?  I'm not sure how to check if it has been hacked and also how to check on the rules.

Also, I cannot now access my email account using my laptop - I only seem to be able to load it on my phone.

Community Star

Hi Bobster81 

Now that you're signed in to TalkTalk Mail (webmail) change the mailbox password by Updating your reset details and using the Forgotten your Password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Just change the password for the moment for the webmail sign in as above.

When you do sign in via Webmail you have the ability to set up Reset details for a self-help password change.  Update your reset details is an option on the main menu.

Menu options - Update your reset details

That's secured the mailbox.

Now you need to check your mail messages aren't being diverted by an Auto forward or Filter rule.

The Auto Forward setup is in the TalkTalk Mail Settings.

Auto Forward Enable.png

Sign in to TalkTalk Mail and then:

• Select the Menu option      top right
    (triple line hamburger icon or cog icon for mobile)
  • Select Settings from the list
  • Select the arrow icon alongside Mail, side panel (or Email)
  • Under Mail in the side panel, select Auto Forward
  • In the Auto Forward pane
    Clear the Enable tick-box (if set)
  • Also check and disable any Filter rules
    Filter rules is also an option on the side panel

Let me know when you've checked out the mailbox then we can sort out anything else.

Popular Poster

Thank you.  I've done that for my talktalk email address.  However, I don't seem to be able to access my tiscali email any longer on the laptop.  I just keep getting 3 dots on the screen like it's trying to load. 

Popular Poster

Is there a way of doing it on my iphone instead because I can access my tiscali email account from that?

Popular Poster

@Gondola I've just checked the auto forward for my tiscali account on my iphone and it's clear. 

Community Star

Hi Bobster81 

The three grey dots on the screen is an issue that some users do report. Clearing the browser cookies and cache and when the cookie prompt appears then selecting do not accept appears to fix the hang and get you signed in.

You can use a browser on the iPhone for TalkTalk Mail and although the mobile browser version is differently presented for the smaller screen the functionality is almost the same. A few features are dropped. But you can select desktop version in the browser settings if you wish. Just a bit more zooming in and out.

So, where are you now:

• Password changed
  • Reset details set
  • No Auto forward or Filter rules

That's the mailbox safe and secure. I'm happy.

Where do you wish to focus your attention next?

Popular Poster

Thank you @Gondola

I have done all of the things you have said.  I just don’t understand why I’m not receiving the password reset email from Facebook now in my tiscali inbox?  It’s very strange because I’m getting other emails from Facebook. 
I’ve checked the spam and it’s not in there. 
I’m not sure what else to do??? 

Community Star

Hi Bobster81 

Check your Facebook settings?  Ensure your recovery settings haven't been changed.

Popular Poster

Hi @Gondola   

Unfortunately, I cannot get on to my facebook settings as the hacker locked me out, the only way is to reset my password and I am not receiving the password reset email from facebook.

I have done some research and apparently, not receiving password reset emails is a common issue.  It is apparently not due to Facebook, but due to tiscali.  How can I get someone to look into this matter?

Community Star

Hi @Bobster81 

If you've fully followed post 4 then any mail sent to the tiscali mailbox will appear in the Inbox.

Did you check to make sure there are no Filter rules active? Last item in post 4. 

Older tiscali accounts may have a Blocked Sender's Filter carried forward from the older mail system. Just make sure that's disabled or preferably deleted.

Then compose and send the same email address a mail message. Check that message is in the Sent objects folder and arrives in the Inbox. That will prove the mailbox is working as expected and no Filter rule is diverting the message.

If you wish send the tiscali mailbox a message from another mail service account. Just to check for receipt in the Inbox.

Let me know the outcome of the checks and tests.

I'm only too aware that we haven't had TalkTalk support for email and webmail for over a week now.

The UK support team that we can normally rely on for support during weekday office hours has been redeployed to help vulnerable and key workers remain connected to broadband and phone services. That team is now working 7 days a week from early morning to late evening.

So, at present, there is nobody to look into this matter. 

After you've done the checks and tests if facebook still isn't playing nicely I'll escalate and leave it to TalkTalk.

Popular Poster

Hi @Gondola 
Sorry for the delay in replying.  I’ve sent an email to that account from another account and it arrives fine.  I have sent an email to myself and it has also arrived fine and is showing on my sent folder. 
I’ve done everything you’ve said in post 4 and I’m still not getting the password reset email!  Any other suggestions? 
Thanks so much for your help so far. 

Community Star

Hi Bobster81 

Thanks for the confirmations. I believe that with the checks you're done and proven that the mailbox is working as expected with mail messages arriving in the Inbox from the same mail account and from a different mail account you've done all you can at your end to get the facebook reset email.

I think it's now down to Facebook. Last resort is to contact Facebook with your full name and date of birth to recover the account.

Facebook help advice on password recovery:

If you ever forget your password, you'll want to be prepared ahead of time with a way to get back in to your Facebook account without it. You can use one of several recovery options to prevent getting locked out of your account in the future:

Have an up to date way for us to contact you. We'll be able to send you a confirmation code to reset your password from a trusted email or mobile phone number. Please make sure you're the only person who can access the email addresses and mobile phone numbers listed on your Facebook account.

Add another email or mobile phone number to your account in case your original contact method is compromised.

Make sure no one else has access to any emails associated with your Facebook and that your email password is different from your Facebook account password.

Choose friends to be your trusted contacts who you can call if you ever need to get back into your account.

Use your authentic name and date of birth on your Facebook account so we can find your profile if you ever lose access to it.

Popular Poster

Hi @Gondola  I am receiving emails from Facebook, just not the password reset one.  I would like someone from Talktalk to investigate this as I believe the issue is with my emails and not with Facebook. 

How do I go about getting in touch with Talktalk to get them to look into this?  I can't seem to find the online chat option today. 

Community Star

Hi Bobster81 

LiveChat isn't being offered as a functional service for TalkTalk support right now.

Best to wait here for TalkTalk support although it is a long queue.

When you select the Forgotten account? link on the Facebook login page and you are asked to Reset your password and if you want to send the reset code via email or SMS, do you recognise both of those options and are they linking to your email address and mobile?

The facebook reset email is sent from security@facebookmail.com

Popular Poster

I’ve only been able to select my email address, because I never linked my mobile number to my Facebook account. 
It says that I will receive a code by email, but I am not receiving it.  I am however receiving lots of other notifications via email from Facebook. 
As you can imagine @Gondola it’s really frustrating! I really appreciate all the help you are giving me. Thanks. I just want my Facebook account back! 

Community Star

Hi @Bobster81 

The facebook reset email is sent from security@facebookmail.com

The facebook notifications are from notifications@facebookmail.com

Can you see why I'm asking?  You say you're getting normal emails from facebook but you're not getting the security reset ones.  If facebook are sending them they're being sent with ostensibly the same domain name. If TalkTalk were network blocking then none of those emails would get through to anyone.

So I need you to revisit post 4 in this thread and positively confirm there are no Filter rules operating on the TalkTalk mailbox for your facebook email address.

Popular Poster

@Gondola @You are a little star!!!! I went back to post 4 and had another look and sure enough, it had been set up to auto reject any emails from Facebook security!!! 
Any idea how that has happened? Do you think my email account has been hacked to? 
If I change the email address on my Facebook account, should I just close this email address down? I’ve had a lot of very dodgy emails on it in the last few days. 

Community Star

Hi Bobster81 

In my opinion, yes, the mailbox has been compromised and the hacker has made sure you cannot get a security reset for your hacked facebook account. i.e. the hacker has definitely tried to lock you out.

I'll leave you to decide the fate of specific email addresses but what you definitely must do is:

• scan devices for and remove viruses and malware
  • check mail accounts for correct password Reset details
  • check mail accounts to disable Auto forwards
  • check mail accounts to disable Filter rules
  • change passwords making each one unique, no repeats, no variants
    12 - 15 characters, memorable random words
    using multicase letters, numbers and a special character

And in so doing you'll lock out current and potential hackers.

To try and find out if your email address figures in any known data breach you can enter the email address at haveibeenpwned.com