Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Adding a gmail account to TalkTalk email client program

12 REPLIES 12
Mike212
Chatterbox

I have been trying to get my gmail account accepted into the TalkTalk email client program, additional to my TalkTalk email account, but without success, using IMAP settings obtained via websites. The available security settings do not correspond to stated requirements but I have tried all combinations. Can anyone state the required acceptable settings please.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Mike212 

Here's the information you need from Google. Check Gmail through other email platforms

Follow that advice carefully and completely. It is accurate and covers all the steps and hoops that Google make you jump through to get another email account connected to your Gmail account.

Here's the summary of steps you need to take in your Gmail account settings

• Enable IMAP and Save changes
  • Turn off 2 step verification if on
  • Enable less secure apps to access your Gmail account
  • If the TalkTalk Mail setup fails then go to the Account management page of your Gmail account and approve the connection of another device from Germany (The TalkTalk Mail server)
  • If the TalkTalk Mail setup still fails Select here and enable access to your Google account

In the TalkTalk Mail mailbox select the Add email account feature from the Folder tree view in the left side panel.

The TalkTalk Mail setup for Gmail is a standard IMAP account configuration but you'll need to use Manual setup.

Username and Password: your Gmail email address in full and its password

Incoming server name: imap.gmail.com

Incoming Connection security: SSL/TLS

Server Port: 993

Outgoing SMTP server name: smtp.gmail.com

Outgoing SMTP Connection security: StartTLS

Server Port: 587

If the setup fails, as it will at some point, with all the Google hoops to jump through to stop them blocking access you may need to delete the setup and start over. After the final step of enabling access Google will advise you to try the sign in again from your new login. Go to the Main menu top right header, Settings, Account in the left side panel and either edit the GMail account or delete it with the trash icon and start over.

Keep on trying as the setup will be accepted as each Google step to approve your connection is passed. There is a lot of back and forth between setting up in TalkTalk Mail (easy) and checking off each step in the Google account.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Mike212, it looks like Gondola's given you all the advice you'll need. Please let us know how you get on.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Mike212
Chatterbox

Unsuccessful. The problem seems to be that I had a gmail account on the platform but the password was changed and it is no longer displayed – only the talktalk address. I have been trying to use the add account facility – this fails every time with the notice “Error, your gmail address was disabled due to invalid credentials, an email address with the given email address already exists” and  “Validation of server imap,gmail .com failed due to invalid credentials. Please correct credentials and enable it again”

I can find no way of bringing up the originally entered gmail account for correction as only the talktalk account is displayed

See attached screenshot

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Mike

There are two essentials to bring out of your toolbox

• The perseverance hammer
  • The determination 'driver

If all else fails you can knock Google on the head and drive it into the ground.  But I'll give you some hope because yesterday I retested to make sure all the guidance was correct.

Google does make you go through their 'security' processes for your safety, so they say.

Added email account deletion

I mentioned that inevitably you'll need to delete the added email account and add that email account again to TalkTalk Mail and it will work once all the Google blocks / approvals and permissions are granted.

Obviously, check your Gmail password is ok, use the Manual settings I gave to install the added email account to the TalkTalk Mail sign in and follow the Google instructions exactly. I've checked that the instructions work just fine... even though it's a faff and a half to add a Gmail account. 

Mike212
Chatterbox

Thank you. With your help I have deleted the old account after unsuccessfully trying to edit it, and re-entered all of your information. I get a flash stating account updated but then the messages :-

"The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider. Please change them."

"For security reasons, all credentials are encrypted with your primary account password. If you change your primary password, your external accounts might stop working. In this case, you can use your old password to recover all account passwords."

I have accessed my gmail account through the gmail website using the same password and that worked, so there is nothing wrong with the password. I have tried re-entering the information six times with the same result every time. I think it is time to give up.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Mike212 

Which step are you at in following the Google instructions?

Here's the information you need from Google. Check Gmail through other email platforms

Follow that advice carefully and completely. It is accurate and covers all the steps and hoops that Google make you jump through to get another email account connected to your Gmail account.

• If the TalkTalk Mail setup fails then go to the Account management page of your Gmail account and approve the connection of another device from Germany (The TalkTalk Mail server)
  • If the TalkTalk Mail setup still fails Select here and enable access to your Google account

The error message indicates Google is blocking the connection.

I have Gmail added as a secondary email account to a TalkTalk Mail account.  It is possible.  But I can understand if you wish to give up.

Mike212
Chatterbox

I have just received an email from Google "Sign-in attempt was blocked. 

Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your account from a non-Google app. Google blocked them, but you should check what happened. Review your account activity to make sure no one else has access. Going to the website I get 

Less secure app blocked

Google blocked the app you were trying to use because it doesn't meet our security standards.

Some apps and devices use less secure sign-in technology, which makes your account more vulnerable. You can turn off access for these apps, which we recommend, or turn on access if you want to use them despite the risks. Google will automatically turn this setting OFF if it's not being used.

Less secure apps & your Google Account

If an app or site doesn’t meet our security standards, Google might block anyone who’s trying to sign in to your account from it. Less secure apps can make it easier for hackers to get in to your account, so blocking sign-ins from these apps helps keep your account safe.

If "Less secure app access" is on for your account

Because less secure apps can make your account more vulnerable, Google will automatically turn this setting off if it’s not being used.

If "Less secure app access" is still on for your account, we recommend turning it off now and switching to more secure apps.

It seems as if I do allow access it will be blocked again if I do not use this portal for a certain while. Thank you for all your help, but I think it is a battle I cannot win.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Mike212 

See the third step.

Google will claim that TalkTalk Mail and every other app, probably, is less secure than the Google app. 

You have to enable their setting for "less secure" apps to access your Gmail account. If you don't want to act on that step then that's a fair enough decision.

OCE_Ady

Hi Mike212, it looks like Gondola's covered this pretty comprehensively for you. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Mike212
Chatterbox

I tried many times to get my gmail address on the TalkTalk platform, but without success; I subsequently received an email from Google saying that the attempts had been blocked because the platform was deemed insecure. I could have overwritten the block but it would likely be re-blocked in the future. I normally use Thunderbird but wanted a fallback if there was a problem, but it is not important so I have given up. I was caught in the data hack several years ago, as a result of which I was scammed by a person who had all of my credentials which only TalkTalk should have known. Fortunately I had a recent Macrium image and was able to get my computer running again without paying a ransom. Perhaps the platform is not as secure as it could be.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Mike212 

Google tell you other apps don't meet Google security standards. AoL sent me a security notice last month advising that other apps may use a less secure sign in method and unless I authorise the other app by jumping through AoL's security sign in hoops then AoL will block the app starting on 20 October 2020.  And my other app is...Gmail!

Google say they'll block the collection of mail by other apps if the other app is not used. Sensible security.  And if you set up collection of mail via another app and jump through the Google hoops to authorise and approve the other app why would you just leave it unused?

TalkTalk will flag your mail account for deletion if you don't use it for 6 months. That's also a sensible security plan not to leave mail accounts open to hacking when the original user doesn't use them.

Anyway, Google's tactics have won today. Google would prefer you use the Gmail app just like AoL suggest a better option is to use the AoL app.

For anyone else that wishes to collect their Gmail via TalkTalk Mail then the proven solution is in this thread. I've tested myself that it does work.

OCE_Ady

Gondola thanks for your contribution as always your input adds considerable value to the community in aid of other community members. 

Ady