would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

All inbox emails gone except most current

5 REPLIES 5
Sarahdamian
First Timer

Hi,

sorry if this as been posted before but all my Tiscali account emails have disappeared from my inbox except for the most current ones. I had hundreds of emails in my inbox but now only have 8! Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Sarahdamian 

Could be a mailbox fault but the usual reason for this classic symptom is that an email client software like Outlook for example has connected to the mailbox and has been set to download all messages from the Inbox and to delete messages older than 2 weeks. (The period is variable and can be set for no deletion).

The email client software will be set up as a POP3 account and the messages will be downloaded and exist only on that one device.

So the question is: have you recently connected or adjusted the settings on a new device to collect your emails?

If not you then it's either a mailbox fault or you should change the email password to secure the mailbox.  Do you need help to do this?

Please do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es) with any relevant other notes and finally save changes. TalkTalk's Community Team OCE will then locate your registered TalkTalk details.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Community Team

Hi Sarahdamian, another common culprit is when people give their relatives an old device that's been setup to collect mail, but not used since it was replaced. The new owner/user turns it on and it automatically collects the mail. I know it seems unlikely, but it happens a lot more than you'd think. 

Sarahdamian
First Timer

Hi. How would I know if the device has been set up to do this?

Sarahdamian
First Timer

Hi, thanks. Yes some help to this would be greatly appreciated.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Sarahdamian 

Changing the mailbox password is the best way of securing your messages so that only you have control of what happens to the mailbox using devices in your own hands.

In the sign in for TalkTalk Mail (Click here), after entering the tiscali email address there's a Forgotten your Password? link. Select that to see options for receiving a password reset. 

If there's just the option of sending a reset to the same email address then that means you should set up Reset details - an alternative email address and optionally a mobile number to receive a reset link or code. 

After you sign in to TalkTalk Mail you have the ability to set up Reset details for a self-help password change.  Update your reset details is an option on the main menu.

Menu options - Update your reset details.png

Having added an alternative email address and optionally a mobile number you are now fully set up for password changes via the mailbox when you can sign in and via one or the other alternative when you cannot sign in.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer