Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Blocking emails from blocked senders

21 REPLIES 21
Popular Poster

Hello. New to this forum.

I've been getting a lot of spam-type emails supposedly from different sources but with the same format of my address which suggests they have been coming from (or given away by) the same source. CBD oil and Bitcoin seem to be favourites but there are many others. Every time I block the email contact it tells me they have been added to the blocked senders list (wherever that is!). However I still get emails from these addresses, just telling they come from a blocked sender, so I still have to delete them! I'd like to be able to really block these emails without having to delete them each time! I don't want to have to set up a "rule" for each sender as there are lots of them. Can anyone advise whether I can simply have a list of blocked senders, and how to set up the necessary rules or whatever.

Many thanks for any suggestions. Steve

Community Manager - TT Staff

Hi, 

You can just mark them as spam from the inbox in webmail, this will add to your list of blocked senders, your other option is to create a rule in webmail for a list of senders to alwasy go to deleted or spam and then just add to said list for the given rule. 

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Popular Poster

Many thanks for the very helpful advice Stephen.

One problem I have is that I use the Mail app on Mac rather than webmail. This doesn't give the option to mark an email as Spam, but it does still give me the option to add an email address to a list of blocked senders (you just say "block contact") though I don't know how to find this. Is there no way I can then tell Talktalk to discard/delete/move to bin all emails on the blocked list as they arrive? If that's what you're describing below (sorry if I misunderstood!) what would the rule look like to do this? I'm afraid I'm a complete novice at creating rules!

I'm also assuming that a rule created in Webmail would carry through to an Email App?

Many thanks once again for all your help with this. Steve

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Steve, there is a way to do this. You need to log into webmail to modify your email filters list through email settings.  You can choose to discard the mails with particular content or from certain sender.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Popular Poster

Many thanks Ady

I’d like to do this but the content of these Spam emails is always different and the senders are often different. If I could create a list and then add each  sender to this list as they come in and then make a rule that discards/deletes every sender on this list that would be great, but I just don’t know how to do this! The filter rules have an add condition and an action box but I can’t see what I would have to put in these boxes to make this work.
Sadly it looks like I’m going to have to continue deleting these emails as they come in - very frustrating!
Thanks anyway.
Steve 

Hi steve, if you do it through the mark as spam button in mail you'll speed things up. 

Ady

Participant

I have read the responses to someone who wanted advice on blocking emails from selected senders - it generally says you should use the "Mark as Spam" header but I have found this does not work as I regularly receive emails from Bitcoin, CBD oils, Tinitus sufferers and Supermarket "Prizes" from Lidl, Morrisons etc and I have blocked these but the same emails are received the following day!

When the new Talktalk email platform was launched I discovered the "Create Filter Rule" option and used this with some success then after a while I lost access to all my emails, after waiting for my system to be repaired I rang one of the UK engineers in desperation and during the course of the conversation I mentioned I had used this rule to block emails - he explained that that was probably the reason I had lost all my emails and I shouldn't be using it so could I "undelete" all the rules I had set up - surprise surprise my emails system worked again...

I see this facility is still showing - can I now use it without fear of losing access to all my emails again?

Hoping someone can help me to get rid of a very annoying problem!

Popular Poster

Yes that was me! I get emails from exactly the same set of senders as Dave! The community advisers (correct term?) have suggested the same thing i.e. mark as spam or write a rule to exclude these emails. Given Dave's experience I'm glad I'm too incompetent to write a rule! It's too early to say whether the Spam method is working although I have seen one or two of the same messages coming through after marking as Spam.

Is Talktalk the only messaging system that doesn't properly allow you to block unwanted messages?

Many thanks to Dave for the very helpful post.

Steve

Participant

We were both probably victims of the last TalkTalk hacking when many thousands of customers email address were stolen - these would then be sold on at a few pence per address to scammers from all over the world!

Dave

Popular Poster

Many thanks to Dave 

I can now confirm that the "Mark as Spam" option doesn't work. I'm still getting e-mails from exactly the same senders as I previously got and had marked as Spam. Given the problems Dave described with writing filter rules, I'm not keen on doing that even if I knew what commands to use to write one! So I'm afraid it's back to where I was before! 

If you think your mail has been picked up as part of a hack pop it in haveibeenpwned.com. It will tell you which hacks your email has been picked up from. Most show 4 or 5 seperate instances. 

Ady

Popular Poster

Thanks for this suggestion.

It would be more helpful if you qwrw able to confirm whether the "Mark as Spam" feature actually works and/or write the commands that would go into a rule to filter out unwanted emails.

Hi steveHG, mark as spam doesn't permanently mark a sender as spam. It is compared to a shared list to see if it scores as spam. If it does then it will be permanently be marked as spam. If you want to choose to immediately mark an email/sender as spam you need to setup filter rules to block them from your  mailbox.

Ady

Popular Poster

Many thanks Ady,

So if I continually mark these items as Spam as they come in, will they eventually get onto the shared list, or do lots of other people have to mark these as Spam too? If so, how many do you need before they qualify as Spam and get blocked?

I still don't know how to write a filter rule to block these mails from my mailbox so unless somebody can give me the actual commands to do this, I think for the moment I am going to have to give up on this. Thanks anyway.

Whizz Kid

@steveHG 

Sadly Steve in my experience neither option actually works. I use the "mark as spam" button on all of the crap and have several filter rules to supposedly block emails regarding bitcoin/cannabis oil/supermarket vouchers etc etc but they all just keep coming, currently at a rate of about 10 every day. And as you have found it's not "new" spammers - it's the same ones that have been flagged up day after day after day.

Like many others here I fear it is because TalkTalk just couldn't care less.

Hi steveHG, I'm not privvy to the number of times it would have to be marked as spam and if I were I wouldn't be permitted to post it as it would give spammers information we don't want them to have.

Ady

Popular Poster

Many thanks for this.

It sounds as though a number of us are getting emails from exactly the same group of "people". Talktalk claim to block senders who send a lot of these and are marked as Spam, but clearly this is not happening. Shame

I've already raised this with the email admin teams. They've asked the cloudmark team to investigate to make sure that the filters are functioning correctly. 

Ady

Popular Poster

The blocking procedure clearly still isn't working. I get a daily blizzard of emails from the same set of senders, The list of culprits includes Bitcoin, CBD/Cannabis oil/Gummies, BTC, New arrivals rising up the charts are Proper Focus and Wifi Booster. And of course there's the lovely Esmeralda. I've religiously sent them to Spam but they still keep coming.

Is there nothing that can be done as this is making me seriously considering moving from Talktalk ( despite the hassle that would mean). Ans please don't tell me to write a complicated rule that doesn't work, and may even delete your emails.

I'm assuming this is the result of the Talktalk leak of email addresses when TT was under the tenure of Dido Harding, now head of our wonderful Covid test, track and trace system. Has anyone who joined Talktalk since then had these same problems?

Community Star

Hi steveHG 

Once your email address is known to spammers it's a relentless task to try and block the spam.

Q. Why am I getting spam and what can I do?

A. Spammers and scammers have discovered your email address. From here on it's a relentless fight to avoid spam and phishing scams that fool you into revealing personal data. To completely avoid the unsolicited mail you can use a filter rule to accept mail into the Inbox from wanted senders only. This rule does need to be updated as you accept new contacts. Or you can migrate your contacts to use a new talktalk.net address for a mailbox created in your MyAccount. Delete the old email address and mailbox when your contacts are all using the new mailbox.

Q. I'm blocking spam senders. So why does the same spam reappear the next day and the day after that?

A. Blocking email senders is good for any sender that isn't sending spam. A spammer will regularly change the sending email address and use various tricks to fool the recipient about the From: address that trying to block spam sender addresses is a waste of your time.

Q. Why does TalkTalk claim to block spam?

A. TalkTalk customers using TalkTalk Mail webmail can select email(s) to Mark as Spam. Don't use this feature in place of unsubscribing from mailing lists. Do Mark as Spam the unsolicited spam mail messages. This alerts the Cloudmark filters to use the example to help fingerprint typical spam content. Don't expect an immediate block of spam because to trigger the filters needs input from other sources to minimise false positives. When mail is detected as unauthenticated or having a spam fingerprint then it is blocked.

You say you want a filter rule that will work and won't block your mail. So try this.

Put your wanted contacts and their addresses in a Filter rule. Adding an action to mark email as flagged will simply Flag your wanted contacts with a star flag. Then you're on the way to sorting Spam from Ham. if you set the Inbox Sort by feature as Sort by Flag then only mail from these wanted contacts will be displayed.

Review the Inbox by reverting the Sort by feature to Date to see if you've missed any wanted contacts from your Filter rule.

Filter rule - flag contacts

Just Edit the rule and Save to add new wanted contact addresses.

This is an easy introduction to using Filter rules to do neat things. I use Filter rules all the time to flag and file mail into folders.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer