cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

CAN'T SEND EMAIL - 'The server response was: g6PBew2xzCbAZ Authentication Required (TT401)'

34 REPLIES
Highlighted
madainat
Conversation Starter

anyone know what this means ......? It's so specific and whilst I'm not a techie, it must mean something and indicate what the issue/ problemis?  I'm returning this again after a few months off because I want to be able to send email on my main MAC again instead of having to use my ipad which strangely allows me to send emails without the above problem. We are Apple clients but this has worked perfectly well on TT until about 4 years ago. Cheers 

n/a
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @madainat

Just check that the email account is working ok and that you can login using webmail (Click here)

This is just to check that it's not a login issue, i.e. a wrong password, disguised as some other issue.

The error message indicates that authentication is required.

• The email sending name does not match the domain
    i.e. a talktalk.net email account cannot send on behalf of a different account
  • The server settings are not as expected
    Are you using the recommended IMAP settings for talktalk.net email?
 Account Type   IMAP (recommended)
Login / Username username@talktalk.net
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security SSL
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Security STARTTLS
Outgoing Authentication Yes
 Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer *
madainat
Conversation Starter

thanks for getting back Gondola ......as far as I can see we have those settings showing correctly but we also have an authentication field on 'Server settings' which offers these options:   

External (TLS client certificate)

kerberos version 5 (GSSAPI) 

NTLM

MD5 Challenge - Response

Password

which one do we tick ( currently set to password) ?

cheers Madainat

n/a
madainat
Conversation Starter

sorry meant to add webmail works fine 

n/a
Gondola
Community Star

...Looking at those authentication settings, have you got an option that says NONE?  If you have then try that.

madainat
Conversation Starter

Hi again, no we don't - just those 5 options

n/a
Gondola
Community Star

...OK, then it will be authentication by email password. Which means it's important to get the right password for the sending email address - the from address which must be a talktalk.net email address as you've confirmed you're using the settings as shown in my earlier post.

What I suggest is to put that email address in your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) Private Notes at the bottom of the page and save changes. The Community support OCE's (TalkTalk team) will then be able to link this topic to your TalkTalk email account to check.

You might consider taking and posting screenshots of your email settings on the MAC but obscure the first part of any email address.

Community Team

Hi madainat, let us know how you you get on. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

madainat
Conversation Starter

Hi Ady no still the same old server message ! Did the screengrab I sent or the account check yieldanything? Cheers 

n/a
Community Team
madainat
Conversation Starter

Hi again, we are using Sierra - version 10.12.6

n/a
madainat
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris any thoughts on my last message? Namely that ' we are using Sierra - version 10.12.6'

cheers   Madainat 

n/a
Community Team

Hi madainat, can you post the settings you're using in both macmail and the mail app. You can leave out your login part but give me all the other settings you're using please.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

madainat
Conversation Starter

Hi Ady I posted yesterday and just now with screen grabbs  but messages arent showing, being blocked possibly as they have files so will do this as test without files. ....

n/a
madainat
Conversation Starter

yes clearly cant attach files - sorry fo the delays but any suggestions ?

n/a
Community Team

You can send them to me in Private Messages.

madainat
Conversation Starter
madainat
Conversation Starter

Hi Ady did you get the screen settings via private messages and any updates about what we can do to be able to send emal again? 

many thanks 

n/a
Community Team

I did. I've added your email address to Outlook on a Windows PC and it worked perfectly. I'm now going to do the same on a macbook pro to see if I get the same result. I'll post back shortly with the results.

Community Team

I'm getting exactly the same results as you. I've contacted the email admins to see if there's something I'm missing. I'll post back when I hear from them.