cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

CAN'T SEND EMAIL - 'The server response was: g6PBew2xzCbAZ Authentication Required (TT401)'

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Ok I've created a new account to test with and at first got the error. Then I went back to the account and retyped the password and now it's working perfectly. Can you try the same and create a brand new account to test this with? I know we want to get the main account working and we will, but I want to be able to test without risking your email account. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

hi again Ady - not getting anywhere this end I'm afraid same old, same old .....set up new email address which created a Talktalk mailbox - now when I send from that it either changes to my original address or I get: 

'the server response was: mHLkeylAqdkCJ Authentication Required (TT401)

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

Sending from: (null)'

What should this server list be showing and do we have different passwords for the TT account and our email addresses ? Is this correct ?

so many questions and must be very difficult for you to do this remotely,so many variables, I'm beginning to think it needs you in front of this MAC  unless you can send me a list of exactly how all the settings should be on all the relevant screens ! cheers madainat

n/a
Highlighted

I had the same settings as you. All that I did differently was I got a pop up box and when I typed the password there it worked straight away. Your settings are correct and I know that the password I used was right, but for some reason it was happy. I'm working to find a better solution for you, but I suspect there's something in the mail app. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

ok thanks Ady we 'll wait to hear from you - can you clear up this business of the passwords ? should there be only one password?. We have an overall TT one for the email account, is that the one being requested at on the server settings tab at 'Accounts' which I'm accessing via the connection doctor? Cheers 

n/a
Highlighted

There should be one password for each mail account. That is the password requested.  

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi again - any further thoughts on this that I can try ? On connection doctor we get 'trying to log into this IMAP account failed ' as well as the the usual:

'opAnegEoHLSHJ Authentication Required (TT401)'  on the individual message 

Re: passwords these are the same as TT account password but not requested each time we log into email (as opposed to whe using webmail),  rather they are on the server settings tabs for incoming/outgoing mail 

cheers madainat

n/a
Highlighted

Do you know how you get to this page? 

Image result for mac mail advanced settings

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi again sorry for the delays in getting back sometimes,  my work patterns don't always allow a quick response but I will always respond in time!

To answer your question,  yes I've been at this screen before but we have 'server settings' tab instead of the 'advanced' tab that you have,  ....on our accounts screen there is an 'Advanced IMAP Settings button which wants an IMAP Path Prefix? Also has TLS Certificate field currently set at 'None' 

n/a
Highlighted

Ok we're going to have to add some settings in there. Are you using High Sierra? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Highlighted

I've done more testing this morning with a colleague who is not an "expert" at email. She successfully loaded the mailbox of another customer she's dealing with who is having the same issue as you're having. She was surprised how easy it was and how little she had to do. 

If you remove the mail account from macmail and add it again when it says this account needs to be setup manually just next through and then when it wants you to press create make sure it says 587 in the box ssl is ticked and the box below says password. Then click create. At that point the mailbox should populate and should work normally. #

I really don't know what else to tell you as your account is working perfectly when I test it and my tests do now show working install on macmail everytime and I've now tested on High Sierra and El Capitan. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

ok I'll give this a try cheers Madainat

n/a
Highlighted

I just can't think of anything else to suggest. It just works on every machine and every time I test. I have heard that a couple of customers had contacted Apple and had help in sorting this, but in all honesty if you're using the right settings then you should have no problems. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi again ADY been away but tried your suggestion of building account again from the Apple side and that's worked - hooray we can finally send email on the IMAC again after nearly 2 years! Thanks for all your help. cheers Madainat

n/a
Highlighted

Fantastic. Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted.