would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

CANNOT ADD EXISTING MAILBOX OR CREATE 5 NEW ONES - PERNAMENT ERROR

24 REPLIES 24
hothfield
Participant

Hi Community,

Since the death of my partner who was the TT customer account holder, emails addressed to him have arrived regarding associating the talktalk.net email address we shared to a TT account in order for it not to be deleted after 3rd December 2019, unless he pays for Webmail Plus at £50 per annum etc etc

When I notified TT of his death I was told I would be able to keep the talktalk.net email address when they set up a new customer account in my name, transferring existing services to me and taking card details etc.

On 6th October I asked for advice re this and was told to use the My Services - Manage Webmail -  Add an existing Mailbox -  portal in  'My Account' .

When I  add  the details of the existing mailbox a green tick appears both for the address and the password but when I click 'Add' an error message appears stating that something has gone wrong and to try again later.

I also cannot create a new Mailbox either the same error message appears.

I would like to keep the Mailbox I have been using before its deleted but cannot associate it with my TalkTalk account.

If TT customer services had told me that that would be necessary, back in April, I would have been able to associate the Mailbox with the account that was set up for me. However they did not. Unless the fault has been in existence for months prior to that, I wouldn't know.

So I can't associate this Mailbox with my own TT account or create 5 new ones either. Have had numerous two hour 'chats' to no avail and calls to Technical and Customer services. This has been an issue now for 4 weeks and the deadline for deletion approaches. 

'Incidents' are 'opened' and then 'shut' again with no resolution to the problem.

I have no Mailboxes in My Account  but am still using the 'legacy' one which I wish to continue to use.  SURELY AN TECHNICAL ENGINEER CAN SORT THIS?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @hothfield 

Please do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es) with any relevant other notes about the former MyAccount so it can be located and finally save changes. TalkTalk's Community Team OCE will then locate your registered TalkTalk details.

The solution is to unattach your talktalk mailbox from the former MyAccount therefore enabling you to add it to your current MyAccount.

The TalkTalk OCE will verify your details and authorise this for you.

Gondola - Offline : No posts or PM's

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

hothfield
Participant
Thank you Gondola. I will do this now!
Community Team

Hi hothfield, I've sent you a personal message. 

Ady

hothfield
Participant

Thanks - I have replied the same way. 

Community Team

I've responded. 

Ady

hothfield
Participant

I do hope this can be resolved before the 3rd December deadline as I'd really hate to lose this floating/unattached mailbox. 

hothfield
Participant

...and of course I know its the weekend: only week 6 starts tomorrow ............;)

Community Team

You won't be losing the email address. I'll do everything in my power to ensure that. 

Ady

hothfield
Participant
Ok thank you for the re-assurances, Ady
Concerned User
Team Player

Hello Hothfield, This is very similar to my own situation with my Father passing away in 2018, I was paying all his bills I rang up Talktalk to inform them of his death and had to open a new account for his phone but I have still not been able to move the email addresses I was using to pay his bills to the new account. They keep telling me they are working on it, but this has been going on since they informed me I would have to pay for email addresses that are not on an active account. I now feel that I should be paid for not having the email service that I should have as a Talktalk customer. £50 a year plus £5 each month I have not had this service associated with the account.

Regards,

Concerned User.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Concerned User 

Hothfield has an assurance from TalkTalk that the mailbox set up for personal exclusive use will be safeguarded. 

@Concerned User wrote: ...I have still not been able to move the email addresses I was using to pay his bills...

But you're now confirming that the mailboxes in your late father's MyAccount were set up for his use and his personal affairs i.e. payment of his bills. As such you have no automatic right to take over those email addresses because they were not for your personal use. I assume you did have Power of Attorney. Normal Data protection rules apply.

I have however re-escalated your own thread to see what's happening for you.

Gondola - Offline : No posts or PM's

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

blodwynblod
Conversation Starter

don't hold your breath over this , there appears to be an ongoing technical problem over deleting mailboxes that have not been used for a few months as they are apparently deleted from talktalk's main database , I suspect it dates back to the massive data theft they suffered and in reconstructing their database possibly thousands of mailboxes( or more) have been omitted , at the time I received an email from talktalk saying I might have been one of the stolen accounts and now i can't delete or link any mailboxes, let's hope it is all cleared up before they start deleting regularly used accounts

Community Team

Hi blodwynblod, you're assumptions re data theft are I'm pleased to say incorrect. This is simply a broken process that needs fixing. 

Ady

hothfield
Participant
I have today received a phishing email stating that instructions have been received to close my email account - and the address was the one I'm having issues with - and to click on a link to stop this being actioned otherwise it will be terminated.
It is clearly not from TalkTalk though the Talk Talk Logo is used and there is an obvious spelling error of the word 'server' however it is rather a coincidence don't you think, that I should receive this whilst I'm experiencing my current issue. I cannot enter 'My Account' at all and I'm hoping this is because the team are working on my fault. I'm hoping there has not been a security breach.
hothfield
Participant
Ady, I have private messaged you regarding this as a matter of urgency. Perhaps somebody could confirm what is happening.
hothfield
Participant
...Hello? Is there anybody there? Earth to TalkTalk are you receiving me? Over
Community Team

Hi hothfield, I've replied to your PM. Sorry for the delay, I was on another workstream yesterday. 

Ady

Community Team

Hi hothfield, I've had confirmation that your mail address has been linked to your account now. 

Ady

hothfield
Participant

Thanks for posting Ady. I have logged in to 'MyAccount'>'Manage Webmail' but I still have the pink banner stating Function Unavailable, so cannot yet confirm back that the address has been added.