Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Can't access old lineone.net account

9 REPLIES 9
Cookie34
Chatterbox

I've been trying access my old lineone.net email account but just keep getting message saying there's a peoblem and to contact Support. I am a Talktalk customer. I've seen similar posts with the same problem, and so I've added the necessary details to Private Notes in my profile, so can you fix this for me please ?   Susan

sh64
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Susan

I'm guessing that the system has locked the email account which is why you're getting the message.  The email system detects weak passwords* or compromised email accounts and changes the password or locks an account for customer security.  But if it's an account that hasn't been used for over 180 days then it'll be suspended or even deleted.

Have you previously set up Password Recovery for the email address? You could use the Reset your Password option. Or as you're a TalkTalk broadband customer you can change your email password in MyAccount > My Services > Webmail - Manage Webmail if the email is listed there as one of the 5 email addresses.

This topic has been escalated to the TalkTalk Community support team and the email expert will respond to you, right here, to help you with account unlocking or password recovery.

* The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (Regulation (EU) 2016/679) comes into force on 25 May 2018. The GDPR is a regulation intended to strengthen data protection for all individuals within the European Union (EU). Password strength is crucially important in order to help secure and protect personal data.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Cookie34
Chatterbox

I've just tried the option for resetting the password.. did it, but still getting the same message 'Login is disabled because there is an issue with your account'.

sh64
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Susan

The OCE will pick this up, hopefully tomorrow, and look to see what the issue is.

In the meantime, what I suggest you do just in case the account has been compromised, is to run anti-virus scans and malware scans on your devices just to make sure you don't have issues there with things like keyloggers capturing passwords.

You didn't say whether the email account has been used by you in the last 180 days or whether it might be suspended because of non-use.

Cookie34
Chatterbox

Hi...yes its probably suspended because it must be over 180 days . I just wanted to access it because I'm trying to change the email address on my Nectar account.. they've been contacting me on the lineone.net email and I can't access it ! Nectar can't help because I can't remember all the security memorable data from when I set up Nectar, years ago...so i feel like I'm going round in circles ! 

sh64
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Susan

I hope the lineone email account is just suspended because then it can be recovered for you. That would be the ideal solution. However, I should tell you that after 180 days the email account is flagged for deletion. After a year of non-use the email account can be deleted and is neither recoverable nor recreatable.

With Nectar you just need the Nectar card number and a password to login. Nectar is now fully owned by Sainsburys so hopefully their customer service will have been brought up to the way higher standard of Sainsburys customer service.  It ought to be possible to use your registered details of name, address and phone number and a memorable name to authenticate your ownership.  I was asked for my mother's maiden name, for example.

However, if Nectar won't play nicely, what I would then do is to spend any accumulated points on the card (Sainsburys groceries at your registered 'home store' for example) and just register another card with Nectar and any other linked organisations earning you points. It's my suggested workaround so that you don't lose out. But wait and see what the TalkTalk OCE says about recovering the lineone email account.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Susan, I've had to raise a fault ticket for you. The account is suspended and it won't reactivate. You should get a call with the new password once the account is reactivated. Please let us know how you get on. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Cookie34
Chatterbox

Hi...thanks for the help and info....I did what you suggested, and spent the points I had, at Argos ! Then I set up a new Nectar account, and am collecting points on that. I never had a phone call with a new password, so I assume my email account with lineone.net was deleted , oh well never mind !...Susan

sh64
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Susan

I'm pleased that my advice ensured you didn't miss out on the accumulated Nectar points. 

TalkTalk Ady did say he couldn't reactivate the suspended email account so I guess there was nobody better to find a way to recover it for you.  After 180 days of non-use an email account will get suspended and flagged for deletion. Deletion means permanently deleted with no means of recovery or reinstatement and nobody wants to be the bearer of that news.

Thanks for taking time out to let us know the outcome from your viewpoint.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Susan, the account hasn't been deleted. It's more complicated than that with the activated deactivated situation. It should have been restored by now though. I've sent a chaser to the team to get you a call with the new password if it's now been activated correctly. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.