Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Can't change password on email account

13 REPLIES 13
SAH0904
Chatterbox

Hi, I have held a talktalk.net email account since 2008. Recently I have discovered I am unable to change my password on my email address. Both my email address and my My Account address end in @talktalk.net  When I log in to My Account I am able to change the password for my account address. But, my email address doesn't show in the menu. And so I can't change the password. I have spent over four hours on the phone and tried to resolve the problem via webchat and email as well, all to no avail. TalkTalk have told me via email that my email address is a 'legacy address' and is 'suspended'. But the email is working fine. It also has the same ending as the My Account address, which is visible and whose password I can therefore change. So this doesn't really wash with me. What can I do? As it stands I am unable to change my password and so I am vulnerable to security breach. All TalkTalk suggest is creating a new email address, but, having had the same one for ten years, and with it linked to so many accounts, I really don't want to have to do this.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @SAH0904

If you know the password to the talktalk.net email address you can add it to your MyAccount if there's space in the 5 email addresses allowed.

• Login to My Account
  • Then choose My Services from the grey header bar
  • In the dropdown menu, select Manage webmail
    (under the Webmail heading)
  • Now you'll see your Email and password page, with a table showing all of your active email addresses
  • In the penultimate row, select Manage existing address
  • Enter the talktalk.net email address and password
  • Click the Submit button

You'll now be good to go with a new email address added to your MyAccount and you can now change the password to a new ultra-strong one.  Just follow the guidelines.

But if that doesn't work just let me know and I'll alert the TalkTalk email expert to see if the account can be 'unsuspended'. 

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

SAH0904
Chatterbox

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for trying to help.

I forgot to mention I have already tried this. When I do I get a message in red saying that the email address 'cannot be added to this account because it is already linked to another My account'. But, I don't have another My Account? Thoroughly confused and frustrated.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @SAH0904

You had a previous service account and an email account with TalkTalk in 2008. Did you leave TalkTalk for another ISP before returning?

The original email address would have been linked to the former MyAccount that's now archived or suspended.

That would be a reason why you cannot manage the email address now via your current MyAccount.

But if the email address has remained in use and used at least once in the last 180 days then a new password should be obtainable. Let me know.

SAH0904
Chatterbox

Hi Gondola,

I joined TalkTalk in 2008 and have always been with Talk Talk. I had the same email address for my email and My Account. There was a break in 2010 when I moved house, but that wasn't me leaving TalkTalk at all, simply a break in service because the transfer did not go smoothly. There was also some 'to do' in 2014 and a staff member at Talk Talk changed my My Account details so that the email address for that is slightly different. But the original email address (which had also been my My Account address up to that point) was and is still live and I use it every day!  Hope this helps.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @SAH0904

I've drawn this topic to the attention of the TalkTalk Community support team and an OCE will respond to you right here to help you get a new ultra-strong password for the TalkTalk.net email address.

You'll need to ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and put the email address in Private Notes and save changes. The Community support OCE will then be able to link this topic to your current TalkTalk service account and then look at Private Notes to see the email account that requires a new password.

Just a heads up that because I suspect the email address is inextricably linked to an orphaned MyAccount entry (your original MyAccount from 2008) you'll not currently be able to change the password yourself.  You'll be able to come back here to request support for any future password changes though.

SAH0904
Chatterbox

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for your reply and advice. I've done as you suggest with my profile so hopefully something can now be done to change my password.

Thanks also for advising me of your thoughts about what might happen next. I will be cross if I have to keep seeking others' help to change my password going forward (especially as I didn't 'orphan' myself) but it is better than not being able to do so at all!

I'd also like to say thanks generally for taking an interest in this case and trying to help me.

Community Team

Hi SAH0904, I'm sorry to delay this. I've sent you a private message please reply to my message. 

Community Team

Thanks for your PM. I've deleted the message and have submitted a request to have the email address added to your MyAccount. I'll post back once it's added. 

SAH0904
Chatterbox

Thanks Ady, I appreciate your help.

Community Team

You're very welcome. 

keithbridle
Team Player

Hello!

did you manage to get this to work?  I’m facing exactly the same problem!

b

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @keithbridle 

It's normal for an email address to remain linked to an archived MyAccount which is why TalkTalk advice is to register a new email address with MyAccount and not try to re-use an email address that's been used before.

Having said that, OCE_Ady has had success in the past in getting authorisation to release an email address from an archived MyAccount to reassociate it with a new MyAccount with the same customer.

If you wish to make a request then best to do so by starting your own topic - post a New Message here.

keithbridle
Team Player

Happy to report we solved this one - talktalk weren't great about the fact that someone had clearly hacked the account to change the details for where to send change password links to, but actually it was pretty straightforward to reset the contact data and then change the password.  

Phew!

I will try contacting @OCE_Ady once we get a TalkTalk account again (currently unable to supply us! 😞  ).