Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Can't reset password

6 REPLIES 6
First Timer

Hi

I am setting up a new tablet for one of my customers.

His old tablet is quite old and his daughter bought him something faster for doing video chats etc.

Unfortunately he doesn't know his talktalk email password so I can't set up his email account on the new tablet.

I've gone through the forgotten password routing on the talktalk email login page which should send a reset link to his email address.

I have his old tablet which is logged into his email account so that should be ok.

However no reset link ever arrives.

I have sent emails from my own account to him and they are received on the old tablet so I know his email is working.

The talktalk website says their contact centers are closed due to COVID-19 so we can't get help there.

Any suggestions would be welcome please.

Thanks

Mark

Community Star

Hi @mgibbs 

If you're logged in to TalkTalk Mail (webmail) and you've found that the only password reset option is a link sent to the email account itself then that should work.

There were server delivery delays this morning of up to 3 hours. OK now. But if a reset link arrives late then it will have auto-timed out as it's only valid for 30 minutes.

When you do sign in via Webmail you have the ability to set up Reset details for a self-help password change.  Update your reset details is an option on the main menu.

Menu options - Update your reset details

You can set your customer's mobile 'phone and alternate email address as the Reset details and then you'll have extra options to carry out a password change.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

First Timer

Hi

The problem is that we don't have his password so can't get logged into webmail.

Using the "forgotten your password?" link I enter his email address in order to get the email with a reset link in it but that email never arrives at his old tablet.

Emails from elsewhere are delivered ok but not the expected one from talktalk

Regards

Mark

Community Star

Hi mgibbs 

Ah, when you said you were logged in I assumed that was webmail.

I suppose it's an email client that doesn't have a password manager?

And setting the client up for non SSL/TLS and doing a wireshark trace is a bit OTT for a simple password recovery?

Password Reset details should have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email and or mobile number can receive a password reset. but if they're not already set up I'll alert the TalkTalk Community team for your customer. They'll need to verify him as the registered email user, secure his mailbox and set up new Reset details so he can get the password changed.

He'll need to register for Community so if you could let him know what to do that would be great. Then he'll post a request here in the Email forum.

First Timer

Hi

I don't want to play with the client setting as if it goes wrong he'll have no emails at all.

Its just the client as supplied on the old Samsung Tablet.

Normally when a customer has had this sort of problem in the past its not been a major issue as you can always ring tech support to get it changed.But as talktalk are not providing phone support for email due to covid-19 he's a bit stuck.

He's retired and not very computer literate but I can get him registered on here. Hopefully the registration email will get through 🙂

How do we get the necessary details to you to verify him - is that just responding to an email you send? I'm aware that any email addresses given out on here are public.

Regards

Mark

Community Star

Hi mgibbs 

If he registers on Community and posts a request here in the email forum for Reset details to be set up then the rest will follow. I cannot say it'll be a quick fix. 

He'll need an active email address for the Community registration to be validated.

First Timer

Hi

Ok, thanks.

I'll get him registered to start the ball rolling.

Cheers

Mark