Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Can't send TalkTalk email unless on home WiFi

10 REPLIES 10
Binklaire
Chatterbox

Hi i cannot use my mobile device to send emails from my mobile phone unless linked to home wifi. Have deleted account and reset as advised in other threads - no improvement. I would appreciate it if talktalk would advise if this is ever going to work as I use this talktalk account for some business email and find i can only respond at the end of day when i get home.

No problem if this is how things are, but I could do with knowing so I can manage people expectations.

thanks K 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Binklaire

Essentially, if it's an insecure legacy email, typically one that uses port 25 to send (Onetel, Homecall, Toucansurf, ukgateway etc) then to be authenticated it must originate on the TalkTalk network.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Binklaire
Chatterbox

Thanks for resonse. It is a talktalk email account I use to send/ recieve email. Ok recieving but cannot send 😞

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Binklaire

The 'phone mail app, if it's gmail, will usually set itself up ok for talktalk.net mail but others might not. iphones are particularly prone to using the wrong settings.

First, are you using POP3 or IMAP settings?

the full set of settings including port numbers are here.

The send settings are:

• Outgoing mail server: smtp.talktalk.net
  • Outgoing Port: 587
  • Outgoing Security: STARTTLS
  • Outgoing Authentication: yes (sign in with email username and password)

Binklaire
Chatterbox

I will try this tomorrow when away from home and update on here. cheers for you help 🙂

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Binklaire

Before you go, you didn't say what settings you had on the 'phone.  Were they different to the recommended settings?

When you do set up the app at home it will usually verify the settings for you so you can be sure of the email working. Just make sure it is sending ok with the recommended settings. Then you'll be ok when away from home.

Binklaire
Chatterbox

Hi, I reset with your recommendations and tested an email from phone to self. This worked ok, but I have not had problems when at home and linked to wifi. Hopefully the new settings will work when out and about. If so I will be so thankful as clients email me in the day and I cannot respond on mobile phone until i get home.

Will let you know

Community Team

Gondola is always right and having read the thread I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. Please post back to let us know how you get on and don't forget to give Gondola's post a like and if it fixed your problem mark it as best answer.

Binklaire
Chatterbox

Gondola you're a star. Thank you so much. I have finally got email working.

Wouldn't have been able to get this resolved without your help. 

Cheers 🙂 

Gondola
Community Star

...Brilliant!  And thanks for taking time out to let us know.

Come back anytime.

Community Team

Nice one Gondola lovely bit of P2P support.