I wonder if anyone can suggest how to resolve this problem. Since the day last week when Tiscali (and other) emails were off, everything has been working fine EXCEPT we cannot access emails on just one mobile phone. We can log onto Tiscali on our laptops, our tablets and my mobile phone, but my wife's phone keeps saying "Sign in failed", then "Unable to sign into account", then "Enter your password...to sign in". It then rejects the normal password and there is no option for either a password reminder or a new password request. It's a Samsung Galaxy with a Plusnet SIM only using the EE network. The irony is that my wife's phone is far more recent than mine, but I don't have the same problem. Any advice (not too technical, please0 would be welcome.
If your wife is using the Samsung email app on her mobile then abandon that and setup the gMail app.
Carry out the setup using the wi-fi connection to your router. Then when everything is tested and working test the email using mobile data. The EE network will not allow insecure email connections to be set up using port 25 but if you follow the guide here it'll work.
The account should be automatically created and work straight away.
The server settings, should she need them, are as follows: The app should set up an IMAP connection so that's the middle column of settings.
|Account Type||IMAP (recommended)||POP3|
|Login / Usernameemail@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Incoming mail server||imap.tiscali.co.uk||pop.tiscali.co.uk|
|Incoming Security||SSL / TLS
||SSL / TLS|
|Outgoing mail server||smtp.tiscali.co.uk||smtp.tiscali.co.uk|
|Outgoing Security||SSL / TLS
||SSL / TLS|
Thank you for the detailed advice. My wife has tried everything that you suggest, but nothing worked. The message comes up "Couldn't open connection to server". The maddening thing is that it was working perfectly until last week's major blip for Tiscali emails.
Thanks for your help, anyway.
The servers are working well after the transient blip so it will be a glitch / wrong setting on the phone or the email account itself is not accessible.
Check the email account in webmail from home using a browser: https://webmail.talktalk.co.uk
Completely power off the phone and then repower. Sometimes this standard routine is needed.
On the phone double check the email address and password for both incoming and outgoing mail
Check the port settings and SSL security and outgoing authentication.
Thanks for the inquiry, but I'm afraid that we have tried everything that Gondola has suggested and nothing has done the trick.
OK, thanks. Does it make any difference if your wife's mobile is connected to the internet via mobile data or the TalkTalk wifi/internet connection, when trying to access email?
No, Chris, it makes no difference if she tries access via mobile data or our home wifi. Nothing that we have tried gets past the password / connection failed problem.
We tried all the advice given and nothing worked BUT suddenly when we were out after lunch emails started appearing. It was probably via mobile data and at first when we got back home nothing more happened (mobile reception is virtually non-existent in our house), but later on copies of new emails have appeared on the phone. Whether the problem has been solved we hesitate to say and there is no obvious reason why the situation suddenly changed this afternoon. We're just keeping our fingers crossed that after a week's rest the phone is working fully again.
Thanks to both Gondola and Chris for their regular advice.